SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdfurlong

What color paint should I use in my kitchen?

tdfurlong
7 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen. Our kitchen flows right off the family room (step down family room). We are going with mid-tone wood cabinets, the flooring is an engineered hardwood in a rich cherry kind of color, with black granite counter tops (Black Pearl). The paint on the family room wall is Smokestack by Behr (kind of a taupy gray). I have no idea what color to use in the kitchen! I typically don't like just white. I was contemplating going 1 color down on the chip from Smokestack, but I don't know if the difference is enough. Two steps down gives me what seem to almost be white.

Any general tips for how to decide paint colors when you want to change it from room to room (but the two rooms flow together)? There is a natural divider in the room, so we can switch colors (the ceiling will be the same all the way across both rooms - Polar White by Behr). I've added pictures below of the family room (paint only in better lighting, the whole family room photo bombed by the dog and then our cabinet color - which manages to look like 2 different colors in my collage).

Comments (5)