SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcserver3

Should I tell my friend her "Interior Decorator" is ripping her off?

Tara
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

A very good friend of ours recently hired someone to design and build some cabinets in their home office. She showed me the plans and told me how much it cost only after she signed the contract.

It turns out that the layout is terrible (if she posted it here, it would get ripped to shreds). And she's paying double what we payed and we got more cabinets and better finishes.

I am not exaggerating when I say the design is terrible. The one built in book case doesn't go up to the ceiling (which seems to beat the point of a built in), there are empty niches on either side of it where she is supposed to add more shelves later and keep costs down now (!) and there is a built in desk that doesn't make sense either, a regular desk would have worked better in that spot.

But she seems so happy with the plan that I didn't have the heart to say anything negative. I did ask if she got other quotes and she said no, because this person was highly recommended on the internet! I do feel bad for not saying anything else though. I know she has other projects that she could put this money towards. If I had known before she signed the contract, I would have definitely said something. But now...I think I shouldn't. I hope I'm making the right decision.

What would you do?

Comments (46)