SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Growing Calotropis procera from seed

Mary Leek
7 years ago

Since we had a lot of discussion on the Calotropis procera and Calotropis gigantea milkweed last season and since so little information for growing in home gardens in the US is available, I thought I'd write up a history of my first year growing experience with Calotropis procera from seed.

below: seedlings on Jan 7, 2016 under grow lights

below: young plants on Jan 26, 2016 under grow lights (they grow fast). I keep grow lights on 22 hours per day, with a rest of 4 hrs., using four tubes of 2 different color spectrum's in fixture and plants are always grown very close to the lights.

below: Jun 6, 2016 Calotropis procera blooms on one of these young plants, no seed pods ever formed (I never noticed insect activity on these flowers)

below: Oct 26, 2016 trimmed stub of a mature 10 month old plant grown all summer in a pot; trimmed in preparation for overwintering in small greenhouse

below, close up of base of this plant, showing the new grow erupting along the trimmed stalk/truck of plant ... I'd guess the length of the stub was maybe 8-10 inches. I didn't think to measure at the time. This same plant is in the greenhouse now, with a lot of new growth on it, which tells me these plants can be safely trimmed in order to increase density of the plant. Throughout the summer, growing in this small pot, it remained as a single stemmed plant, never developing side branches and with lower leaves eventually falling off as new growth was produced at the top. This might have been due to being grown in a small pot or perhaps because of neglect during my absence from home for several weeks during the growing season. Note the slight violet coloring in the new leaf growth. I wonder if this slight coloration is indicative of the color of the blooms?

and finally, below is a photo of two sections of the trimmed stem from this plant, stuck into an old pot to see if they would root. They did, as you can see from the new growth beginning at the leaf nodes on each stem. Also, notice the deep ridges at the base on the 10 month old plant stalk above. This variety of giant milkweed, Calotropis procera, develops more of a bark like surface with deep ridges forming on the oldest part of the plant trunk (unlike the stalk surface of the Calotropis
gigantea, which maintains a smoother surface, even at the oldest part of the trunk near the soil surface).

Ultimately, the rooted stem on the right died while overwintering in the greenhouse, no doubt due to the growing medium being kept too moist. These plants don't like a lot of water. If kept too moist, leaves will turn yellow and fall off and eventually, the entire plant could rot at the base and die.

I am a home gardener and this has been my first year growing experience with this 'new to me' milkweed plant.

Because of the kindness of a fellow gardener, I also had the pleasure to grow the other variety of what is commonly called 'giant milkweed' by many gardeners, Calotropis
gigantea. There are slight differences in plant looks and growth structure, leaf surface texture and shape of the blooms but both will feed monarch cats.

In my very limited experience, the monarchs seem to prefer other milkweed, if available, for egg laying but at least one Monarch mama did leave some eggs on both varieties of this milkweed and monarch cats were successfully raised on leaves from both of these large milkweed plants. I was away from my garden for much of last season and only a few tropical mw (Asclepias curassavica) and these large milkweed plants were still producing decent leaf growth during the fall Monarch migration.

I fed the baby cats this past fall with tropical leaf material until they were bigger, then switched them to leaf material from these milkweed plants. The cats eclosed as healthy butterflies and were sent on their way. I like to think some of their grand babies might drop by for a visit this spring! :-)

Mary

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor