SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isabel_lin_sea

Need help finding a replacement kitchen sink by size of sink cutout

Bella Lynn
7 years ago

Locating a suitable 33x22" kitchen sink based on cutout size. Any resources or sites to use for an efficient way to find specs and sort by cutout size?

--- Details ---
Kitchen sink faucet replacement morphed into replacing the garbage disposal and, ta-da, kitchen sink. Hardware store plumber came to remove the 33x22" porcelain sink and install the new stainless steel sink. Only to find that the cutout in the granite countertop was too small!

Existing cutout is 31.375 x 19.875" when the new one requires 32.375 x 20.375". Apparently one only discovers this when the original sink has been removed. The problem is that unlike the porcelain sink, SS sinks apparently have a U-shaped rail under the sink on all 4 sides, used to clamp the sink to cabinets under the countertops If there was a way to cut off/remove the rails or at least 2 of them, I believe the existing cutout would be sufficient for the new sink.

To enlarge the hole, the granite edge on the short side would have to be cut on top of existing cabinet wall, which separates the sink cabinet with the adjacent storage cabinet. Research is also suggesting that it's not a great idea to have the cut enlarged while the granite is in place (ex. creating a tent to reduce dust, create a tarp sink for the water used with the cutter, etc.). I live in a condo with downstairs neighbors, plus all the dust and related health hazards, so I'm really concerned about this part.

My efforts to research for other 33x22 sinks based on cutout size are slow going - going to each manufacturer website, pulling up specs for each model, not/finding the cutout dimensions, etc. Is there a faster way or a resource?

I went to a plumbing showroom, but the salespeople were no help. They didn't have a database or e-catalog that had all the specs in one handy place to sort by.

At this point, I'm looking at all options - to find a sink of any kind of material, so long as I don't have to dismantle my countertop or have granite cut in place. But perhaps folks have done either/both options - advice/pros/cons?

Thank you!

Comments (6)