SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coralee7

Music

coralee7
7 years ago

Do you have a favorite music artist or prefer a certain type of music? Mine varies depending on my mood but I don't care for jazz or rap.

Comments (36)

• glenda_al
    7 years ago

Sunday is my music day. I turn it on and leave on most of the day. Enjoy jazz, some country, classical, just according to what I am in the mood to listen to.

coralee7 thanked glenda_al
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

I do like instrumental theme music such as that of "The Thorn Birds", Laura's Theme from Dr. Zhivago, or "Dancing Matilda".

coralee7 thanked jemdandy
  • Amazing Aunt Audrey
    7 years ago

Jazz, Blues, and Motown sound

coralee7 thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • seniorgal
    7 years ago

I like the public broadcasting station. Also "Alexa." Yesterday I asked her to "Play Perry Como." It was a series of uplifting songs which I really needed at that time. I often have her play Bach. On the other end of the spectrum I have her play Burl Ives. Once in a while I have her tell me a joke.

I have tons of music CD's, mostly classical and lots of Big Band music which was "my music" when I was young (many moons ago.)

coralee7 thanked seniorgal
  • anoriginal
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like almost any type music... except rap and that guess it's heavy metal that's nothing but yelling, which I can't even consider as real music... IMNSHO! Dad was big into Broadway Musicals and we were lucky enough to see several in a "tent" setting, theater in the round. Radio/stereo in house was HIS. If we played "our" music while he was at work, we knew to change station back to his... always Sinatra Sunday on some station. I really don't know any "new" music. I'm happily stuck in the 60-70s with not desire to get unstuck.

coralee7 thanked anoriginal
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I like various types of music. Love good country, especially Toby Keith since he is a close family friend it's been awesome to watch his career flourish. I love good blues and soul, certain types of jazz. I am not into rap. Some hip hop if it has a good rhythm and the good old rock and roll.

coralee7 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • susanwv
    7 years ago

Mostly Country, the old stuff.

coralee7 thanked susanwv
  • sleeperblues
    7 years ago

I was raised on classical music. Both my Mom and Dad always had it on. I recognize a lot from having heard it over and over, but couldn't tell you Bach from Beethoven. I listen to alternative rock music, and I love my sirius radio. My twenty-something kids and I listen to the same music. I do go to the Lyric Opera in Chicago 4 times a season, though. My Mom takes my 2 sisters and I and we have a reserved box. We are going on Thursday to see "Carmen". My Mom says that's one of her favorites.

coralee7 thanked sleeperblues
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

Music has been my most consistent hobby during my lifetime.

Styles I like include rock and roll/acid rock/psychedelic rock late 50s to late 80s (including 60s-70s music of LA and SF), folk revival and folk rock 50s to 80s, Surf Guitar (like the Ventures and Dick Dale) of 60s-70s, Cajun/Zydeco (like Beausoleil and many others), Hawaiian, and reggae of the Marley era. Some of the alltime classic Broadway musicals and some classical/symphonic music I can enjoy from time to time. Styles I have never liked and can't warm up to at all include Motown, Country and Western, and modern R&B (the old stuff I like, it was the root of rock and roll), and rap.

I have a large music collection that is frequently on where I am, whether in my house or using high capacity thumb drives/SD cards in our cars. Usually loud.

coralee7 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

I generally do not listen to music except in the car where I have a playlist loaded on a small iPod attached to my audio system. The playlist is mostly light rock, alternative and a few show tunes. I dislike country, improvisational jazz, gangster rap, acid rock, bluegrass, most pop and opera.

coralee7 thanked Fun2BHere
  • coralee7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sometimes I have music up loud if it's something I really like. I don't like the loud music in some stores that you have to yell over. It makes me feel anxious and I want to leave.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Old country

Outlaw Country

Some new country but not as well as the old

Rock /Pop 50s thru 70s.

Folk rock

Reggae and jazz

Not a fan of rap or heavy metal.

coralee7 thanked wildchild2x2
  • User
    7 years ago

Christmas

Classical

70's

80's

Light Jazz

coralee7 thanked User
  • lgmd_gaz
    7 years ago

The selection of music here is mostly Bluegrass, with a fair amount of old country and classical thrown in, totaling over 250 cds at present.

coralee7 thanked lgmd_gaz
  • wanda_va
    7 years ago

100% Country. I was country when country wasn't cool. My father was a country/western entertainer back in the 40s, so I grew up on country music.

Raven, your friend is one of my favorites--not just for his singing (which I love), but for all the good things he has done, especially for our military. Toby has a special place in my heart!

coralee7 thanked wanda_va
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

Eclectic: Jazz, Symphonic, 30s & 40s Big Band, Four Part Harmony and Spike Jones.

coralee7 thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • nickel_kg
    7 years ago

I like a wide variety of music. For me, there must be a melody I can follow (so that leaves out ultra-weird jazz or modern composers), vocals if present should be something I can hum or sing along with (so that leaves out both opera and rap -- I'm not that good and no where nearly that fast), and I dislike pop songs that are overproduced (for example, contrast Britney's 'Oops I Did It Again' with Richard Thompson's -- lol!) I mostly dislike vocals that are either screechy (heavy metal) or warbly (sorry, Whitney.)

That leaves a wonderful, compelling mix of sound on the table. Plenty of classic, americana, folk, rock of all eras, world, jazz, blues, ska, punk, big band, western ballads, and yes, country -- just not the type played on the radio. If I had to sum up what I like, I'd say "roots".

coralee7 thanked nickel_kg
  • cacocobird
    7 years ago

My first love was the original version of Oklahoma. Listened to as many musicals as I could.

Later, I listened to folk, the Beatles, jazz, some classical.

Now I have Google Play, and they have set up channels for all kinds of taste. My favorite is folk rock.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is still my favorite song.

coralee7 thanked cacocobird
  • nickel_kg
    7 years ago

Cacocobird, I spent 1st thru 4th grades in Oklahoma, back when music was still a weekly activity in elementary classes. I can't ever spell Oklahoma without "singing" O-k-l-a-h-o-m-a! in my head!

coralee7 thanked nickel_kg
  • janey_alabama
    7 years ago

Love classic rock. For current music I love Joe Bonamassa, The Dave Matthews Band, & Tedechi Trucks Band. And along with Scott I really enjoy Christmas music.

coralee7 thanked janey_alabama
  • bengardening
    7 years ago

Mine would have to be the older country. Not real old, I don't even know who half of the new singers are or what they sing. Christmas and 50's and 60's rock and roll. Also polka and waltz music.

coralee7 thanked bengardening
  • randy427
    7 years ago

The folk and gospel of The Seekers. Also anything by Linda Ronstadt.

coralee7 thanked randy427
  • katlan
    7 years ago

70's for sure! Rock and roll, symphony, select modern country and Christmas music. I despise rap. Don't like R&B or opera or jazz.

coralee7 thanked katlan
  • pudgeder
    7 years ago

I like almost all kinds of music, (American anyway) EXCEPT for Opera, Heavy Metal (screaming) Rock & rap music.

coralee7 thanked pudgeder
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

Classic country and classic rock and blues.

coralee7 thanked marilyn_c
  • comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    7 years ago

I go through phases. Anything from Indian folk music like the Bauls of Bengal to Jacqueline du Pre cello concertos, meditative and laid back modern jazz to the English Church music of Purcell and Taverner; the 60s British pop groups I grew up with which are still a 'guilty pleasure' to reminisce with on YouTube, to less successful attempts to appreciate hip-hop and then heavy metal while my son was growing up; great songwriters like Dylan and Leonard Cohen to Irving Berlin and Cole Porter to Chuck Berry and Hank Williams... but...

I have an album somewhere of old style Delta Blues. Mostly just one man or one woman singing and playing a cheap old gut string guitar in a rocking chair out on a back porch somewhere (or so I imagine!) recording their masterpieces directly into an old style reel to reel tape recorder. Sophisticated production nil; inventiveness and spontaneity, honesty and heart 1000%. These wonderful old musicians can always makes me smile, or cry with them. It's my favourite album.

Oh, and the Beatles of course... Unclassifiable; still amazing, intriguing, inspiring and delighting me after all these years.

I also very much appreciate silence, only broken by the sound of waves, wind in the trees, rain and birdsong... the best music of all.

coralee7 thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I would love to hear the sound of true silence again but I don't think that will happen till I am dead and then it won't matter lol. I don't wish tinnitus on anyone.

coralee7 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    7 years ago

Oh raven, I'm sorry to hear that to always hear ringing in your ears. You're right, no silence for you.

coralee7 thanked User
  • comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    7 years ago

NB My 'like' for your comment, Raven, is of course meant to express sympathy; I don't 'like' you having tinnitus... :-(

Actually, true, utter, dead silence can be a bit overwhelming. I remember once walking out to a remote Aboriginal rock art site somewhere in or near the Grampian Mountains. I've forgotten whether we found the art or not, but I do remember suddenly realising there was absolutely no sound except for what I assume was the roaring of blood rushing through my head, and feeling suddenly very insignificant and fragile in the face of vast, implacable Nature.

The only other time I've known it anywhere near that silent, was out in the garden just before a solar eclipse, when even the birds suddenly went very quiet and still, and I swear not even an insect was rustling its little wings... everything in Nature seemed to be holding its breath, waiting...

coralee7 thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    7 years ago

I enjoy a range of music - favorites include musicals, classical, rock, opera, barbershop and Gregorian chants!

coralee7 thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • norsetex
    7 years ago

I like a variety of things. I go through country phases , mostly like the old ones. Blues, folk, classic rock , stick a little classical i n there sometimes. My cds include Eric Clapton , the Stones, Keb Mo, Lynryd Skynrd , Beach Boys , Charlie Musselwhite, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Janiva Magness , a little Mendolssohn and old swing tunes.

I listen to KNON a Dallas community radio station which offers most any kind of music at some period during the week, KERA, public radio and online streams.

coralee7 thanked norsetex
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I like to think I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to music - anything from classic rock to classical (which I played endlessly when I was taking piano lessons). I love some country music, country cross-over, soul, bluegrass, jazz, blues. Just about anything except most rap, head-banging stuff, heavy metal.

coralee7 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • marcopolo5
    7 years ago

I must be the only one that still loves disco. Like most every kind of music, but my first choice will always be lively disco music

coralee7 thanked marcopolo5
  • amylou321
    7 years ago

Christmas music. I listen to it off and on all year. Makes me happy.

coralee7 thanked amylou321
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

No, marcopolo, you're not the only one. I still like it and frequently listen to it, I left it off my listing. I have a pretty good sampling of it in my own music collection. When I don't have access to play my collection, I have a custom Pandora station that plays just disco. I don't like all of it but I do like much of it.

Saturday Night Fever remains an all-time favorite album for me.