SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
everado

Moaic Virus Resistance

everado
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I live in a part of Florida where mosaic virus spreads very quickly. A lot of people have Hippeastrums planted in their yards here because we don't get hard frosts. I believe that these plants are serving as a local reservoir for the virus. We also have so many bugs that will attack any kind of plant, so the virus gets transmitted very quickly. Most of the hybrids I have tried to grow have gotten the virus, some of them very severely. In my experience, the virus significantly detracts from the appearance of the flowers, so I do whatever I can to keep a "clean" collection.

I strongly suspect that ploidy is a major risk factor for the virus. I have collected mostly species bulbs, and most of them have not been infected. Species bulbs are mostly 2n, and hybrids are mostly 4n. There are exceptions to this, but there does seem to be a correlation.

I'd like to create a comprehensive list of which species and hybrids have shown resistance or susceptibility. That way, people can make an informed choice about which bulbs are safe to bring into close contact with uninfected bulbs, or are safe to place outside in areas where the virus is endemic.

Here's what I have so far. If anyone has more info, please share!

Known to be resistant:

H. brasilianum
H. papilio

Suspected to be reistant:

E. blumenavium
H. ambiguum
H. angustifolium
H. anzaldoi
H. argentinum
H. aulicum
H. bukasovii
H. calyptratum
H. caupolicanense
H. curitibanum
H. evansiae
H. glaucescens
H. guarapauvicum
H. harisonii
H. iguazuanum
H. lapacense
H. leonardii
H. mandonii
H. machupijchensis
H. morelianum
H. nelsonii
H. pardinum
H. parodii
H. petiolatum
H. psittacinum
H. solandriflorum
H. stylosum
H. traubii
H. yungacense
H. ex. ‘Cardoso Moreira’
'Sophisticate'

Suspected to be susceptible:

H. reginae
H. puniceum
H. vittatum
'Apple Blossom'

Known to be susceptible:

H. cybister
H. doraniae
H. reticulatum v. stratifolium
H. starkiorum
H. striatum
'Half and Half'
'Lemon Lime'
'Red Lion'
'Susan'
'Star of Holland'

Most of the "suspected to be resistant" entries are bulbs that I have grown outside for at least a few months here, and they did not become infected. I'm being conservative about declaring anything "known to be resistant" and not including anything unless other people can agree on that conclusion. If a cultivar/species has ever contracted the virus in my experience, I placed it under "known to be susceptible." If you have any info or experience about the virus, please share!

Justin

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions