SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Groundhog Day fans?

MtnRdRedux
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Groundhog Day is one of my family's all-time favorite movies. We have been watching it since the kids were pretty little; it is that rare movie that adults can enjoy and kids enjoy on a different level, and it has nothing to make a parent cringe.

My son in particular is a fan. So when I heard it was coming to B-way from London, I got tickets for the family as an xmas present for him. I bought them for tonight, the first night of previews, because my DD1 is home and all three kids are on spring break.

So we saw it tonight. Sort of. 20 minutes into it, there was a technical difficulty with the (apparently very high tech) set. Then they closed the curtain to work on it. They gave everyone free drinks. Finally they came out and said they were going to do a "chair read" of the rest of Act 1, and then perform a few top "hits" from Act II, and invite us all back to see it again, gratis.

I thought it was great. It hews quite closely to the film if you are a buff, and the musical numbers include quite a few very good ones. Andy Carl plays the lead, as he did in the London production. It was so interesting to see a "pure" version of acting. They must have had two dozen mismatched chairs on the stage and the whole cast sat, until it was their scene and then they were center stage.

Anyway, whacky night, but I look forward to, ironically, a repeat performance of Groundhog Day. ; )

eta : something I forgot to mention that was really strange. We purchased our tickets in November. Then on February 2, Groundhog Day, we got an email. The email said that, for the performance we had purchased, they were giving away all of the tickets for that night by lottery., Since we had already purchased, they were refunding our credit card for the total amount including fees… and letting us keep our seats. Not insubstantial as we had center orchestra tickets for five people. I actually thought it was some sort of strange hoax or scam. But in fact, when I looked on my credit card, we had been refunded. I've never heard of such a thing.

Comments (15)