SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_37127589

Need your opinion - service dog question

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So, Paxil & I have been training everyday. I've taken him to ALL my appointments for the past 2 weeks. He's done excellent.

Our main issue is that if there is a long wait... He gets bored, so I bring things to distract him & keep his focus on me.

Other than the Nissan service waiting room - which was full, we've always had plenty of room and not a lot of people around to distract him.

However, I have an appointment on the 13th at my ENT. They are always SLAMMED. There will be kids & adults everywhere and there usually no place to sit in the waiting room. And it takes about 1/2 hour before called back to an exam room.

I'm terrified to bring him. My trainer said I have to take him as he needs all the experience he can get. Good or bad. And I'm able to control him fine & he has never caused a scene.

I also know that when I'm extremely stressed he can sense it and it stresses him. (Well that's part of his job).

Right now I'm about 80% on leaving him home & trying to go alone.

Should I man up & take him?

Its also my fault for not using positive energy and just knowing it will be a positive experience.

*** I'm just so new at this & I don't want to cause a scene or make trouble for anyone.

Currently we're doing things slowly. For example, we go to Walmart at 3am when are maybe 4 shoppers in the whole store so he can get used to shopping & dealing with food on shelves within his reach, that he's not allowed to touch or smell.

We haven't done a restaurant yet because I'm worried he'll want fed or beg for food.

Let me add, when he's with the trainer, he's fine. So it me that really needs the training.

Comments (19)