SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Cycle of leaving and returning...or the persistence of memory

User
7 years ago

Back in the day, pre-wood and even pre-allotment, I started gardening in the same tiny plot I still have...and in 36 square metres, the obvious solution for a nascent collector (the affliction was evident even then)...was tiny plants...and lots of them. And in primary position were the saxifrages. Years (and acreage) on, I no longer grow more than a handful of tiny mossy saxifrages...but I am still swayed by a lush rosette of crinkly foliage and perfect blossom shaped tiny flowers...so geums, heuchera and new to me this year, boykinia and francoa quickly arrived to fill the vacant places in my horticultural heart. The germination of francoa appendiculata today got me reflecting on our plant desires...which are not necessarily shaped by any rationale (appropriate plantings for climate, soil etc.)...but attach themselves as love objects and persist across years. Yep, I have been on the monocot rampage, swayed by grasses, tormented by inappropriate shrubs and even managed a few years of enthusiastic veggie growing...but again and again, I find myself drawn to basic planty characteristics...and I don't believe for one second that I am alone. So putting aside all hardwon knowledge about right plants for the right place...what are the mythical plants which make your heart beat a little faster (and I don't mind if other sensory criteria such as fragrance comes to the fore)...what are the ur-plants of your imaginary garden...and have you stayed loyal to the idea of this Platonic perfection?

It's raining. I am stuck indoors...and knitting has temporarily failed to stop mindless mental churning resulting from boredom.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!