SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammers510

Questions about planting herbs in same/different containers

Sammers510
7 years ago

This year i'll be planting a container herb garden as well as a few berries and veggies and wanted opinions from experienced gardeners, I don't have any in ground space to spare so all of my plants will be in 1 gal or 7 gal root pouches or in a Mr. Stacky stackable strawberry planter.What I am hoping to plant is Basil, Thai Basil, Dill, Cilantro, Chives, Oregano, Rosemary, Mint, Flat leaf Parsley, Thyme, Sage.

I can easily plant each herb individually in the 1 gal root pouches or Mr. Stacky but I also wanted to know what I could plant combined in the 7 gal root pouch.The root pouches will be on trays and wick water up from the bottom. My novice thought is I could put the two basil's together, the Oregano and Thyme together perhaps with the parsley too? I am not sure what is the best companion for them or what their final growth habit will be like. I know the rosemary is a perennial and will get its own pot.

I usually buy herbs already started but was thinking of starting the cilantro from seed, and wanted to know what else comes up reliable from seed in your experience and whats not worth the trouble? and when to start seeds in the PNW?

My initial thought was to use the Mr. Stacky and do half Stawberries and half herbs but the compartments are so small I don't think the herbs would do well for long term. I now plan to use that for strawberries and pineberries and do the root pouches for everything else.

I really want to be successful and over the years I realize that the best tips and aha moments have come from asking others that already successfully grow these themselves for advice, I don't have much luck with people responding to my questions but I am hopeful to get some advice here.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (6)