SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosiegolden

Benjamin Moore White Sand - Help Please?

7 years ago

I am considering painting the walls of my living and dining rooms Benjamin Moore White Sand. For months now I have been in the very slow process of redecorating, changing the effect from a very 90s French Country feel to a more sophisticated, transitional feel. (At least, that is the goal.) Since I have a limited budget, I have been acquiring and getting rid of furnishings through Craigslist.

The cheery yellow walls must go!

The rug in the living room, and similar ones in adjoining areas, is this one. (Other photo below shows rug in a nearby area.) Furniture is oatmeal, taupe, muted green. Overall the feel is fairly muted, with color in the throw pillows and accessories (rust, mustard).

I am considering BM White Sand because it is neutral and allegedly a warm tone, a "greige" with a beige undertone. But, I put a sample swatch on the wall yesterday and it looks a bit cool to me. I had considered BM Edgecomb Grey, but I think I like the lighter effect of White Sand.

My real hesitation is the undertone, because the room in question is overall pretty warm.

Has anyone used this color? If so, do you consider it warm, cool?

Comments (37)

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is my sofa, but in oatmeal color. Matching chairs facing it in my room are similar to the one pictured shape-wise. They are taupe color.

Photo of my LR:

• Related Discussions

Please help, benjamin moore atrium whtie or white dove??

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a hard time with the white color ranges. They all seem to be the same and yet so different. I also find it hard to match existing white paint in my home. Have you ever taken a paint swatch home, liked it so you paint the room, and then it is a totally different color than the swatch. I have found a web site that really helped me in choosing the right color. Try this site out and see if it helps you. Here is a link that might be useful: Paint color cheat sheets
    ...See More

Benjamin moore whites.... please advise!

Q

Comments (1)
    I think I used Seafoam BM for my trim which is a white with a very very light touch of greenish blue. I have it on trim and doors with a sand dollar light earthy tan sherwin williams that the interior was painted with. The greenish blue hue isn't even noticeable other than it is just a softer white than bright. I think it really looks cool and soothing with the tan. I had a painter recommend it and thought he was nuts until I tried it.
    ...See More

Help With Benjamin Moore Color Dilemma PLEASE!

Q

Comments (4)
    My vote is for OC-40! Of course, colors look different depending upon the space, light quality, and adjacent surfaces so it's a best guess without being there in person. Best of luck with your project!
    ...See More

Doors, Trim, Ceiling paint - Simply White Benjamin’s Moore or other

Q

Comments (1)
    I would keep the Ceiling White paint. Here is a chart that illustrates wall and trim color combinations.
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

Thank you very much - this is very helpful. Do you have any suggestions for BM colors similar to White Sand, but with a warm undertone?

• PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Furniture is oatmeal, taupe, muted green.

You need a thread of cohesiveness to bring it all together. This is the reason you need to pull the light 'beige' color directly from the rug for the walls.

rosiegolden thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 7 years ago

Thank you - I did just that in choosing White Sand, but am in doubt now about whether that is the right choice. Do you have a specific BM color to recommend?

• PRO
    7 years ago

I did just that in choosing White Sand, but am in doubt now about whether that is the right choice.

I'm thinking your wanting White Sand to feel warmer might have something to do with chroma, the amount of grayness, more than color temperature.

See if SW7571 Casa Blanca from Sherwin-Williams looks and feels better to you.

rosiegolden thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 7 years ago

Sorry to stray, but i want to know about the LR rug. The one at the top in the rug photos. I love it! Where is it from?

• 7 years ago

jtoyou, I bought it from Hautelook online, but it is available elsewhere. It is called Artistic Weavers Middleton Allison and the color is grey. There are other, similar rugs in the Artistic Weavers Middleton collection as well.

http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/surya-allison/grey/396AWMD2085-9013.html?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CLz_pLnVutICFV5MDQodnxgDKw

• 6 years ago

Just painted our Master Bathroom

using BM White Sand and Super White High Gloss Trim and LOVE IT! I was going for the whole monochromatic look :) Continued it into our Large Master Suite and.....what a difference!

• 5 years ago

Lisa Levy, that's an amazing bathroom. Great choice in color!

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Lisa Levy, what color is the ceiling? Beautiful colors!

• 5 years ago
    JLADWL, you sound like a peach. So kind and helpful.
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Rosiegolden please disregard the comment above. My app was open as I was researching the same colour. Another household member made the comment. My sincere apologies.
  • 5 years ago

BM Sandy White

• 4 years ago

Warm

• 4 years ago

I use white sand for all the trim in my house, I love it. I am thinking of painting my kitchen walls and was thinking of a grey tone. Any ideas? It's a North side room, so limited in natural light. cabinets are oak, but will also be painting them.

• 4 years ago

@Lori A. Sawaya I'm considering BM White Sand for exterior paint of a house with dark red roof and dark bronze window trims. I'm debating among BM White Sand, Olympic Mountains, and Alaskan Skies. House is west sun facing. Would the White Sand appear too yellowish with full sun in the afternoon?

• 4 years ago

@trish flood Did you end up painting White Sand on the walls? How do you like it?

• 3 years ago

The exterior of my house is painted with Benjamin Moore White Sand, and I’m looking to update our front door color. Any suggestions or pictures of homes painted with BM White Sand?

• 3 years ago

Benjamin Moore Wythe blue would look great on your door. I love white sand and have painted my main interior rooms this color. It seems to go with just about everything. White sand is a bit warm but still cool enough to appear crisp

• 2 years ago

Trish do you have any pictures of the rooms painted Benjamin Moore White Sand?

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We recently moved into a home which previously had painted yellow walls. We chose 50% strength of a hirshfield’s paint color which turned out nearly identical to SW White Sand. While these photos make look gray, it is nearer a warm ”mushroom” color color, usually appearing a warm muted cream. I have found that low light does bring out slightly peachy tones, so I would recommend it only for open rooms with good natural light. I’ve included several angles so you can see how it looks in different light. Please excuse the mess, our home is a construction zone! You can still see the original yellow to the left of the entry.

• 2 years ago

JayeD, thank you for sharing. I wish Houzz would send me updates. I love your neutral walls.

• 2 years ago

We just repainted our entry, hallways and family room in white sand and we LOVE it! ( previously pale yellow) It’s a warm griege - not too grey, not too beige. We needed a color that would work in all light- N,S,E, and W. We have navajo white trim and the colors look very good together. But I think white sand would work very well with a crisper white too. ( still waiting for sconces!)

• 2 years ago

@crystalpennies, I love the BM White Sand walls with all the light you have with the BM Navajo White Trim! Thank you for sharing.

• 2 years ago

all the trim in my house is white sand

• 2 years ago

Which white paint has a gray and peach undertone... Anybody? Anybody?

• 2 years ago

The problem is that, to get ”gray” with paint, opposites on the colorwheel must be used, which means that there will be undertones. I know of no peach-gray, becuase peach (orange gold or pinky gold) would ulitmately lend pink, red, or yellow tones to the white (actually an off white or cream). If you decide which of those you either would rather work with or need to work with, depending on what already exists in your home, then use the above as a starting point. Note - photo borrowed from Maria Killiam’s design blog.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Which white paint has a gray and peach undertone... Anybody? Anybody?

Paint colors don't really *have* undertones. Undertones are just someone's subjective opinion about what a color looks like to them under an unspecified light source.

However, every color does belong to a hue family. Hue family is objective and is derived from a color's DNA - basically, we can measure color and the resulting data is what I call color DNA.

We use those data values to organize color. And I can tell you there aren't that many colors of white that fit a description of gray and peachy. I listed all of them below. Peachy referring to the Yellow-Red (orange) hue family range. We have over 6,000 colors in The DNA Table -- including every color of white from every brand. For example, MAG is Joanna Gaines Magnolia Home.

• 2 years ago

Here are the SW and BM colors from EasyRGB that are peach/gray

Top 2 are grayer, bottom 2 a bit more colorful.

Pick out a few different colors and test in your space. Make notes on your reactions.

If we know that one color is too light, another too dark and the one in the middle too pink or too gray we can help you find the perfect balance between the colors.

• 2 years ago

crystalpennies. Thanks for sharing the picture. I am considering White Sand or Edgecomb Gray for my south facing room but my sample of White Sand looks a bit more gray on one wall and more beige and more yellow on another wall (but the existing colour may be skewing the colour). Just wondering if you find it leans more beige or gray as it looks beautiful in your pictures. Thank you.

• 2 years ago

We just happen to have Edgecomb Gray in our East and South-East facing sunroom. Here, it is pictured with our limestone-look tile which is a very warm blend of gold, gray, and taupe/brown, shown at 11:30 am with only external, natural light. Due to a large tree to the SE side it may be less bright than your S-facing room.

• 2 years ago

This room, too, is a project not yet finished. in fact, we move the furniture out this afternoon so that floor and crown moulding may be installed to ready it for new furniture, which will arrive next month. In our experience, EG looks more like cement gray in interior passages which receive less natural light.

• 2 years ago

What color trim goes well with white sand?

• 2 years ago

Usually when we pick white trim it needs to work with the wall color, but since the same white is used generally used throughout the home and not just one room, it also needs to work with the kitchen cabinets and countertops and bathroom cabinets and countertops and flooring throughout the home.

White Sand is a warm mid toned beige, so you can use warmer whites such as White Dove, Cloud White and Simply White. (The three most popular BM warm whites).

If you have marble countertops in your kitchen this may not work well, so you may need to go with something like Chantilly Lace, that works with the Marble and is neutral enough to work with White Sand.

• 2 years ago

HU, I‘m no designer (so I’m interested in their input as much as you are), but here is a photo taken in weak morning light showing L to R: SW Pure White, BM White Dove, BM Cloud White, and SW White Duck ( not really a white). I’ve seen photos of White Sand with trim as deep as Navajo White, and as clean as Chantilly Lace, so it seems to be an easy color to trim with all but the most cool of whites. I suppose it depends on how much of a contrast you prefer. You should also take into consideration your flooring color, and any other fixed finishes in your home if using the trim throughout your home. A white with only a slight undertone will be more versatile than one such as Navajo White, for example which has more noticeable warmth.

• 2 years ago

Oops! they really blew up that photo. if you click on it, you will be shown a clearer picture.