SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brent_christensen100

Zero Waste Reverse Osmosis (RO) system and tankless water heater...

For about 10 years now we've enjoyed the benefits of having RO water for drinking and cooking using a Watts Premiere "ZRO-4" system. We're undergoing a remodel and decided to go tankless on our water heater in order to free up a BUNCH of space. But it just dawned on me that this RO system uses the old water heater's tank to "deposit" waste water so that it doesn't just get flushed down the drain, and with the move to a tankless heater, there won't be any place for this waste water to go...

So my immediate question is - does anyone know how to retrofit this "ZRO-4" system so that it just dumps waste water down the drain instead of back into the hot side of the plumbing? (install manual is here). I'm not sure which parts to remove and how to replumb it so that it works properly in "non zero-waste mode" (like a normal Watts RO system). I see other systems that route waste water up to the faucet and then down to a drain saddle for some reason that I don't understand (air gap?)...

And since I hate the idea of dumping 4 glasses of water down the drain every time I drink 1 glass, I want to know if there is another high-efficiency RO system that doesn't require a tank type water heater in order to recycle waste water. Any suggestions out there?
Thanks

Comments (9)