SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Spring has Sprung

Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

With the generous rains this year in Southern California, my roses have slept longer than usual (blooming starting in January is common) and are waking up at different rates. Some are just leafing out, while others already have flowers. Here is a selection.

R. pomifera from High Country Roses. Still in a pot waiting for a good garden slot. Last year it had hips that were moderately large but not the whoppers I thought it might have. Perhaps that is because it is still young and in a 2 or 3 gallon pot.

Gizi's Rose, an open pollinated seedling of R. primula (from Pickering). On November 16, 2014 I planted 6 seeds from a hip I collected from R. primula and had stored in the refrigerator for months. Of those 6 seeds, 5 germinated. Last year 2 of the seedlings flowered, Gizi's Rose and Zephyr's Rose, both with single white flowers--both named after my dogs.;) I thought maybe the flowers would be yellow this year, but nope, they're white. Zephyr's Rose is still in a pot and right next to Gizi's Rose. He is budding up and it looks like those flowers will be white again this year. Seedlings 3 and 4 flowered for the first time this year, both of them have yellow flowers, like mom. Only one seedling has yet to flower. It is in a partially shaded location but doesn't even have any buds on it yet although it has lots of leaves. All of the seedlings look in leaf, cane, and habit just like R. primula but another nearby rose could be the dad. All have fragrant foliage to one degree or another.

Gizi's Rose and a visitor.

Foliage and canes on Gizi's Rose.

Bud on Zephyr's Rose, a seedling of R. primula.

Seedling #3 of R. primula. One of my dogs doesn't have her own rose yet.....

Peachtree and guest.

R. minutifolia 'Pure Bea' a selection from Baja California plant material by Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, in Claremont, CA. Named after a librarian that worked at RSABG and presumably with white hair! R. minutifolia is considered rare and endangered in California (and I have read it is now extirpated in the wild in CA although doing okay in Mexico).

R. minutifolia (pink form) from RSABG which was selling in their native plant nursery plants grown by Suncrest Nurseries, which got their plant material from Tree of Life Nursery which collected their stock from the last wild population in existence in California, in San Diego. Shown climbing in Cupresses macrocarpa 'Citriodora' (Monterey Cypress) with 'Pure Bea' in the foreground.

R. minutifolia grown by Suncrest Nurseries.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012