SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jscotland6

Recommendation for a friendly 'shade' tree

Jimmy Alba
7 years ago

I'm short a good friendly tree that can lend a comforting embrace with its shade and under which I can sit. My vision is of something that can develop into a leafy, spreading giant with strong limbs that tend to be low slung rather than high and vertical, and can be climbed.

My location is South West Scotland, so the conditions in which the tree would be set are:

• Coastal (so some salt tolerance required)
  • Somewhat windy (the occasional storm once or twice a year and the particular nature of my local topography means exposure to strong gusts of up to 80mph is inevitable), therefore the candidate should be sturdy enough to handle winds - deep roots, strong limbs etc.
  • Minimum temperatures of -5 celsius, and even then only rarely and overnight, with minimal snowfall. Summers get up to high 20s on occasion but are generally mid to low 20s celsius.
  • Wet. Year round rainfall totals vary but are generally around 1400mm I believe, with absolutely no issues of drought (I'm not sure there's a Scots word for this concept).
  • Acidic soils.
  • There is all round space, so the bigger the better.

There are many varieties of oak that immediately spring to mind and I've got a tentative list, but I'd love to hear any specific suggestions of varieties that you have found memorable.

Thanks in advance

J

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH