SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsy_sims

Did you/Could you stay in current home while building?

Lindsy
7 years ago

We are still in the design process of our home. We own the land already, (no mortgage) we are building on.

I of course plan on speaking to our lender about this scenario, but I would like to hear from others on what they personally did and was it your choice, or can/did the bank require you to sell your current home before construction? (That is if it's the equity in your home that you are using for the new build)

My question/dilemma is about when to put our current house on the market. The market is hot in our area, homes lasting from 1-21 days on the market. The equity in our home is the only way we are able to build. I see a lot of people here say they sold and moved into a rental during construction, which could absolutely make sense for some, but here in my area, even for a crappy rental or small apartment (family of 4) it would cost us at least an EXTRA $500 a month in rent compared to our current mortgage. So that scenario just isn't a financially smart move. We could move in with my parents for the last couple of months before the new house would be finished ...

I guess I'm wondering if the bank can have any say on the situation pending we could still make the construction loan payments and with an appraisal of our house would know the general amount of equity we have when we sold that they wouldn't blink an eye if we stayed in our home until closer to completion... this very well could be a dumb question, but since I see so many people say they rented while building it made me wonder if that was your choice that made the most sense for you or if the bank wants to see the large sum of money already liquid even though that money isn't used until the construction loan is converted to a permanent loan?

Comments (33)