SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaidous

Low/line voltage? Transformer/no transformer? Help!

shaidous
7 years ago

We are in the process of having the electrical routed in our kitchen remodel. The electrician (also our uncle) is asking us what we would like for our cabinet lighting, as we hadn't purchased that yet. Per guidance from these forums, I was all ready to order Inspired LED strips from Amazon. I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to all things electrical, but after educating myself, I realize I will only need transformers if we decide on low voltage. Our kitchen is down to the studs, so ease of installation is not a deciding factor. I've searched the forum, but haven't found a good answer on why to go low voltage vs. line voltage. Because of our kitchen layout, going low voltage would mean 3 separate transformers, adding unnecessary additional cost (we don't have many uppers). Since we're already over budget (shocking, I know) cost is a factor. Uncle Tom, unfortunately, doesn't do much residential these days and I feel like he didn't have much advice to offer, just keeps saying, "you buy what you want, and I'll install it for you." My husband and I think finding some good line voltage LED strips would be our best option. So after the line voltage question, my next is, what recommendations do you have for reliable line voltage LED strips? Looking for your wisdom! TIA!

Comments (5)