SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
licoricestick

Pawpaw trees, did I plant them wrong?

licoricestick
7 years ago

I love in Omaha, Nebraska, Zone 5b. I'm very new to growing things, so any help would be most appreciated.

Last spring I planted two pawpaw trees in my back yard. These are the first trees I've ever tried to plant, so I did a lot of research and I thought I knew what I was doing. I read that they don't like grass, so I took out the grass in 2 1/2 ft diameter circles and lined the holes with black plastic lawn edging. The kind you stake down and bury. I mixed the existing soil in the holes with some tree soil I found at Lowes, and I put up a shade structure for them using 60% shade cloth. The trees seemed pretty happy their first year. My Shenandoah put on about 9 inches of new growth and my Susquehanna had about 6 inches.

Now I'm worried that my 2 1/2 ft diameter circles are too small for the trees. Especially since I lined it with the edging. Will the edging prevent the roots from being able to grow as much as they need? I would hate for the roots to start circling and end up girdling the trees. I was hoping the roots could just go under the edging, but I really don't know anything about how deep the lateral roots of pawpaw trees grow.

Should I try to remove the edging? I staked it down with metal stakes, so it'll be difficult to remove. I don't want to hurt the trees.

Also, I plan to remove the shade structure this year and allow them to grow in full sun. I ordered them from Edible Landscaping last year.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm