SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
femc

Decision time keep or ditch Wisteria aka Japanese Beetle feed

femc
7 years ago

We bought a house in Montreal, QC, Canada suburbs (zone 5) almost 2 years ago. It has a Wisteria of unknown cultivar (but that has a single trunk) that has never flowered. I suspect from my research and judging from the picture above that is due to it never having been pruned. But the reason for the massive shagginess is that it serves as a privacy screen for an above-ground pool. All that would be fine by me BUT last summer it was black with Japanese Beetles and my pool deck covered in JB poo dandruff (yay!).

So having spent this cold winter planning my defense on the JB's. I am planning on taking a systematic approach including:

a) dealing with the grubs with available means & having my husband make me a Spikes of Death contraption for lawn.

b) Being on the lookout for scouts and continuing my early morning bucket kills. I tried Neem oil, no effect. I read conflicting advice about them being repelled/attracted to their decaying buddies. I'm not above making a slurry & spraying that allover my yard...

c) Not planting any of their faves and removing existing delicacies (goodbye roses & co)

d) asking my neighbors if they have them and if they have traps (please no!) and it leaves me with these questions

1) Should I get rid of the Wisteria altogether? Morning glories and such are out (yum!) and my zone is too cold for climbing hydrangeas. Clematis? What am I not thinking of?

2) Not Vine related per say but if I do chop that Wisteria I'm afraid they'll eat everything/anything else. We have a small, sad orchard but they haven't attacked anything because I think they have plenty with my Wisteria/Malva (buh-bye)/Roses (so long) & Physocarpus (so sad). Will removing their food source keep them away eventually or will they just eat everything else? They haven't really bothered my veg either.

I feel like I sound like a madwoman but honestly, they drive me batty. Do bats eat them?! ;-)

Comments (10)