SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmpsd

Need help with small laundry room layout

dmpsd
7 years ago

I am going to have some countertop left over from my kitchen remodel so thought it might be nice to spruce up the laundry room. Our laundry room is pretty small and it also functions as our mudroom. The room is 129" long and 73" wide. There are large doors on both ends of the room -- an interior door and a door to the outside. There are hooks on the wall for my purse, the kids' backpacks and sweatshirts.

This is a heavy traffic area -- we walk through the laundry room to take the dogs outside and to get to the trashcans multiple times a day. I rarely fold laundry in the laundry room. It is frequently used as a dumping ground for all our stuff.

Two things I am considering --

1) Leaving the layout as is but trying to run the countertop over the washer and dryer. This is a little tricky because we have a large washer so it is taller than standard cabinet height.

2) Stacking the washer and dryer so we have either a longer countertop or stacking the washer and dryer and then adding a pantry-type cabinet where the dryer currently is and keeping the countertop about like it is now. Stacking the washer and dryer will also be a little tricky. Because the washer is big -- 39 inches tall, the top of the dryer will be 78 inches off the floor and the controls will be 75-76 inches. I am short but don't have concerns about reaching them. I just wonder if the stacked configuration will be a turn off to future buyers. (In a previous house we stacked average-sized washer and dryer so the top was 72" off the ground and I didn't have any problems at all with the controls.

We will definitely keep the laundry room sink -- I use it all the time.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

View from interior door

View from exterior door.
Current sink and countertop space.

Comments (4)