SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawerkamp

Wise ways to align incentives in building contracts?

kawerkamp
7 years ago

We are working on houseplans (ARG is on the job, hooray!), and I'm interviewing builders right now so we can get the show on the road as soon as plans are ready. Most custom builders in our area operate on a cost-plus model, which is understandable (this will be a large custom home, so it's impossible for any builder (or me!) to forecast exactly how much we'll spend on tile, trim, lighting fixtures, etc.). That said, with this kind of contract, there is an inherent conflict of interest---i.e., the more we spend, the more they make; and they have no motivation to negotiate with suppliers on our behalf. There are a few builders that do a fixed-cost home (good for predictable cost, and motivates them to negotiate w/ suppliers) , but it also means they may cut corners to make their margin or they'll really limit my selections for finishes (esp if they underbid the project).

So my question, wise houzzers, is this: For a custom home, are there creative variations of a cost-plus pricing model that help align the homeowner and builder's interest to economize when possible? (For example, what if we arrange a fixed bid for the structure itself--totally predictable things they can bid from the plans such as foundation,framing, roof, plumbing-- and then did cost-plus for the finish work?) Any contract variations that you have found particularly helpful in your builds?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting