SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coffeeberry

Help with small kitchen layout

coffeeberry
7 years ago

We are just getting started with a kitchen remodel, and we are total beginners. We would love suggestions on layout for our small (11 by 13 foot) space.

Last year's bathroom remodel was easy because we weren't changing the layout. For the kitchen, we are open to moving windows, doors, plumbing, and gas. We are also taking advantage of this opportunity to rethink the dining area, which is now located in an area that was once a back porch (far from the kitchen).

I've attached the current layout followed by one of the proposed new layouts.

We really like our designer's idea of adding a small entry way and changing the direction of the front door. We also like the idea of removing the fireplace, moving the dining table to be near the kitchen, and changing the former sunporch part of the living room to be all at one level, without the half-walls or step-down floor we have now. So far, so good.

The kitchen layout is more of a challenge. I've only shared one of designer's ideas here; the others are all interesting variations. My main concern is how to create a seating area that leaves a wide enough space to walk through. I don't think we're there yet. In the drawing of the proposed plan, the distance from the edge of the curved counter to the fridge is 36 inches.

We are two adults. One of our adult kids lives with us temporarily (and loves to cook), but he will not be living here when the kitchen is done. We have one main cook and one (occasional) prep cook in the house. We need enough counter space for food preparation, clean-up, and a good-sized espresso machine, coffee grinder, and hot water kettle. I'd prefer to keep other appliances stored away if possible. We eat breakfast in the kitchen, and right now we are using an awkward counter with no overhang for that purpose. Even if we didn't eat in the kitchen, we want people to be able to sit and hang out while chatting with the cook.

The door to the outside from the kitchen can be moved elsewhere along that wall. It leads to a side yard with a grill, couple of chairs, and garden storage cabinets.

We'd welcome suggestions at any level. Thank you!

Comments (15)