SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeannies_garden54

The 12Adenium seeds are planted...

I have them planted....Thanks again Maria Elena :) and now panic is setting in. I have never had much luck growing really anything from seeds :(

I put it next to my seedlings from the Milkweed Tree......I'm thinking to much sun thou!

I have questions now:

My greenhouse is at 95% in the sun right now....do I put them in there with sunshine or more in a shaded area?

I also have a covered ( like in my greenhouse) breezeway where I grow my Epiphyllums and other new cutting plants (to keep a better eye on them) and right now the temp is at 78%. Would that be a better place to keep them?

Do I cover them with the see-through top (for starting seeds)?

This is how I germinated the milkweed tree seeds last month, but it was not as hot as it is now. Still can't believe I did that. I raise Monarchs and ran out of milkweed this last fall....I didn't want that to happen again, so I will hopefully have a tree for the caterpillars to feed on this time. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jeannie :)

Comments (22)

• Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Trying to bump back to top so maybe someone can respond and help me out:)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Jeannie, They seeds do not need full sun or much light at all to germinate in. Once up they can receive sunlight, but not magnified through a glass type greenhouse. The temperature should be 78F or a bit higher, if not using a heat mat. Keep a cover on them only until about 50% - 60% have heaved the soil. Then remove it. Make sure to take the lid off each day to allow fresh air inside dome. If living where humidity levels are high, it is not necessary to use a dome.

when the seedlings have a few true leaves you can introduce to high sun levels slowly.

Rick

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked rcharles_gw (Canada)
  • Related Discussions

wanted: cps seeds or plants to trade for desert plant seeds

Q

Comments (0)
    I'd like to start a terrarium in my classroom with carnivorous plants, anyone interested in trading CP seeds or plants for a variety of seeds from my AZ desert garden: palo blanco, creosote, brown cotton, chaparral sage, cat claw vine. I've also collected mesquite and shoe string acacia seeds, and I can also get palo verde seeds and octopus agave pups. Please let me know if you're interested in trading! Thanks, Rich
    ...See More

Vitality of plants from old seed vs new seed?

Q

Comments (8)
    Inside the seed there is very little substance. A little bit of a plant (embryo), and mostly endosperm. The endosperm serves no function beyond germination, so, if the seed germinates, then the endosperm will have no effect on plant vigor beyond that whether it be a 10 week or 10 year old seed. Other then environment, the only determining factor in plant vigor would be genetics. During dormancy, genetic material is somewhat damaged, however, within cells there are enzymes which actually repair damaged DNA! In a seed cell, all functions, including enzymatic activity are held in a (nearly) suspended animation until seed dormancy is broken. One of the first things that happens is the enzymes go to work repairing the genetic material. If the DNA is so damaged that the cell can not repair it, it goes into cell suicide (apoptosis, programmed cell death). If enough of the genetic material is irreparable, we would not see any germination. If the damage is reparable, then normal cell life continues, assuming favorable growing conditions. I think, overall, aside from germination rate, seed age will not have any significant effect on overall plant health and/or vigor.
    ...See More

Looking for: Toothache / Eyeball plant seeds and Sour Gherkin seeds

Q

Comments (1)
    I have eyeball/toothache plant seeds.. would love to trade for your Firecracker Vine
    ...See More

Better to buy OP seed or to save seed from your best plants/fruits?

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't think that is an oversimplification - I hear that's how some OP varieties have been improved over time. The reverse could easily happen as well by carrying on the characteristics of a weak plant. We save seeds only from varieties and fruits that taste great, selecting from the strongest plants. Our best germinating seeds are from seeds we've saved. We store them in an airtight plastic tub with a desiccant, kept in the fridge. 10-20% humidity and 40F.
    ...See More
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Rick....I decided to bring them indoors until we get a ilttle higher night temps. I check the temp in the greenhouse (I had them on a second shelf not in full sunlight) and it was a little below 70%. I now have them on a heat mat (on a small box off the floor) in my breakfast area window and I covered them (the egg carton) with saran wrap for now. It get dampled sun in the morning and through early evening. I hope this was a good move. The day I planted them, we had hot days and nights and the next day (yesterday) was a lot cooler and the nights in the upper 40's:( We are suppose to have a few more cooler nights and then I will move them back to greenhouse in a shadier area. I received the seed from Maria Elena and I want to do my best to germinate them. Maybe I worry too much!

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Jeannie, don't worry. You can keep them in the warmest room in your house if it makes you more comfortable. Just don't let them get cold or dry out. As Rick suggests, covering with Saran Wrap will boost humidity but be sure to uncover during the day to allow air circulation. Also, spray 2-3x a day ... keep moist but not soggy. I believe they will do just as well where you had them in the warmer greenhouse but need someone else to chime in in terms of the high temp.

I germinate mine outdoors under full tropical sun ... It's how they grow naturally, right? I find I have better germination this way and believe it's heat that's most important to germinating these.

Please, no stress. I'm hopeful for excellent germination on your first try but know where you can get more, just in case. If you'd like to see photos of your potential blooms, click on "Adenium" at the top and skip over to eeyore oregon's KO Seedlings thread.

Always feel free to reach out. We're all here for each other.

Maria Elena

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
  • ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    7 years ago

Maria Elena, do you cover or use a dome when germinating? When I lived in DC, I did with seeds from Laura & they germinated. Here in Mexico, I've used domes & covers--outside on the balcony during the day & inside on top of the DVR, etc., at night (lows drop to 69-65 some nights) on seeds I bought online from a reasonably reputable supplier here in Mexico (importing is a huge hassle). It has been 22 days now & only 1 of 15 germinated. When I lived in Miami, I didn't grow DR, so I can't compare.

So... bad seeds are a possibility. Or maybe with the tropical sun, I'm cooking the seeds by covering? I do remove lids/domes periodically, and I'm always checking for growth. Possibly I shouldn't sow in gritty mix, but instead move into gritty after they've established a bit? (My gritty mix is what I can find locally in Puerto Vallarta & is not a true Al's mix. I think my pieces are a bit large.)

Any thoughts?

i know I jumped in on your thread, Jeannie. Sorry. I've been meaning to ask Maria Elena because her growing conditions are closest to mine (unless anyone here is in Honolulu, which has a similar climate to Puerto Vallarta).

7 years ago

Hyn, do you place another wet paper towel on top or just the one beneath the seeds? About how long after germination do you transfer?

• Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
    7 years ago

Over top too. As soon as I see the roots coming out I transfer them to the domed flat right on top of the damp soil without covering them. The seed coats are really easy to slip off at this point as well since they'll be fully saturated and not half dry.
    The tap root burrows right in literally within a couple of hours to start lifting the seeds upright. I wear 'Gloves in a Bottle' for this as they are toxic plants, then wash up.

I like this method because it lets me see everything and record fairly precise data on how many germinate, how many succumb to mold or bacteria (usually none if they have been bleached or otherwise sterilized), how many were non-viable for other reasons, how long exactly it takes for them to show tap roots, etc.

7 years ago

I think I'll try your method, Hyn. Thanks :)

7 years ago

Direct to soil works well too. Not knocking it. I just like this option to see everything that is going on and it was recommended by 3 of the 4 sellers I got seed from so I thought it worth trying. Worked great.

7 years ago

Patty, I'm glad this process works for you and helps you record accurate germination data. That said, I do not personally recommend handling fragile adenium seeds like that. Especially not something I'd recommend to Jeannie & other newbies. The "bag method" is better suited to big, sturdier seeds, like plumerias. In fact, I've successfully germinated plumeria seeds in 3% hydrogen peroxide using the bag method but found that the chances of damping off still exist once the seed is transplanted.

Ariel, my apologies ... Your message just came through a cyber hold.

From my own personal experience within my environment (avg daytime high 82 (winter)-96º F (summer), avg nighttime low 68 (winter)-88º F (summer), avg humidity 78-86%), here are my recommendations for sowing seed:

Jan / Feb overnight temps are too clammy to plant adeniums, which need a stable high 85º F. I sow in sterile Seed Starter mix ... it's like a pillow and there is zero damping off. Fill container, spray with water, place seed flat, sprinkle more soil to just cover seed, spray again. Spray 3-4 times a day to keep soil moistened but not soggy. I place my seed trays outdoors in direct sunlight. This does not harm the seeds at all and the warmth of the sun helps germination. Around 6 pm all seed flats come indoors to my hottest room. I see lots of overnight germination.

I am not a fan of community pots ... Each seed gets its own "chamber." I do not cover because the purpose of that is to increase humidity. My humidity is already too high. When I sowed my very first two batches of seeds, I was wrongly advised to cover them at night and uncover them during the day. That's fine for arid environments. What that did was cook my seeds. The point is culture ... You have to do what works within your climate and your growing conditions.

I am so grateful for all the marvelous folks on this site who helped me figure things out over the course of this past year. My very first adenium experience was a successful air layering. Imagine that! These plants (trees) are amazing. I don't think we'll ever stop learning from each other ... or from them.

Maria Elena

7 years ago

I'm thinking that, except the one that germinated, I cooked the seeds. Well, I'll try again! Thanks for your suggestions, Maria Elena. Our conditions are fairly similar. I may even try a couple of different ways.

7 years ago

Please share your results, Ariel ... Not on Jeannie's thread, though, LOL.

Jeannie, apologies for hijacking your thread. How is your germination coming along? Did you keep them in the house or move them back to the greenhouse? Are you holding your breath and waiting to exhale? LOL ... You should see them begin to pop any day now, say Tuesday-ish! Please share when they do.

Maria Elena

7 years ago

Haha, I don't think these big seedlings are very fragile. Not at all, compared to the tiny things I'm used to handling. But to each their own. I only wished to mention another method should anyone care to try it. ;) Otherwise I entirely agree, there are lots of ways to do things and it's only a matter of figuring out what works best for you in your particular situation.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm still waiting for them to pop through the soil:( I think I see a few trying to come through....I put them back out in the greenhouse during some days when it was a bit sunny, but we've had rain/clouds for the last 3 days. I have them back inside and back on the heating mat.

Thanks for all the help, Jeannie :)

7 years ago

You're taking care of those babies like a mama, Jeannie. Any time now! Keep them moist.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I heard a seed say...."I think I can, I think I can, I think I can :) I see a tiny bit of green :)

Just took this picture. Sorry it's blurry (still storming outside) and not much light for good picture.

There are 3 others that I think may be the tops of the seeds?

I took this picture this morning before bringing back out to greenhouse.

They are still the same. I wonder why the one decided to pop out of soil before these 3 did? They are all in the same egg carton.

I'm really trying to be patient! We have more days of cloudy and cooler weather. It's been around 75-82 in my greenhouse (only some days when some comes out a bit), but I've been keeping them inside the house every night. I put them on the heat mat every morning until the weather is warm enough and I bring them out to the greenhouse. I hope I'm doing things right! Thanks, Jeannie :)

7 years ago

You're fine Jeannie. They are all different seeds for differen plants / flowers and have different genetics. It's Tuesday & I called it, right? Ha ... Sending good vibes your way for excellent germination.

Maria Elena

• Stephane (Texas-8a)
    7 years ago

Hello Jeannie,

Where are you in Texas? I am in Dallas and I started growing from seeds last year so I'm pretty new to this but I've had 10 successful trays so I'm content with that. This is what I do. I place the seeds in a 72 cell tray. About half an inch deep. Then I water each cells. Once done, I cover the tray with the plastic dome and place the tray on a heat mat. I also put a piece of foam under the tray and the heat mat so that I don't lose heat. Temperature averages 80 to 82 in the soil.

I gently water once in a while to keep the soil moist.

The tray is also in my greenhouse all day and night. After about 3 days, I can see a few of them peaking out. And after a week, they are all out.

I learned a lot of the people around here so I'm sure you will too :)

Stephane

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked Stephane (Texas-8a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Stephane,

I'm between Houston and Galveston (close to Clear Lake area). Thanks for all the info. We have had cloudy/rainy weather for the last 5-6 days (more days to come like that) and I wish I would of waited a little longer to plant the seeds. Thanks, Jeannie :)

Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, I finally got enough yogurt cups (lol) to transplant my 5 babies that made it from the 12 original ones. No really, I just took the time to finally transplant them. I have been fighting spider mites that came on my last order from the Ebay seller I was buying small Adeniums from :( Plus I have tooooooo many plants to care for!

Here they are:

They are so cute....Thanks again Maria Elena!

Happy Gardening, Jeannie :)

6 years ago

They are looking great, Jeannie. So happy to see some survived those tricky, cool, clammy days. Each one is for a different bloom, so you will enjoy a lovely little adenium garden with these next spring/summer. In the meantime, enjoy watching them grow into fatsos.

One of my 11-month-olds, grown from seed, is blooming. Can't wait to meet those flowers! It was from one of my first mixed seed packets, so I have no idea what it'll be ... Probably another single pink ;-p

Maria Elena

PS: Please get some Triple Action NEEM Oil (Southern AG, $10/8 oz), broad spectrum fungicide, insecticide, miticide for those spider mites. Mix 1 tblsp per gallon and spray everything (plants, underside of leaves, and surrounding area) around 6 pm when the sun is setting. In the morning, before 10 am, rinse off everything with a hose so the remaining residue doesn't cause leaf burn under full sun. Repeat every 3 days until the problem has been eradicated. Godspeed.