SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
designsaavy

Plastic Storage Containers: What works best?

designsaavy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a 36" wide deep drawer that is full of nothing but a large assortment of plastic storage containers and lids. Small, medium, large, extra large and round, oval, square and rectangular. Some with those rubber band seals in the lids you have to remove for washing (which I don't care for). Some are Tupperware ( medium and large round kind from decades ago), Rubbermaid square clear plastic with red lids, and a various others. And what a disorganized mess it becomes!

Frankly, who needs that many?!! I'd like to "start over" and buy good quality, same shaped, easily stored containers that don't take up so much space. I'll need at least one large rectangular one for those long items like leftover pork steaks (regional thing!). Probably need mostly small and medium sized and a couple large.

What works for you?

I'm open to pictures and suggestions!

Comments (48)

• DIY2Much2Do
    7 years ago

We replaced all of ours with several sets of Lock & Lock from QVC, and are very happy with them. There are over 40 containers of various sizes shown in our 30 inch drawer. The nestable sets are very space efficient, storing containers and lids together... however, if you want the smallest one, it's a project.

designsaavy thanked DIY2Much2Do
  • Buehl
    7 years ago

Other than storing items in my pantry, I've been slowly eliminating most of my plastic containers. I don't like to reheat in plastic, so I've been adding to my glass container collection.

Plastic:

• I "archived" all my Rubbermaid containers b/c I found they don't seal as well as Tupperware in general. They are now only used when I send Scramble to my kids in college or during Christmas when I need extra storage for cookies, etc. ["Archived" means I store them in the basement in plastic bags until needed. I don't take up space in my Kitchen with them.]
    • I still have all my Tupperware, but I don't really have all that much. I use them for leftovers that do not need to be reheated - salad, etc. - or large amounts that I know people will only take part of so they won't be reheating in the plastic.
    • I also have those small containers that I used to put Cheerios in when my kids were toddlers. (They're both in college now!)

Glass:

• I have some old & new Pyrex containers that I use for all leftovers that need to be reheated, especially those that are only one or two servings. I also use them for anything that would stain plastic - e.g., chili - even large amounts.
    • The Pyrex comes in both rectangular and round sizes - I have a selection of both shapes in different sizes.

I did keep one shallow rectangular Rubbermaid container that I use to store the lids for all my containers upright and in size order.

Pantry Storage:

• I have Tupperware "pantry" containers - with blue & red tops. The tops are color-coded. Blue means the item is gluten-free and red means the item contains gluten (red for "danger").
    • The pantry containers are all rectangular of varying heights and widths and are stackable. They fit nicely on my 12" deep shelves and with the spacing b/w my pantry shelves.

I don't have pictures right now, but I will try to remember to come back tonight and post pictures!

designsaavy thanked Buehl
  • Related Discussions

Best Plastic Bins for Storage

Q

Comments (13)
    "I prefer Rubbermaid also, but Sterelite seems to be the only option these days." I agree with this. I have more Sterelite ones and they're in the attic. Some have the snap over sides and some have regular lids. I had one regular lid crack along the side/top. Consider buying the snap ones if possible. Kswl - I thought my attic looked decent until I saw that. :) That's awesome!
    ...See More

Food-grade plastic containers for flour storage?

Q

Comments (12)
    As a confirmed pickler, I've had to deal with the issue of odors in food-grade plastic containers. For any recyclers here, these are the instructions I use for removing odors from re-purposed plastic containers. They come from USA Emergency Supply. Â Wash the bucket inside and out with warm, soapy water, then rinse. Â Place the bucket outside in a sunny location. Â Pour 1 cup of baking soda into the bucket and fill with warm water all the way to the top. Stir to dissolve, then put on the lid, or cover with aluminum foil. Â Let the bucket sit in the sun for several days, then empty and rinse out. Â Pour 1 cup of bleach into the bucket and fill with warm water all the way to the top. Stir to mix, then put on the lid, or cover with aluminum foil. Â Let the bucket sit in the sun for several days, then empty. Â Wash again inside and out with warm water and dishwashing liquid, then let dry with the lid off. P.S. If you find the soda does the job, you can skip the bleach, but I've found that's a great sanitation strategy when I've marinated turkey, etc. in a plastic bucket. Carol Here is a link that might be useful: USA Emergency Supply Food Storage FAQ's
    ...See More

How do you store your plastic and glass storage containers? pics?

Q

Comments (11)
    Wow! I'm in good company! I'm probably most like TimberFrame4us. In our new kitchen, I've devoted TWO deep 33" drawers to the plastic containers AND the glass ones are in two 30" drawers in the baking area (along w/mixing bowls, casserole dishes, & soup tureens...by shape) as I can bake in them as well as use them for storage. The glass ones are all Pyrex; but in the plastic, I have a selection of Tupperware, Rubbermaid, and those disposable ones (Ziploc, Glad, etc.) in all sorts of shapes & sizes...rectangular, square, round and little condiment sizes, kiddie snack size, all the way to those big rectangular (great for Christmas cookies). Like Zelmar, I did get rid of all those "misc containers" when I packed up the kitchen for the remodel (a year ago...wow!) I use the disposable ones when I go places so I don't have to worry about getting my containers back. I have noticed that probably 75% of the others have not been used since we moved back into the kitchen...hmmmm...I guess that's telling me something! Time to get ruthless and get rid of (or maybe pack away for awhile) all those I don't use....I bet I can free up one drawer... As to the lids, I took one of the long rectangular Rubbermaid containers and stored all the small-to-medium sized lids. The larger lids that didn't fit sit underneath or stand next to their "mates".
    ...See More

What Kind of Food Storage Containers Do You Like?

Q

Comments (44)
    Mtnfever, I just checked my flour containers. I buy flour in 5# quantities as my containers won't hold 10 lbs. I can't lift 10# easily. I do buy the small bags of Bob's Red Mill specialty flours and keep those in plastic bags in the freezer. Cambro rounds-6 liters, 6 qt., use for no-knead bread dough, not flour. Easier to mix in rounds. Cheap at webstaurantstore.com. (Also parchment paper 100 sheets under 5 bucks.) When I put 5 lbs. flour in these following containers, there is enough headroom left on top, so I can put in 1/2 and 1 cup measures and comfortably scoop flour. These containers have lock n' lock lids. Sterilite, -3.8 liters, 16.2 cups Sterilite, 16c, 3.8 liters, 4 qt Rubbermaid, 15 c, 3.5 liters, taller than others I know you were hoping that Cambro would hold 10 lbs. The 8 qt. Cambro would very likely hold 10-lbs, based on my 5# containers.
    ...See More
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Get rid of the old plastic it's probably dangerous by now. If it is sticky to the touch it is definitely dangerous.

Get rid of anything that doesn't have a matching lid.

Get rid of anything that you find to be a hassle.

Get rid= recycle or thrift store as appropriate.

Think about the size that you actually really use-I find that I use the 2 cup size constantly and all of the other sizes occasionally. If I buy a set, I am buying many pieces that I do not need.

I put all of my plastic in the dishwasher and one of the things that I'm finding is that certain brands accumulate lots of water in the lid and around the ridges and rims and others don't. Before you buy a whole set of anything I would try to buy just a single piece and put it in the dishwasher and see how it goes.

designsaavy thanked practigal
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I got rid of all nearly all the old and bought the new kind one buys by the package in the grocery store (Glad?). They go in the dishwasher nicely, and stack beatuifully.

designsaavy thanked Anglophilia
  • BenjiBoi
    7 years ago

I LOVE these. Fit pretty much everything. Stack away nicely and are sturdy. And inexpensive.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70187363/

designsaavy thanked BenjiBoi
  • DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

I'm following this as well. I made a partial conversion to glass but what do you do when the lid splits? Only adults in the house who are not rough handling, we rarely heat things in the micro and when we do the lids are just loose to prevent splatters, not sealed on. At least the plastic can be recycled when they split.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks to everyone that has commented so far.

The idea of square or rectangular casserole dishes with plastic lids is appealing to me so that I can bake and store in one container. Also, I find that storing in rectangle or square containers fit better in the cabinets than round. I could give my current round casserole dishes to my daughter for when she gets a house.

I don't microwave food in plastic, so besides the glass all I would need are containers for other leftover stovetop cooked items, etc.

I know the skinny rubber gaskets in lids seal well, but I've had issues with them breaking and hard to get them dry inside. So, I think I would prefer just a snap on lid similar to a Tupperware or Rubbermaid. The couple Rubbermaid's I have are holding up well. Just gotta remember not to put tomato sauce items in the plastic!

So, I need to get glass baking dishes with glass AND plastic lids in a square or rectangular shape. Any Brand suggestions besides Pyrex?

Any plastic, square or rectangular, storage containers without the silicone seals that you can suggest?

Being able to see the contents is important to me. That's one thing I don't like about my old Tupperware is that you have to open it to know the contents.

I do suppose I could get small glass containers with plastic lids, but all I see are round.

I do have some cheap, thin plastic containers with lids that came in a multipack. However, some of them got rough inside probably from melting because someone placed food in them that was still too hot.

Years ago, I bought Tupperware collapsible containers thinking it would free-up space. Hated those things! They would collapse when you tried to put the lid on, and food got stuck in the grooves. Just terrible.

I'm hoping to free-up drawer space by downsizing my plastic storage containers.

• gardenerlorisc_ia
    7 years ago

I second the Lock& Lock ones that DIY2 recommended. I love them, they seal very tightly. I get them off eBay.

designsaavy thanked gardenerlorisc_ia
  • friedajune
    7 years ago

I think this recent thread has a lot of useful information, photos, and links.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4480487/flour-sugar-etc-storage-in-drawers?n=11

designsaavy thanked friedajune
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

You need enough storage containers to hold food in fridge without it going moldy - which is not very many. Since most of the food needs to go to the microwave, I hardly ever use plastic. I have about 6 Gladware - from the lunchmeat I buy, and those are for when husband or daughter takes leftovers to work. I rotate new ones in and recycle older. Otherwise I have 4 small pyrex, 3 medium pyrex, 5 small Corningware and 3 larger Corningware. Thats it. Free yourself from unused storage containers.

designsaavy thanked jhmarie
  • ericakn
    7 years ago

I got rid of all of the plastic as well! I now use a mixture of 3 sizes of Mason jars with plastic tops and pyrex. corning wear is an awesome idea!

designsaavy thanked ericakn
  • sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Years ago I ditched all the gladware type stuff and bought a set of Glass Lock Containers at Costco and I've been very happy with them. The lids snap on and won't come loose. The containers store nicely. And since they're glass I have peace of mind reheating them in the mw.

designsaavy thanked sheloveslayouts
  • sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

P.S. My mother still uses those gold/orange/green Tupperware containers. I'd probably feel sad if I ever went to my folks' house and they weren't in the cupboards.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol, I got the gold/orange/green Tupperware at a garage sale for $5. And somehow I've lost one of the lids. How does that happen, for petesake. I don't take them anywhere. :-/

I really like them, but prefer clear containers.

So, I notice many of you don't mind the rubberband-like seals in the containers. I've been rinsing them off and putting them in my third rack of my dishwasher by the silverware. Then I just usually let them air dry. I've had a couple break. I'm afraid to invest money in some nice glass containers if the bands are going to break.

Any recommendations?

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Gosh. I put everything in the dishwasher and I've never had a problem with the glass lock stuff. Hmm. Maybe they have a warranty that could ease your concern?

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Perhaps they're made better than the cheaper plastic, snap-lock containers I have.

• percyb
    7 years ago

If the little tabs on the glass lock break off, glass lock will replace them. You just need to pay for shipping.

designsaavy thanked percyb
  • khinmn59
    7 years ago

I too have the GlassLock containers and love them. Store well, comes in several sizes and shapes and the covers snap on easily. I have never had an issue with the covers either except for one that cracked. The manufacturer replaced it without any trouble. If there is an issue with the silicone bands, they manufacture will just replace the whole lid for you. http://glasslockusa.com/product-category/replacement-parts/

My biggest issue is losing them to my son who uses them for packing his lunches when he comes to visit...

I highly recommend them.

I do have tupperware modular mates for storage of my dry goods and other staples. I just don't like to use tupperware for reheating foods.

designsaavy thanked khinmn59
  • donna_loomis
    7 years ago

For years, we saved plastic containers that "stuff" came in because we recycle. I got so tired of trying to make order of the mess in the cupboard and searching for a long time to find the right lid for the container I wanted to use. When we re-did the kitchen last June, I tossed all that crap and bought two sets of 42 pieces and a couple of large containers - Rubbermaid. I love that the lids all snap together and also snap to the bottoms of the like-size containers. I also love that ALL of the containers and lids fit in the bottom drawer next to the fridge. I threatened bodily harm if DH put any of them in the microwave. Told him that's what glass is for. Then I bought some sturdy takeout containers for sending leftovers home with the kids, so I won't lose my Rubbermaid if they forget to bring them back.

designsaavy thanked donna_loomis
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I purged drastically after the flood it was a necessity. I did not want any that were not a water tight seal whats the point. But most don't have a that. I wanted some that were very easy to lock closed because of the problems with my hands. I wanted some that stacked easily and so did the lids and were color coded so I knew instantly what lid went with which container. I wanted safe to microwave and safe in dishwasher. I wanted freezer safe. I found all of this in the Sterilite ultra seal container. I bought one set of various sizes and one set of the larger bowls. I have been extremely happy with them. The way the lid has 4snap down tabs it is very easy for me to close and open.

Ultra seal bowls

Ultra seal

Various sizes

designsaavy thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll checkout the Glass Lock containers.

I do have snap down containers, and like them. They said they were microwavable, but they got rough inside when I did. I'm thinking it was probably melting!

So, glass containers with lids and some sort of plastic containers, perhaps just for dry goods or at least, never microwave.

I would like to get some divided, microwavable dinner containers with vented lids. I have a couple, but need to get a few more.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know what I ultimately decide. ;-)

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

I noticed in the Costco coupon mailer I got yesterday that Pyrex snapware is on sale this cycle. I'm not sure of the set size or price. It might have been 18 pieces for $24???

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Unfortunately we don't have a Costco membership right now. It expired a few months ago and we didn't renew. Probably will renew again when hubby decides he needs new tires again.

Thanks for thinking of me, though. ;-)

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

We cleared it out like this:

1. Threatened the SO with bodily harm if he bought YET ANOTHER nifty set of storage containers which can't swap lids with any other set in the house, and which never has the right sizes.

2. Rounded up and checked all the containers for lids.

3. Sent all the mismatched stuff to charity, because there are always people looking for matches.

4. Kept a few larger containers, sent the awkward sizes and shaped to charity.

5. Bought lots of TWO sizes of ZIPLOC square freezer containers (short and tall), which have interchangeable lids. (we freeze lots of broth, chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.)

6. When we pack up leftovers, we put them in one or more of the short ones because it's a good serving size (16 oz). If there are 3 servings left, we use three boxes. The hassle of trying to find the "right size" box has vanished. And we no longer have one serving of leftover lasagna taking up the space of 4 in the refrigerator.

7. If a lid or a box breaks, there are plenty of lids and boxes identical to it so non-matching is not a problem.

NOTE: The ziplocs have survived the microwave just fine, and we haven't died of cancer. Their main cause of mortality is when I drop one that is frozen and the corners shatter.

And dropping things is why I don't use glass refrigerator storage.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol, I am a clutz when it comes to things. Another reason I may consider not using glass storage containers is I've been having issues with strength in my arms, so everything seems heavy to me. But, I can't imagine little glass containers being a problem for that..but dropping things may be.

I definitely would at least like to get new square or rectangular casserole dishes with glass and plastic lids. That way I can bake and refrigerate in the same dish. Then perhaps I can just downsize the plastic storage containers I have for now.

• Lisa
    7 years ago

I went through this 2 years ago and read a million reviews on the different containers. I settled on Snapware which is a good quality and looks nice. I like the little pop of color on the lids.

One thing I really like is that I have some plastic and some glass containers that are the same size, and they both use the same lids. I am slowly getting more of the glass containers, but they do not stack as tightly as the plastic and they are more expensive. The plastic does stain (like any plastic containers I've tried) with things like tomatoes, which is why I'm trying to get more of the glass containers now.

It was most economical to buy sets of Snapware. I got some at Amazon and some at Walmart.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't know why I have such a difficult time with mine that snap and have the silicone bands inside.

This morning I was putting leftover muffins in my largest snap container with silicone band seal. The lid just never fit well and as of this morning, two out of four of the snaps "snapped" off. It never seemed to want to snap shut. So, I'm a bit nervous in investing in more.

Does anyone else have that problem?

• homepro01
    7 years ago

I have the Glasslock Designsavvy and I don't have that problem. Where did you purchase your containers from? It sounds like you may have a defective set. I would give Snaplock a call and see if they would replace your units. Glasslock is usually quite good with replacements.

If you are worried about weight, would you consider metals? They can't be placed in the microwave and visibility to the contents without opening it is difficult but they are lightweight and perform well.

Another lightweight glass container is from Lifefactory. They have a silicone sleeve. I don't have these units personally but I have the water bottles which I have dropped on sidewalks and they survived. Funny enough, I have never dropped the Glasslock containers in the kitchen

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I have problems with my hands and also loss of strength in arms and hands. I have a few of the glass ones that I rarely use now because the risk of dropping them is too great, they are much heavier than the plastic. I do like them for heating in the microwave and my husband will handle them for me. Unfortunately the snap on lids have just about all split.

• johnsoro25
    7 years ago

Also love the Snapware Lisa mentioned above. My favorite so far. We still need plastic since I use them to pack my husbands lunch for work. Plus, they just stack better than my glass ones.

• Lisa
    7 years ago

For a lighter glass, this is an option: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/lidded-bowl-with-clear-lid/s380512

I have a set for some of my glass containers. They are really just bowls with lids. They are not as sturdy as thicker glass containers, and you have to be more careful with drastic temperature changes. The lids are a bit flimsy, but they sell replacements. I do like them for storing things like soup in individual servings so I use them a lot.

I have not found perfect storage containers yet. I probably never will, because one material does not have all the properties I want:

• Stacks very nicely (glass containers rarely do)
    • Microwave and DW safe
    • Lids don't trap water in DW (all of mine do)
    • Glass, but not too heavy
    • Looks nice and never stains
  • amanda99999
    7 years ago

I also have the Lock & Lock (square only - 3 sizes - blue edging) and round screw top Rubbermaid. Everything plastic (lightweight - for my arthritis - and dishwasher washable); all from Target.

These 4 sizes fit everything we need, including lunchbox food and leftovers (the large L&L). The L&L all use the same tops. Everything else went to the recycle bin. Telling ya, streamlining the 36"x 12" high drawer of storage containers really made life easier! Half the drawer is still empty, a year later.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Homepro, I've had all of this so long, I don't remember where everything came from.

Except for the old Tupperware I bought at a garage sale and the flimsy Rubbermaid "Take Alongs", there are no sets. Some snap storage I have were all bought separately, but only one is an actual Lock&Lock, and it's extra large. I haven't had any issues with it. The small snap lock containers I believe I bought somewhere like Marshall's. The snaps that broke off the large container yesterday was an off brand "Click and Save" by Domestix.

This is terrible to look at, but this is what happened to one of those small ones when put in the microwave. And it's suppose to be microwave safe!

That is where it's rough like it melted.

That is one reason to consider the glass for microwave and plastic for other uses.

As far as plastic, microwaveable divided plates, I have two off brand ones with the vent on the lid. There are a couple little specks of that rough surface, but I haven't used them as much as the others.

• eam44
    7 years ago

I'm a biologist. As far as scientists can tell BPA-free plastics are perfectly safe to use at home. Plastic packaging has helped to make our food supply safer, and yet the amount of (presumably inert) chemicals in our bodies derived from plastic is constantly rising, and that is of concern to me (and the CDC that performs biomonitoring on this and many other things).

I use glass for food storage at home. I line plastic with parchment paper when I send care packages to my nephew at college. This is a choice I make that I believe will help to slow the increase in my ingestion of plastic-derived chemicals (that, again, may be completely inert). I have no way of evaluating the extent to which it will do so. I use both the Rubbermade and Pyrex glass storage sets and have been happy with them. The (plastic) Pyrex lids can be replaced, which is great to know if you lose or break one.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Design savvy,

That does not look like something I will continue to use except to hold nails or something that I would not ingest. The lids on your containers look different than the lids on the glass locks. If you notice, you lid has a tab on the flaps, the glass locks flaps are longer and attached differently. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. Did you check out the metal one I suggested? Also, the life factory ones may be another option. They are lighter than the glass locks.

Ravencajun,

I don't have issues with my hands but can you explain what type of covers would work well for you based on this?

I wonder if people would also consider thinks like glass canning jars for storage? I use these to store things like salad dressing, jams and other condiments made for meals. Weck makes a variety of sizes for example.

• johnsoro25
    7 years ago

I don't think plastic of any kind should be used in the microwave. The photo above just confirms that for me!

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

DH and I take leftovers to work for lunch almost every day (and we eat a lot of leftovers at home - he cooks for an army, even after our sons went off to college!)

We still use plastic, but as we replace old and worn out pieces, we're switching over to glass. The Rubbermaid set that eam44 posted above looks like it would stack better than the Pyrex.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Great discussion. I may post a pic later but it looks pretty close to how others have posted. Here's the kicker though, many many times I put the leftovers in zip baggies so it would appear I STILL have more containers than I need, ha.

i remember many years ago before the bpa free movement, I had organized all my containers. Problem is they all were made with the undesirable chemicals so I tossed all and started all over again. This has been a 3 times process

• friedajune
    7 years ago

I have a few of those Rubbermaid glass ones that Eam44 pictured. One thing I want to point out that I don't like--and I will likely replace the Rubbermaid because of it--is that the bases are much narrower than the tops. Makes it more difficult to scoop or scrape things out, and also is misleading to the eye as to how much it holds. The Pyrex don't have that issue, though I find the Pyrex lids aren't as tight as I'd like. As mentioned already, it is difficult to find a brand with everything you want.

I am going to try Glasslock - I have to figure out which sizes I'd want.

Glasslock USA on Amazon

I also want to try the Sterilite Ultra Seal that Ravencajun mentioned, for food I don't plan to microwave. Never heard of Sterilite before, which is why I like this forum so much.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

For those that have Glasslock, do you have the microwave safe and/or oven safe ones?

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I got rid of anything without a mate. (in a couple cases I found the lid later, but no regrets!) Recycle bin. Anything that got discolored over the years (which was most of my old Tupperware). Anything that got remotely "sticky". I didn't bother donating any of this stuff. If I don't think it's safe, I don't think I should pass it on to others. I am glad to see there is now BPA-free plastics, but there's still some question on safety, especially if heated or used to store acidic foods.

Anything I plan to use to re-heat in - glass. My supermarket carries Pyrex for cheap. These were great for taking stuff to work in, for nuking - yes, the glass gets hot, but I always kept the tray nearby for unloading the MW. Lids could fit tighter, however - not good for soups! Glasslock is good, too. I think mine are at least MW safe -- they're packed for moving so I can't go check. I never had the urge to put them in the oven. They are better for soups.

For pantry storage of rice and such, I've been getting the Oxo things, as their lids are reasonably air tight. And they're pretty stackable. Discovered that they cost a LOT less at Home Goods than at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Almost forgot - I also have the Anchor set. I love, love, love the lids because they last and they are so easy to get on and off.

Freida, I've never had a problem getting anything out of those Rubbermade containers. I love that they stack. The Pyrex ones end up kangarooed smaller inside the larger bowls.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Here is one of FOUR drawers w/containers. Note to self: need to edit!

I do use them but if you draw correlation between how many I have vs how many times used, I have a s@@@load! Ha

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eam44, those Anchor glass containers look like they'd be easy to use. I'll check and see if they have casserole dish size.

Bossyvossy, you're too funny. Exactly the reason I need to downsize.

I have too many different casserole dishes that are different shapes. I want square or rectangle with both a glass and plastic or rubber lid.

As far as my 36" drawer full of plastic, it's WAY too much. I just don't use all that at once. So, it would be nice to either put new stuff in there with other types of items that need storage (perhaps the casserole dishes) or only have enough that will fit in my 24" drawer.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I also was thinking that perhaps I can find plastic lids to fit my two oval Corning Ware casserole dishes.

One says 1.8 liters which is equal to 1.902 liquid quarts.

The other is 2.8 liters which is equal to 2.959 liquid quarts.

Here's the kicker: my oval glass lids say Pyrex.

What the heck?

• khinmn59
    7 years ago

As I posted previously, I have had the GlassLock containers for several years now and love them. The snapping lid is very easy to use and doesn't require much hand strength. The glass is substantial but not heavy. I've never had an issue with chipping or breakage and I use these on a daily basis for probably about 10 years now. I put the lids in the dishwasher, all in one piece, and have never had an issue with the silicone seal not drying, cracking or molding. Well, I should clarify, only had an issue with molding when I forgot something in the back of the refrigerator...but just took the seal out of the lid and cleaned it with bleach. Good as new. Yes, the containers are microwavable...the lids are as well, but I tend not to put plastic containers in the microwave. I have on occasion and they worked just fine.

BTW, i have had plastic covers for some of my Corning Ware casserole dishes. They didn't hold up very long and cracked within a relatively short period of time.

I was given some pyrex glass containers with plastic lids for Christmas a couple of years ago and they work nicely as well.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks. I was just looking for a way to use what I have for now. And when I saw that the Corning Ware had Pyrex lids, I was wondering if Corning Ware or Pyrex plastic lids would fit.

I've lived with all of my casserole dishes with just glass lids till now, might as well keep them till I can afford to replace.

The hard part is finding good casserole dishes that have both glass and plastic lids.