SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindnessgw

Should We Decommission An Odd Rather Unfunctional Sunroom We Dont Need

cupofkindnessgw
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have a single story home that is approximately 3,000 in a metropolitan area. Slab foundation. Our lot is rather small, with a little backyard.
We have a living room, family room, a dining room where my teens study, plus five bedrooms. An open floor plan, more or less, though the kitchen does not open to the family room. But this wonky sunroom has always presented a design challenge. It has one wall that faces the outside, that's it. Not particularly sunny at all unless it's late afternoon. The room is about 10.5 feet wide and about 22 feet long. The kitchen nook angled windows bump out into the sunroom, which is simply odd. With the open floor plan, you can see the living room and family room and kitchen from the sunroom, which means that you see a lot of sofas and chairs. There is no lack of places to sit in my house. We don't need the sunroom for gatherings. And when someone is in the master bedroom sleeping, no one can use the sunroom anyway. But that is rarely an issue.

The sliding aluminum patio door in our sunroom is way past it's prime. I'd hazard a guess and say it's always been a cheap and poorly performing door. It's forty years old. It is extremely hard to open and close, and it gaps when shut, so you have to fiddle with it to get it closed properly. We want to replace it but believe that the threshold of the sliding patio door is embedded in the patio, so to remove/replace the door means that we have to tear up a part of the patio, which is also slowly sinking along the garage side. We would probably replace the patio too. We researched this option years ago and found out that it would cost thousands to replace the door with a custom one because of the odd size of the opening and the threshold problem.
Given that the entire project would cost thousands beyond the cost of a new door, not to mention upgrading the windows to match, I wonder if we should simply tear out the exterior wall and create an under-roof line patio and update the doors and windows in the family room that look into the sunroom. Because there is a "bay" area in the kitchen nook that looks into the sunroom (its such a wierd floor plan), the lost square feet would be around 150-175. I think covered patios are lovely and we might actually use the space more. Right now, that green sofa you see in the picture is no-mans-land: just a big fancy bed for our dog. With our children leaving for college, we don't need the sunroom (it was a playroom for about 10 years and was great for that since I could see the children and the room is fairly bright) because we have so many functioning living areas, plus lots of bedrooms.

The lost square feet concerns me the most because of course that means that our house is smaller and worth less, at least on the books. People looking for a 3,000+ square foot house wouldn't see ours in the search if we convert the sunroom to a patio. However, we could start the landscaping closer to the house and expand the yard. On the other hand, I would consider this sort of remodeling investment one that will never pay off when we sell the house.
So the sunroom is a major ding on the house, but maybe I am missing something? Should we leave things as they are or get rid of the sunroom? Decorate the room, replace the door and call it a day? Or perhaps we should move? TIA for your replies. I really appreciate it.

It's raining today, so everything is grayer than usual. The interior windows in the first picture are in the master bedroom, as such, the master bedroom is very dark.

This picture shows the view of our backyard through the patio door. The patio is made up of lots of little rocks set in concrete. Tough to keep clean, but you will never ever slip on it.

Next is a picture from the patio looking at the wall of the sunroom from the outside. You can see the kitchen nook windows, plus the family room windows here. Lots and lots of windows, but most of them don't face the outdoors!

Finally, this is sort of what I mean by an under-roof line patio:

Thanks again!

Comments (18)