SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orneryponystudio

More Seedling Grafting

Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Some grafted plants arrived yesterday and the first thing I want to do is attempt to make backup grafts. Then if down the road any of my original grafted plants should die, I won't loose them if any of my new grafts have taken. I will also practice doing some meristem tissue culture but I still need to order the proper media.

Here is one of my obseum seedlings that you can see is hardened off after a winter. Though small, it's about 6 months old or a bit more. I'm in no hurry so I don't mind at all that they went pretty dormant over winter.

I have sterilized a scion and seedling with alcohol spray, then sliced a couple of eye buds off in a piece less than half an inch. While pressing the graft down I have super glued around it lightly. Blow on it and it dries almost instantly.

I haven't really gotten super glue on myself doing this yet but if it happens it's not a big deal and peels off later, or you can use fingernail polish remover when done. It is ideal not to jostle the union right when you apply the glue but the natural sap extruding also helps keep the super glue from seeping into the cut.

After it's dry, I applied aloe vera gel which when dried, forms a breathable seal to help keep the graft from dehydrating. From here I can simply bag the entire seedling whole, pot and all or dome it. No baggie on the stem, no rubber bands. This is cacti style.

My humidity is pretty high in my studio but if it it offers a piece of mind, you can go ahead and opt to add grafting tape or in my case, sterile food plastic wrap to help keep the graft stable and to further lock in moisture. I like that thin plastic wrap allows gas exchange, and both seals are clear so I can keep an eye on the progress. The self sticking wrap is a bonus IMO. With a traditional graft sealant made of tar or sulfur you have an opaque barrier which means you can't see if your graft area is having problems or initially budding.

Will this method work with my adeniums? It works great with cacti and other succulents so now I wait and see. These have gone into a domed flat under lights indoors and on a seedling heat mat. If it doesn't work I'll keep tinkering until I have success.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County