SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

What is this shrub and how do I remove it?

I have a hedgerow made up of an unidentified, semi-evergreen shrub in my new backyard. I'd love to know what it is, just for my own edification (looking at my photos, I think they might lack enough detail for an ID - I included one from August when the hedge was at its peak but I might need to go take a close up too!). Unfortunately, this hedgerow is planted on the only sunny and flat area on the property, and I want to use this area for raised beds. So, the hedgerow has to go! The question is - how?

The shrubs are planted right next to a cement retaining wall and seem to be fairly firmly entrenched. I suppose I could simply cut them off close to the ground and build the raised beds right on top of them, but I don't know if that will actually kill them, and the last thing I want is them popping back through my vegetable beds! I would also hate to kill them off if they could be transplanted elsewhere or given away, but given their location and proximity to the retaining wall, I fear that removing them by the root may do a great deal of damage. Some photos of the area are below. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

View from the wall side:

Close up of root at wall:

View from the back side:

How it looks in August:

Comments (27)