SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesstink

A Day Without a Woman

rosesstink
7 years ago

Is anyone participating in this on Wednesday? Things are touchy and edgy at work right now (layoffs today - the first in my 25 years there) so I don't know that can participate. I will be wearing red though. And, perhaps, my Women's March t-shirt.

A Day without a Woman

Comments (51)

• rosesstink
    Original Author
    7 years ago

3katz4me - Why do you think these things do more harm than good?

• Related Discussions

wanted: iris, daylilly,rose books got woman's day & rd

Q

Comments (0)
    I HAVE READER'S DIGEST AND WOMAN'S DAY BOOKS THAT I WOULD BE GLAD TO EXCHANGE FOR NE GARDENING BOOKS ON ROSES LILIILES OR IRIS OR NE THING THAT PERTAINS TO GARDENING OR HOW TO MAKE ARCHES..... JAMIE
    ...See More

7 days short of a year without a period then BAM!

Q

Comments (3)
    Sorry you had a period ! wow a whole year and.. so what does that mean really? Do side effects subside as the months go by without a period? And then ..So say the following year or two one starts feeling normal? I can't figure it out .Great post!
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Woman's Day No Cook Supermarket Diet!!!

Q

Comments (0)
    I believe it was the March 31, 2008 issue. My mom was doing so well on it, went on vacation and lost the article! Trying to find it for her! Thanks in advance!!!
    ...See More

What would Father's Day be without drama?!?

Q

Comments (13)
    I agree with JMT. Also food for thought.... If she originally agreed in an email to 6 pm and now states that won't work for her, how is that handled? I mean... Obviously either one of you can say, this doesn't work for me, I would like to go by the court order. I don't know... I'm just thinking here. We kind of had a situation like this a long time ago. BD could 'opt' to the expanded visitation but had to do it a the time the order was rendered. He didn't opt for it because she was little and he didn't think she should spend school nights with him since she was in kindergarten. All of a sudden one day, I get an email that states I'm opting for expanded visitation and will be picking dd up from school starting today on Thursday nights. I did go through the roof. We agreed it wasn't a good plan. The drive to her school in rush hour traffic on Friday mornings from his house would take almost an hour and a half. And what hurt me the most was that I didn't send her to school thinking she would be going home with him and not returning until Monday morning. We had never been apart for longer than 2 nights for the entire 6 years that she was alive. I went straight to the school picked her up and took her home. Called BD and left him a message saying I had her in my possession and that he could not opt to change his visitation so far in to it. It had to be done at the time of the order. He called the police. They came out. I showed them my papers, of course they said 'can't get involved' but they wanted to try to talk to him and get him to understand what the order says. Apparently SM was telling him it said one thing and he didn't even READ the order or understand it. Didn't even have it on him. That eventually was changed this year (4 years later) and he does have the expanded visitation but it had to be changed by the courts, not by him. He was slapped pretty hard on his little hand by the judge who apparently didn't appreciate a parent emailing and stating OH BY THE WAY... She told him, you agreed to this, now you want to change to this... Which is fine, but you do not have the power to change the order. You don't want me telling you when you will see your child, should not have gotten a divorce. (harsh but a true reality). As soon as we got divorced we had to accept that forever (until 18) that someone else would be deciding what is in the best interest of the child, since apparently getting divorced universally means, two parents who 'agreed' at one time can no longer agree on what they think is right or best. Isn't it funny how that happens. I'm really thinking if she wants to go back on her agreement, she is going to have to take him to court to change it. But since she seems stubborn and you each have a different interpretation of what the order means or says, court might be best. As far as the police, I learned from situations like this that calling the police is a huge no no to the courts. They can not do anything for you or her except protect you if you are in real danger. So don't do the same as her and call the cops. She refuses visitation or any of that, document it, gather enough info so you have enough to show she is no longer working with you but don't involve the police unless you are in real danger. One of the problems with involving the police to work out order disputes is that their involvement is not necessary and it is unnecessary stress on the child. I remember one time, they called the police and my daughter was hysterical. The police came in and asked what was going on. I was refusing to allow DD to go with then gf/now SM to take dd because it was not BDs weekend to have her. She 'stopped' by and thought she would surprise BD with a weekend with dd because he was missing her. Well I told her, it is not his weekend, I don't know you, I have not spoken to him, if he wants her he needs to call me. Not only that but the last time I had spoken to BD he told me they had broken up... I had not heard any different. It was just such a mess and SO embarrassing. There were three cop cars at my house and the neighbors were all outside. Omg what a mess... The only one that was truely effected was dd.
    ...See More
  • bpath
    7 years ago

Well, for me part of being a woman is being a mother, which is a job I can't take a day off from, so I am taking my son to his last audition for college on Wednesday. (And btw, why couldn't I have normal kids who want to major in business or environmental studies? Those applications are so much easier.)

• Jmc101
    7 years ago

How can you participate?

Women are encouraged to not work, whether your job is paid or unpaid.

Women are being asked to avoid shopping in stores and online — except for local small businesses and women-owned companies that support A Day Without a Woman.

Women are urged to wear the color red.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

No.

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

Doesn't that mean I'll have to do twice as much work the next day to catch up?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

What do these sorts of things really accomplish? Marches create an opportunity for networking that can lead to tangible activism I suppose is a plus. Seems useless otherwise. Better that those who really want change work to flip vulnerable congressional districts, senate seats, and state legislatures. Elections do matter. Wearing red does not.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here's an article about it: https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/03/06/day-without-a-woman-strike-march-8/%3Fsource%3Ddam

I am in the US right now and I'm going to try not to shop tomorrow. I think it's an interesting idea to build solidarity and it will be so interesting to see if people around you wear red tomorrow. I think part of the effectiveness of protest in addition to networking is pull-in and activating people politically.

• Renovator Girl
    7 years ago

Wearing red lets the community SEE how much support there is for this movement.

The gay community did something similar in a Florida town many years ago. Faced with some anti-gay legislation, the gay community got its members to stamp their money with a red stamp that read "Gay Money." Business owners could soon see from their cash drawers just how much business the gay community brought to that town, and attitudes changed.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something."

• lakeaffect
    7 years ago

I agree with robo's comments, it is about community building. And full disclosure: I am a progressive, feminist, women's march participant, card carrying member of the ACLU and NARAL, trump loathing, PP donating middle aged white woman, but I think this is a terrible idea.

My friend who is a public school teacher (read: salaried, tenured and a member of a very strong union) with grown children is going to participate, and that's easy for her, she has plenty of paid time off to use, so supporting this laudable - but deeply flawed - event isn't going to cost her a dime, plus she has no real familial duties at this time in her life. But what about hourly workers with no union, no tenure, no paid time off, no nothing? Why on Earth would these women participate knowing their job might be in jeopardy (at worst), and they won't be paid (at best)? I'm glad all the middle class and up women with secure jobs, paid time off and enough clout to avoid disciplinary action by their employer for missing work can participate, but, I think this idea, while very well-intentioned, is classist and isn't going to hit the mark like the Women's March. Having said all that, I won't shop tomorrow and I will wear red, but I will be at work, like millions of other women who can't/won't take the day off.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Wearing red lets the community SEE how much support there is for this movement.

If they know what it is, and if they notice. The "gay money" stamp is something that is tangible and stays in circulation after the initial event.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

This is the first I have heard about this. Tomorrow is a day I'm scheduled to work, so I'll be there. The only red is a red velvet (dressy) top/jacket - which I won't be wearing. (Obviously I rarely wear red!)

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

Lakeaffect, you eloquently make excellent points. I've been on the fence about this, but you expressed my leanings.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

The most important woman's turnout was November 8, 2016. You didn't even have to miss work to participate. I went and did my part, it just wasn't enough.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

I agree completely that many women can't and many shouldn't miss work tomorrow. However I like the idea of a protest that you can buy into at different levels, from wearing red to not shopping to not showing up. It almost makes it more effective when the upper middle and higher class don't show up, because they are the people unfortunately that decision makers listen to. But there is something feels a little bit off about tomorrow for me and I don't think it will generate the type of buzz and momentum that the March did. It feels… pretty white or something.

here is an article that gets to lakeaffect's points and it's true: many woman just can't throw up their hands and stop caring for family members at home either: https://qz.com/924575/womens-strike-2017-a-day-without-a-woman-is-going-to-be-mostly-a-day-without-privileged-women/

I think you guys are in a real pickle because of gerrymandering, over influence of underpopulated states and natural clustering of blues. Even more important than November 8, 2016 is going to be 2018. Getting people out for midterms is crucial and it is going to be a very uphill battle.

• graywings123
    7 years ago

The US military used to do something similar back in the 1950s when towns would complain about their being there. The bank on the base would cash their paychecks and give them only $2 bills. The soldiers would go into town to spend the money and the local shops would see the value of the military base to them.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

I like the idea of community building and solidarity but I am not sure how this achieves it.

Like jellytoast, I think it is perfectly conceivable for many women that any work they leave be on that day will be waiting for them the next. Further, for a lot of work that many women traditionally do, like caregiving, someone could easily step in for one day to meet that need. It is the endless, day in and day out stress of it that is a burden that never ceases that is not understood.

As far as shopping, I think the people most likely to feel the burden of women abstaining for just one day would be servers who would lose tips and are likely those who can least afford, to. Most places that pay people on hourly will pay their employees and one day is not going to have an impact on their bottom line. I did not see as much different than gasoline boycotts where people would try to boycott just one station. Most were still consuming the same amount of gasoline so no point was really made. It would truly be more effective if people boycotted those businesses that violated their principals permanently or made an effort to give more money to the businesses whose practices they admire. It is something I wish I could do more of. I like how Starbucks treats their employees, but it still does not make it where I will spend the money for their product very often. Same thing goes for Whole Foods. I simply cannot afford them on a regular basis.

Maybe we are better off starting a list of businesses that would be worthy of supporting, like the Red Ants (I think is what it was) mentioned in another post.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Disagreeing w/ Sherry - time has yet to tell. IMPO, our current culture has conditioned us to mistakenly expect results to happen quickly. Here's my favorite quote from 1 of my heroes, Granny D (look her up, if you're unfamiliar w/ the name) - just substitute the word 'activism' for 'voting':

"Americans are spoiled into expecting instant gratification. An election is not a deliverance, it is a small ratcheting up of the system, bringing it closer to our values if we are lucky. It is imperfect and almost invisible in its effect. We vote, we build on that success, we vote again, we build on that, we vote again. Democracy is hard work, and the work of a lifetime.

The powerful elite would have you believe that voting doesn't matter: they don't mind you leaving it all for them to decide.

But it is your world, not theirs. It is your life, and you mustn't let them steal it. "

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I get so tired of the privileged woman criticism.

Yes, it is much easier to protest and to organize when you are privileged. It is much easier to do anything; uhhh.... that is what it means to be privileged.

Would others rather that we sat on our duffs? The other part of being privileged is that many of the things we are fighting for don't impact us personally. Would it be morally preferable than that we just ignore the plight of the less privileged, rather than trying to shoulder some of their burden in solidarity?

• eld6161
    7 years ago

I wish there were more ideas like the "gay money" stamp.

I'm always on the fence with these things.

Mtn said, Would it be morally preferable than that we just ignore the plight of the less privileged, rather than trying to shoulder some of their burden in solidarity?

Sounds good in theory. But how does it actually trickle down to the women who is breaking her back, behind the scenes working for minimum wage and can't take the day off, benefit from marches?

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Carol, I think you missed my point. All this protest, walks, don't work today, ect, might make a point, but real informed voters are what will work. The majority of the people don't vote. You need to vote for every local, state, and national election. Not just the final presidenial election, but in the primary also. Voting from the Facebook news or the "Is the head dead yet" so called TV news won't do it. Actually reading the background of the people running, not just what they are pushing at the moment, but what they have done in the past. TV news is all about the ratings not content.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

"Trickling down" is an economic concept that suggests that the wealthier the wealthy are, the more they will spend, benefiting all those who serve them and sell to them.

I think of protests as bubbling up and boiling over. They send a message that a significant, vocal and active voting block holds certain views.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

But how does it actually trickle down to the women who is breaking her back, behind the scenes working for minimum wage and can't take the day off, benefit from marches?

That's the question. But that doesn't mean the statement should not be made.

For years, there has always been official suppression of the actual numbers of participants at these events. The gay March on Washington, the Million Man March--the National Park Service routinely gave an "official" government count that was some fraction of how many people the organizers said were involved. For the Million Man March, they said it was 400,000 and then finally settled on some number in the 700,000s after this was questioned. And for some people the most lasting impression of the Million Man March will probably be the racist joke that went around that the Economic Impact of the Million Man March was negligible "because only about 100 people missed work". And the Women's March is still going to be "An embarrassment, a bunch of loud mouth, malcontent suburban b1tches", --as one of my (getting closer to former) friends said, herself being a loudmouth malcontent suburban er --woman herself, just with different politics.

So--no it is probably not going to have a direct benefit on those most oppressed. It is probably going to even have a negative effect on those people who think everything that's going on is just great, because women (blacks, immigrants, gay people) are of course second class citizens, who are lucky to have it as good as they do because they don't deserve equal rights, and it some countries they would be worse off. Some people will always completely lack empathy and have No idea what it might be like to be someone different.

But that still doesn't mean the statement should not be made.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I thought more and more research has shown that the "trickle down theory" is a fallacy - ?

• 2007marlene
    7 years ago

"people who think everything that's going on is just great, because women (blacks, immigrants, gay people) are of course second class citizens, who are lucky to have it as good as they do because they don't deserve equal rights, and it some countries they would be worse off. Some people will always completely lack empathy and have No idea what it might be like to be someone different."

I can't wrap my head around such thinking, but sadly know it exists. I will never understand this lack of empathy (although I have other words to describe this way of thinking that would get me banned from GW).:-(

• kkay_md
    7 years ago

I'm participating. I seize any opportunity that I can to register my discontent with the policies and people in the current administration.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I thought more and more research has shown that the "trickle down theory" is a fallacy - ?

OT, sorry --- Trickle down was never really an economic theory per se, it is more of a dismissive term used to discredit almost any policy then benefits business owners and the wealthy.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

Yeah - I veered off course there a bit. Apologies!

• lakeaffect
    7 years ago

I don't blame anyone, especially priviliged white women (I am one), for participating, and as I said, I will wear red (at work) and not shop anywhere, but I might spring for lunch at the woman owned cafe in town. In no way, shape or form am I suggesting that anyone stop resisting trump and his hate filled agenda of rack and ruin for all of us not in the upper class. I am saying that I think this event draws too bright a class line for my comfort, and that I'm concerned the specter of employees not working, and, say, potentially closing schools (as I've read), will permit twitler and his minions to characterize this event as lazy public servants taking any excuse not to go to work.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

Trickle-down economics – –is this pejorative applied particularly to supply side economics/other tax cuts for the rich? Great inequality in wealth distribution seems to depress GDP growth for a logical reason -- after a certain wealth threshold the wealthy tend to squirrel away their money and not spend it/use it to employ others. I'm not an economist by any means but it seems logical to me that rapidly increasing wealth concentration is a very serious issue.

Value of privileged people getting mad/getting active: imo, huge. They have the platform, they have the time, they have the connections, and they have the resources. Privileged people are doing some of the greatest and best work in this world. Bill Gates has saved how many lives? 6 million? But I think it's something you have to do without any expectation of thanks or gratitude because we're all human and we tend to be envious of those who have a lot more than we do, and I think with good reason. The same as how the initial organizers of the women's march had to step back and let a more diverse coalition come to the forefront. It may not have felt fair but it was certainly the right thing to do and help build a much broader coalition.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I really hate that term tho - "privileged people". Just a pet peeve I guess! Carry on!

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

I read this earlier and wasn't able to respond until now.. Tish hit on what I wanted to point out. In order to *really* feel the impact of women on our socio-economic system-- and our daily lives, it would be necessary for those least able to strike/protest to do so-- teachers, nurses, servers, cooks, call center workers, bank tellers. emergency workers/dispatchers, laborers, packers, drivers, etc. While certainly I value the role women play in the world-- the role that *I* play in the world, I don't believe this type of protest opens eyes or changes minds. Sure, I am all for solidarity and building strength and message but I don't see this as a means to move the needle.

Of course, the mission/description doesn't claim to do anything more than "recognize".

"we join together in making March 8th A Day Without a Woman, recognizing the enormous value that women of all backgrounds add to our socio-economic system--while receiving lower wages and experiencing greater inequities, vulnerability to discrimination, sexual harassment, and job insecurity.... "

I will go further.. and will likely be chastised for it.. I find it disingenuous to permit/encourage shopping at women-owned businesses. Firstly, a LOT of women business owners in my area support Trump. It pains me to say it but it's true. Secondly, I'd think women who own businesses and support the cause are every bit as able to participate as the rest of us. We are not protesting male business owners-- we're seeking to open the eyes of everyone across the country to the impact of women in the workforce.

If we *really* want to make a difference, we need to be focused on understanding what happened and then on changing minds. HOW could so many women vote for Trump? At least once a week, my bff and I discuss how many women we grew up with-- women we work with -- women we call friends could have voted for Trump. These are educated, independent women for the most part. I don't understand it. I understand not being 100% behind HRC but I can't understand standing with Trump.

But it is not only upper middle class white women who voted for trump. Here in PA, Trump also took many of the working class counties in the western part of the state -- even those that traditionally went D. These are areas hard hit by the economy and unemployment.

It is so very clear to me that we need to clean up our act-- the Democrats have issues if our candidate couldn't win against such a charlatan .. and the Republicans have issues if THIS was the best they could put forward as their nominee (noting that there are plenty of Republicans who aren't all that happy with the outcomes either).

This is where I'd like to see time and energy spent. Absolutely call T out on his actions and statements against women-- against immigrants, races, the environment, etc. But until we start looking at what primary modes of failure brought us to this place, we're not going to make significant progress.

That said, if I owned something red, I'd wear it. I don't. I won't be taking off work because in my line of work, taking off one day will have zero impact.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Here in PA, Trump also took many of the working class counties in the western part of the state -- even those that traditionally went D.

I know a number of voters in this sort of category, and in the Philadelphia suburban counties--not affluent voters--who voted for Trump primarily because they have become anti-career politician, because they feel that the typical politician has not done anything that helped them in a long time. On top of that many of the women in this category seem to find Hillary particularly repellent in an almost visceral dislike. ( I think there were "anybody except Hillary" who would've voted for anybody else --and did.) This is much like the voters that I knew who voted for Obama because they thought that Health Care was going to be Free. I had a number of patients tell me right out "I didn't think he meant I was going to be forced to buy it and then pay for it too). So I think there were a lot of reactionary votes where they lacked critical thinking about what it was really going to mean. I can't understand why anyone in the working classes thought this was going to work out for them.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

To me the perplexing number of voters who *should've* known better reflects the wider disengagement with civics & politics in our country. I believe most people ( maybe until now?) are mostly occupied w/ living day to day & focussed on their personal, immediate needs & wants, rather than civic responsibility & what their representatives are up to. Many really do live in a pastime paradise & others are caught up in the struggle of simply getting by.

But do not overlook the large numbers of voters who were disenfranchised - some permanently - that alone could've swung the election in a different direction, I understand.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

The largest group I see.. in person, not via news reports or social media or polls.. are those who consciously chose Trump. They are not disengaged from civics or politics in the least. They are educated.. and (otherwise) decent, giving, active and productive members of the community. I don't get it.. it just doesn't compute for me. I guess Trump was the price they paid for the supreme court slots and for "not Hillary".

We all have our lines in the sand. I wasn't willing to accept a president who is so obnoxiously disrespectful of the office, our country, our history, our people, our land.. not to mention the offices, countries, history and people of the rest of the world.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Actually I know more women who voted for our current president than men who voted for him.

• rosesstink
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I view wearing red tomorrow as a symbol. Don't discount the value of symbols. I would take the day off if things weren't so sketchy at work. I will NOT leave my one remaining report to face the day alone, after the layoffs on Monday, in the current environment at work. It's too soon, things are too raw. That is my responsibility as a supervisor and a human being. But I can bloody well wear red to signify my agreement with the movement. Every woman, and man, can do that.

• bpath
    7 years ago

I just read that two school districts, one in Alexandria VA! are having non-attendance days tomorrow because so many women, faculty and staff, are not going to be there.

• amylou321
    7 years ago

I think I'll wear black tommorow. Seems appropriate to mourn all the lost jobs that will result in such a petulant display. Perhaps it's because I work for a great company who treats me fairly,but i think this whole thing is a dumb idea. To apply for and accept a job is to agree to the terms of said employment,which entails showing up and doing what that company pays you to do. Taking a "benefit" day to protest is not protesting,it's using a benefit they gave the employee as part of their employment agreement,making the protest ineffective,since by giving you those days to use at your discretion,they have already anticipated such days without you. And just not showing up because of a lack of benefit days is not protesting either,it's failing to do what you agreed to do when you accepted the employment,and therefore making yourself vunerable to termination. How will women being unemployed furthur this agenda?

As for those schools that are closing because of the lack of female staff showing up,they will undoubtedly have to make that day up at the end of the year. That's how it was when I was in school and it closed unexpectedly for something. So that too,while possibly momentarily satisfying to a some (and no doubt to the entire student body at those schools) is rendered ineffective, IMO.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

I traveled to DC for a client meeting, so no staying home for me. I wouldn't have in any case, too many people have sacrificed for me to dishonor them by staying home. I did change my social media photos to red (they have been black since 1/20).

• tinam61
    7 years ago

It was on the local news this morning that this is "Woman's Day" but still have heard nothing about "Day Without a Woman" here in this area.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

Today is International Women's Day (which you may have already known), but here is some Info.

• bpath
    7 years ago

I'm wearing pink. It's a better color on me.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

I was OOT last week, so I have to be here today. But I put it on my door that it is "A Day without a woman but I am here. Yeah, I'm sure the students would love it if class was canceled since spring break is coming up. Not so sure about the admininistration.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

BP, thanks for the idea! I have pink; i literally have no red, and neither does anyone in my family .... not even an accessory in red. I'd have to carry an apple or something.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

I'm seeing some red and a lot of pink today in Sarasota but hard to say if pink is just because Florida. I didn't have a single red or pink thing here sadly. Though I might have brought a tank top.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Haha robo, have you gotten a sunburn yet - maybe that could count...?

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

Yup! Actually I'll repeat this story I posted on Facebook about my pink self yesterday:

So I show up for my architecture lecture well early, follow the visitor parking signs and am kind of puzzled when there's nowhere to park. Like is modern architecture that popular in Florida? How many people are going to this lecture? Valet guys gesture me over, point out the free valet sign, and hustle me out of the car. Valet for a lecture… I guess architecture types are fancy. Anyway it seemed legit and, most of all, free. But when I get to the auditorium my name is not on the list. It turns out lecture has been bumped a block away because Ethan Hawke is speaking at some super fancy event at the auditorium. And that's the story of why there was one sunburned tourist in shorts waiting for her car at the end of the night along with 50 paralytically drunk tux and gown types.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

This is what I did yesterday, painting while wearing red and feeling valued and appreciated. It's a cabinet in my church's vesting room, part of an overall makeover on a shoestring budget. It had been a drab tan, very grungy, with painted wooden knobs. Not a lot of time for prep other than de-krudding. Lots of old dings remain, but it's all part of history. The yellow walls are next on the list.