SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

For those in Stella's path - stay safe -

tinam61
7 years ago

and warm!! Sounds like a quite a nasty storm. We have been experiencing spring here - until this weekend. We are colder now and even had a few flurries Saturday. Supposed to be only about 40 tomorrow. Starts warming up again this weekend. My tulip tree has already peaked, as have the bradford pears. My reblooming azealeas are blooming (regular ones don't bloom this early) as is my candy tuft. The clematis have started their come-back. And, the tree pollen is killing me! LOL

Do stay safe! I heard CT has a no-travel ban on because of the conditions. Not sure who all here is in the storm's path, but hope you are all prepared.

Comments (42)

• MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

My sister in NJ (just outside of NYC) sent me a video of the snow fall. It looks like cotton balls falling from the sky!

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

We have about 15" already in South Central PA. It started about 7:30 last night with sleet then transitioned to snow. it's still coming down like crazy so who knows how much we'll get in total.

For now, I appreciate how pretty it is.. and how quiet it is. I am getting ready to go out and feed the birds (wish I'd thought of that last night!) and will make a pot of soup later this morning.

• Related Discussions

Thinking of Those in Path of the Hurricane

Q

Comments (11)
    I was happy to wake up this morning and see how many of my east coast friends had posted with they were safe, out of power, or had trees down, a leak here and there but otherwise safe. I worry about the ones that have not posted yet, my friend who was taking news photos in Atlantic City. I am thinking of all that lost homes to the fire and those that lost them in the flooding.
    ...See More

Forever Stella and more.

Q

Comments (10)
    ahah, you will have daylilies blooming every where soon, sure wish they hurry up :) your tomatoes are looking real good. I ate my first garden tomatoe today and a third of the first cucumber I picked. that cucumber was 16 inches long. first time I ever seen one that long, but its good.a;most pulled my bell pepper off the bush to eat too, but, decided to leave it for another day/I can make me a meal out of tomatoes and cukes. jean
    ...See More

Everyone in Hanna's path safe?

Q

Comments (15)
    I remember Isabel a few years ago - I had just moved into my house and boy did she pack a punch. With all the talk about Hanna, I prepared so as not to have missiles flying around by yard, or the wind ripping up my shed like before. In the end, just had a lot of rain and some periodic heavy winds. The worst was the humidity. It can get pretty humid in MD, but Hanna brought some pretty soupy air. It is wonderul here now. Prayers in order I guess for those in Ike's path - whew, what a season already!! Thanks for your thoughts.
    ...See More

OT......STELLA !!

Q

Comments (52)
    And I say cray-ons not cray-uns, similar to the way I would say carry-on in reference to luggage. I have a bit of a Pittsburgh accent but it is not strong, more of a nasal intonation than the way I sound the words. I don't like it, but fortunately I do not hear it myself! My sister Rouan has much less of it than I do. Our parents were slowly losing their childhood New England accents as we were growing up which partially neutralized what we heard away from home. The two influences came close to canceling each other out. I call my parents' sisters ahnt, not ont or ant, and certainly not aint, all of which I have heard in various parts of the United States. I pronounce the word 'our' exactly like 'hour', and not at all like 'are'. My DH, also from Pennsylvania, pronounces the word 'color' as if it were 'keller', very common in the Pittsburgh area. A friend from Belfast in Northern Ireland once told me that she thought that some of the Pittsburgh pronunciations were similar to those of Belfast. Odd, because I had never heard anyone who spoke as she did. However there were a lot of Scots-Irish settled in Pittsburgh (along with Italians, Germans, and central Europeans). Apparently they left their linguistic mark upon us. Rosefolly
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Westchester County NYC suburb, it's snowing and hailing. Hoping we don't lose power.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

I just got a call from my lawn/snow guy-- we're expecting another 12"+. He wanted to know if he should come clear me out now or wait until it's over. I chose to wait. I am enjoying the quiet.. and it's not like I am going to be able to GET anywhere even if my driveway is cleared.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

My good friend is in NYC with her daughter on a girls' trip right now. Hoping and praying everyone who will be affected by this late winter storm will stay safe!

• kkay_md
    7 years ago

We're on the messy cusp between snow and ice, and have had some snow, and lots of sleet, and temperatures are dropping. I've given up on trying to save my hydrangeas and tree peony. My Japanese magnolia was covered with blossoms that were just starting to unfurl--those have died and are in tatters. I doubt that my crab apple tree will blossom this year; and the cherry blossoms in DC are about 70% destroyed (maybe more after this mess...). The winds are starting to pick up--I just hope that we don't lose our electricity!

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

In Boston it's off to a slow start. I think they've downgraded us to 6-10" (then rain) instead of 6-18". It's still not bad out there. Still glad everything is closed/cancelled for today, though!

Of course we have daffodil shoots emerging from the ground, poor things!

• sas95
    7 years ago

I'm in Westchester county, NY metro area, too. It has been alternating small, sleety stuff and big fluffy flakes. Lots of snow, but not too awful. I'm much more upset about the daffodils we will lose.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    7 years ago

We're right in the middle of it now. The wind hasn't become a factor yet but it's supposed to. My office is closing at noon. Weatherman says that losing power is not likely because this snow is light and fluffy and won't weigh down tree limbs. Visibility will be a problem - already is by the looks of it. I'll be glad when I get home. Be safe all!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    7 years ago

We're getting heavy rain here on outer Cape Cod. It's melting the 10" of snow we got a fews days ago.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

We did not get the 12-18 inches predicted here just northwest of Philadelphia. I'm not sure what is going on out there! Kind of looks like white Rita's Water Ice, for those who are familiar with that. A few inches of slushy, snowy, icy mess. Wind is blowing. I am not sure if there is more on the way or not. I picked my daffodils and brought them in. Wish I had thought to cover the mini-hydrangea. I am just staying put today but hoping to get to the hair salon in the morning. I have a nearly fatal case of gray roots.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I adore snowstorms. I have a room in my house I call the "snow room". I guess it would be called our formal living room. It is octagonal with a windowed cupola and windows or french doors on 5 sides. I love to sit here and watch the snow fall. We have lots of snow, but as of right now the flakes are small and icy... I'd rather the larger, fluffy ones. I am waiting patiently and watching here by the fire.I think we are supposed to get another 6 hours of snow!

I feel very lucky that we have zero to do on our calendar today. The kids are on spring break, we have show tickets but not till Thursday, and a flight but not till Saturday --- to Tahoe for more snow!!!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I got my snow! Now I'm heading out to play in it. :)

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

So far...oh, do some people put away their table umbrellas in the winter? Duh.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

haha Shee.. enjoy!

We have a little over 15" and it's still coming down though it's not as heavy. We will have light snow off and on through the afternoon as the winds pick up.

It's been very quiet.. a few snow mobiles and a very few cars. There was a multi-car accident on the interstate near Harrisburg but for the most part, people are abiding the snow emergency and staying off the roads.

Even the bald eagles are homebodies today-- keeping their nest warm and clear of snow (this is about an hour south of here)!

• tinam61
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL @ Sue! Yep, most of our patio furniture goes to the basement for the winter. The umbrella is not out unless we are using it. (Don't ask how we learned that lesson!)

Send all snow to Shee and Mt! (Shee, I do bet your little man will enjoy!)

• Gooster
    7 years ago

Wow, stay safe and warm everyone! I'm so sorry for your gardens and especially the fruit trees. (And yes, people were in shorts this week here in Northern California.)

• 4kids4us
    7 years ago

Bum deal for us in Central MD/Chesapeake Bay who love a good snow storm. In these type of coastal storms, we are always on the rain/snow line where we live. While the kids were excited that last night they already announced a snow day for today, we mainly got sleet and freezing rain with maybe an inch of snow that has since melted. We just had another hour of snow, but not enough to stick. However the schools just announced a 2hr delay for tomorrow as everything is supposed to freeze tonight. With the back edge of the storm arriving, the winds have picked up and we are expecting 40mph wind gusts. Have already had trees fall down in my county. Envious of those of you who are getting the snow!

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Yay now it's all rain here but the wind is howling. Power out in some areas, we are okay so far.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

This is quite a late storm for you, isn't it? We are sunny with highs near 80º F.

• jojoco
    7 years ago

I'm in Central New York, and so over this winter. No school today, which officially put us over our snow day total. Now the kids have to do an extra day somewhere. Will probably take a staff development day. We've got about a foot on the ground, lots of wind, and the promise of doubling it before the storm slips away.

As I said, I'm done.

• rosesstink
    7 years ago

Central New York too. I left work a little early to avoid the traffic. Glad I did. Visibility was very bad on some parts of the highway.

• localeater
    7 years ago

Coastal Maine- Lots of snow here and lots more still on the way. The wind is wicked. No school today. Depending on when the storm abates we may have late start tomorrow. Hopefully power will not be interrupted.

• eandhl2
    7 years ago

Our iron patio furniture is outside. The snow is at least 2-3 inches over the seats. I figure the seats are 18 inches hig and it is still snowing! Looks like we may hit the projected 24-26 inches.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Yes, Fun, exp since here in the NY metro we had some 60+ degree days.

I told everyone, we are not safe until April. ha ha

Lovin' it.

• texanjana
    7 years ago

Wow! I can't imagine that kind of snow. I am in Tennessee visiting my daughter and am freezing my a$$ off! Back home to Texas tomorrow to warmer weather. Stay safe!

• nhbaskets
    7 years ago

Seacoast New Hampshire reporting in. It started slowly this morning and really picked up around 11. Hard to tell how much snow so far. I have bare spots and snow drifts. NOAA said we'd get about 18". Lost power at 4 pm. I've heard through social media that they are fixing a transformer at the end of our street. We have geothermal heat, so I get nervous that it will ruin the system. Thank goodness for my gas cooktop and happy I didn't go with induction. ;) We've had the fireplace on and off. Without the blower, the mantle gets too hot. Stay safe everyone!

• MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

TexJan, it was a beautiful day in Central Texas! 60s with clear blue skys, no humidity and a warm sun! And bluebonnets!! Hurry before it's over!

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Stay safe, everyone! Some of my colleagues are heading to the physical educators convention in Boston at the Hynes convention center. Some are already there but some are supposed to fly tomorrow.

Buffalo has some snow but certain areas not too bad according to my family.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    7 years ago

TexJan, can you say where in TN you are? I am up near the smokies. We have had some great weather but much colder this week. Back to 60s this weekend or early next week.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

Southern Maine - part of my yard Monday PM 03/13 -

Similar shot at 4 PM today, 03/14. We've had 50+ MPH wind gusts that have kept it from piling up on the picnic table. That dark spot under the birch clump in the center is a stoneware birdbath base that is now almost completely covered at 9 PM.

Wed AM 03/15 - 16" with heavy drifting and some places looking almost bare.

by back garage door

Front steps

16"

• jojoco
    7 years ago

School has been canceled for tomorrow too. And it's still snowing. We've probably gotten over 2 feet, but the drifts are what's killling us.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Wow! The pictures are amazing. I wouldn't know what to do with that much snow.

• mitchdesj87
    7 years ago

I have been in Florida since Feb 27 and was scheduled to fly home today to Toronto but my flight was delayed from 4 pm to 8 pm tonight so I made the executive decision to fly back only tomorrow, DH is already in Toronto since monday night and says it's horrible, super high winds and snow and cold, so I just bought myself another day in the sun, and I might get to doing the garage cleanup here, as well as play another round of golf at the end of the day.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Our
    actual snowfall fell short of the predicted 12 - 18 inches but that's
    typical for this area. The local weather stations in Philly often make
    weather predictions based on whether you are north or south of the I-95
    corridor which runs in a diagonal line through the city paralleling the
    coastline. We're just south of I 95 and many of our snowstorms result
    in the infamous 'wintry mix' - well yesterday was snow, hail, sleet,
    rain and temperatures below freezing all day.

My poor arborvitae are bending low to the ground along with my
    Japanese Acuba, and skip laurel, the magnolias have lost many branches,
    my just opening camellias blossoms are frozen, the Skip laurel and
    photinia look like an elephant sat on them.

Everything is coated in ice. My street was closed for part of
    yesterday because several large white pines toppled. Our lights
    blinked several times but we never lost power. My regular mailman made
    it and warned me to stay home. Hiring my landscaper to plow the
    driveway and shovel the sidewalks this year was a great decision.

It's only 20 this morning it's only going to 29. The roads are a
    mess and many schools remain closed or are having a delayed opening. I
    know we'll have a lot of pruning to do.

Our place in the PA mountains had 2' of snow by noon and they were
    expecting another 18" - our landscaper called to tell us that he had
    removed the first 2' and that he'd go back later for the rest.

Maire

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

Oh Maire, so sorry to hear about your garden. The heavy ice is too much for the spring blooms-- and those white pines too, I guess. We tend to lose trees in the big storms too but I haven't heard about too many downed trees yet. The high winds came in last night and we're supposed to see more of the same today. So far, it sounds quiet.

I don't plan to go out today-- the roads are mostly clear but there are lots of reports of black ice. I am content to stay by the fire with my coffee. :) I only wish I had Mtn's beautiful snow room.. or that I was in a mountain retreat.

Oh, and I am surprised you had mail delivered yesterday! Our mail delivery was suspended.. also garbage collections yesterday and today.

• 4kids4us
    7 years ago

It was so strange yesterday seeing fully bloomed daffodils sticking out of the little bit of snow we had. My kids have a two hour delay due to black ice from the wet roads that froze over last night. It's freezing at the moment, about 22 degrees but wind chills in the teens. My poor high schooler has a lacrosse game tonight and the temperatures will be about the same, but the sun will have gone done so it will be especially bitter. Thankfully I'm on the board of our athletic association so I'm scheduling myself to be in our concessions stand. It has heat which helps, but with the windows open and the wind blowing, it is still cold in there. The poor players are out there with shorts on!!!

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Funky - the ironic thing about getting our mail yesterday is that in spite of the effort our mailman made to deliver it (he had 2 detours) it was still wrong - he forgot the registered letter that had been at the PO since Friday and gave me my neighbor's Sports Illustrated and Cabela's catalog. But is the nicest fellow and since he knows we go away often he gave me his personal cell # in case I need to change delivery.

4 kids - When there's snow on the ground does your son's team 'roll' the sidelines? It surprised me the first time I watched my son out there - I thought they were making snowmen. But they were rolling the snow up along the sidelines so that the ref could make his calls.

I'm not sure which is worse as far as the cold goes - one son played lacrosse and the other played ice hockey. Those night lacrosse games could be bitterly cold but sitting on a metal bleacher at an ice hockey rink isn't much fun either. I brought along a Totes seat mat that could be heated in the microwave at home. It helped - but some of those games were over 2 hours away and the warmth usually dissipated by halftime.

We had errands to run this morning and it was so sad to drive through town and see so many trees laying by the side of the road or missing huge branches. My town prides itself on being a designated 'Tree City' and I'm sure the Tree Committee is out today assessing the damage.

Maire

• jojoco
    7 years ago

The snow stopped overnight and the sun finally came out. Lots of happy upstaters today. We got about 30", give or take. There's a good reason why everyone around here waits until after Mother's Day to plant.

• 4kids4us
    7 years ago

Maire-Cate, usually if there is that much snow on the ground, school is canceled and then there are no games. I do recall one year hearing that someone had kids on the turf shoveling it so they could have practice, but I've never seen that done since. We just don't seem to get much snow anymore. It's usually a freezing mix. They ended up canceling yesterday's games - the field apparently was ice-covered snow. Unfortunately, this was an out of conference game they were playing against a team that had come all the way from TN so too bad it was canceled. I did see that that same team had a game against another school in our area today, so at least they will get one game in. None of mine play hockey, but as a college student, I went to many games b/c several of my friends were on the hockey team. It was definitely cold in the rinks!

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Oh that is a shame for the TN team. I have to agree though that we have been getting more of the wintry mix - my lax player graduated from h.s. in 1999 ( can't believe it's been that long) and the weather pattern has definitely changed.

Maire

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES