SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_and_tellu

10-Acres Now Under Contract - Upstate, SC

John & Tellu
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Ok, so mushcreek knows exactly what we were working with here... putting the pieces together, he's maybe 15 minutes away from us and likely was driving the exact roads we were when he was searching for his plot.

We had been scouring the upstate of South Carolina for land sales for a few months and were getting discouraged that our small-ish budget (for the area) wasn't going to get us nearly what we were looking for. I wanted to spend 80k, but thought that we could possibly stretch to 100k. My wife, the free spirit, was like '150!'

Our requirements at the outset?:

• 10-20 acres
  • Mountain view
  • A creek or pond on or bordering the property
  • Within a 25 minute drive of our jobs
  • Topography conducive to privacy (i.e. the high point fairly central on the property)
  • On a quiet road

Uh, yeah, in other words, we were shooting for the moon.

But in a 'come to Jesus' Saturday morning conversation, we were talking about our 'wants' being too ambitious and how we would have to cut most all of them out, when we noticed a property on Zillow that had just been listed the day before. Short story shorter, we rode out there and shot out an offer immediately. BTW, if you write in that little Zillow contact form that you want to place an offer of x amount, the realtor calls you back in like 2 minutes.

So, we ended up with 10-acres that checked all our boxes for 90k:

It's a directly North/South lot and is a hot mess of trees and brush. But I swear that when we clear it (well, thin it out at least, my wife loves the trees) we'll be able to see the Blue Ridge mountains. See here, I'm at a 15 ft lower elevation downhill from the high point of the land and yep, mountains:

We will be designing our own home as a Scandinavian/Italian/Saltbox mashup and we will document it all here, although we won't break ground for probably 1.5 to 2 years. Some type of barn/storage/workshop must come first.

Our build budget will be targeting $110 per square foot for 2,600 sq/ft... so 280k. My wife, the free spirit, is like '350!'

Comments (11)