SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sincitylocal

Overwatered Nectarine (Zone 9a)

sincitylocal
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Last February, I planted my first nectarine tree. I live in Las Vegas, so automatic irrigation is a must. The ground in my yard is mostly clay and caliche. I dug a 3' X 3' hole and mixed some compost with native soil, and put the tree in the ground. Every Spring, the wind blows pretty good, and most of the flowers were blown away when the tree came out of dormancy. I was surprised when we actually saw three pieces of fruit beginning to grow. Leaves were plentiful and healthy all summer long, so I figured all was well.

With all the rain we got this winter, I shut the water off. Now the weather is warming again, so the water was turned back on. I've been waiting to see signs of life, but nothing is happening. I checked for buds, but they were all dried and shriveled, as well as all of last year's new growth. I decided to dig a hole beside the tree and investigate. The ground proved to be way too wet still, and the root system looks very bad, with only the larger roots left intact.

I dug up the tree and put it in a 5 gal nursery bucket, with a sandy compost mix. I'm hoping to save it, as only last year's growth has died. The rest of the tree seems to still be viable, but I'm no expert. What are my chances of success with this tree, and what more can I do to the ground to make better conditions for fruit trees?

Comments (2)