SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladygibbs

Farmhouse Renovation

ladygibbs
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It's happening guys! There are real life construction workers at my house!

Everyone has been so helpful so far with answering my plethora of questions. I'd love to keep everyone updated on our progress, so here is a thread to document the changes. Let's start with the before. (Shield your eyes, it's ugly!)

As you can see we have already redone most of the roof. (Not the ugly sun room roof) We have also replaced some of the windows. Inside we have already installed new plumbing, electric, insulation, and drywall on the lower floor. The house was originally a tear down that came "for free" with land we purchased. It even came with termites, junk left from the previous renters, and a 10 gallon water heater that only went to the shower. ;) We gutted and basically have redone the entire interior. The initial goal was to make the house livable. Now we are switching gears to make it pretty and more functional. Especially the exterior which is an eye sore.

The current renovation is:

• All new windows and siding
  • Repair sagging sill plate on east side
  • Replace flat roof
  • New front door
  • New furnace, AC, and duct work
  • Add 18' x 26' master suite and basement
  • Finish the upstairs (currently only roughed in and insulated)

Thanks for coming along on this journey with me!

Comments (328)

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Oh dang, I really like the round... But let me look for something a bit less feminine...

(I'm a flower junkie, but I totally understand not wanting to be too girly for the husband's sake, even though he'd ultimately let you pick, lol.)

I'll be back.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love floral. lol.

Okay.... These round mirrors are giving me heart eyes.

Give it to me straight. The bloom mirror below might be the prettiest mirror I've ever seen. Does it look nice, or is it too much? I kinda love it, but I think husband will have a melt down... Hmm.

I could have such pretty towels and decor....

• Related Discussions

Subfloor as Final Flooring? Feedback Requested

Q

Comments (31)
    The OP is aware that they are subfloors hence the original question. Most houses in certain parts of Texas are built close to the ground on a slab-on-grade with an integral shallow concrete perimeter foundation. This house has a pier & beam foundation where the house is raised above grade on beams supported by concrete or CMU dug piers or driven piles. This foundation system is usually more expensive than a slab but not when the soil is expansive clay, a common condition in Texas. In the 80's developers liked to use carpet and resilient flooring instead of hardwood finish flooring and these finishes required a subfloor and a layer of underlayment. Apparently that was the case in this house and the developer chose to use nominal 2x6 T&G decking instead of two thinner layers or a single 1 1/4" thick layer of plywood which might have also made it possible to use 24" o.c. or wider joist spacing. What we haven't been told is the elevation difference between the decking and any finished hardwood flooring in the house especially at the stairs. It might not even be possible to install finished wood flooring over the decking and still be able to align it with with other finish flooring in the house. Regardless of the appearance of the finished decking, it is important to avoid large transition strips where different materials meet. This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 13:00
    ...See More

Connecticut Shoreline Farmhouse Renovation

Q

Comments (0)
    I have enjoyed reading so many posts on these forums over the years and finally decided to post our own project for everyone. I know this is more of a question and answer forum but I have received many answers to questions here over the years and I thought our project could do the same for others. My wife and I are currently renovating an old farmhouse on the Connecticut shore that was in desperate need of some major TLC. We purchased the home in January 2015 and will be living here full time once the renovations are complete. Before I begin to post our upcoming progress updates on this forum I want to mention that I am a professional builder. This scale of reconstruction is not for the faint of heart. The Basement: Our home had been converted into a two family rental many years ago by the previous owners which meant that we needed to reconfigure the entire home to function as an updated single family residence. Old furnaces, water heaters, broken plumbing, and damaged duct work littered the basement. The tangled mess of wiring and temporary support columns was overwhelming. Every piece of old mechanical, electrical, and plumbing was removed to the scrap yard of deposited in the dumpster. Demolition began in the basement because I didn't feel safe moving demolition activities upstairs until the house had better support in the basement level. Our existing basement floors were a mix of dirt, concrete, and stone rubble with a total ceiling height of approximately 6 feet. We chose to dig up and lower the existing dirt floor by almost 2 feet to increase headroom in the space. Over the coarse of 8 days, five of us worked tirelessly shoveling, prying, and carrying 5 gallon buckets of material out of the basement. Lots of care was taken to temporarily support floor loads above while we worked our way around the basement. Eventually all that remained was an enormous pile of debris outside and a mine field of large round boulders in the basement floor that were too large to move and were taller than the future finished concrete floor height would allow. Lowering a dirt floor below the bottom of the existing foundation is risky business. We wanted the extra headroom and knew we would never get another chance to create more ceiling height if we didn't do it all at once. We had to be careful not to undermine the foundation and risk a collapse. In the old days, rubble foundations were not poured on concrete footings. They started by laying large stones at the base and eventually used smaller stones until they reached the desired top of basement wall height. To minimize the danger and risk a wall collapse after we lowered the floor, I poured a small steel reinforced curb wall in sections around the perimeter of the basement to hold back all of the exposed soil below the foundation stones.
    ...See More

New England Contemporary Farm House Kitchen Renovation Progress Thread

Q

Comments (48)
    My sister put in a lux vinyl. It looks like stone yet has that bit of give that a wood floor system provides. You can't tell from looking if it is stone or porcelain? I've heard that ceramic or stone can be hard on the back or legs when standing in the kitchen.
    ...See More

1908 Farm House Attic Renovation

Q

Comments (7)
    Hire an architect. And think of which room you want to give up downstairs for the stairs. And measure the clear space from the joists to the peak. If you don’t have around 102”, you wont have room for the internal framing and insulation overhead. You would need to tear off the roof and raise it. You might as well move as do that. Everyhing you touch has to meet today’s Modern building codes. From a big enough electrical panel to pr ovide thecright nunber if AFI circuits, to the HVAC requirements, to the rise and run of the stairs. If it wasn’t designed to be living space from the beginning, it won’t ever be cheap to make into living space now.
    ...See More
  • One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Give it to me straight. The bloom mirror below might be the prettiest mirror I've ever seen. Does it look nice, or is it too much? I kinda love it, but I think husband will have a melt down... Hmm.

You're totally asking the wrong person, lol!!! I just ADORE flowers, so of course, I'm gonna be an enabler and say, "Ooooooh, the bloom one!"

I've been trying to stay in the capiz family, though, lol. :-D

Can you use that bloom mirror somewhere else? It's really pretty.

But wait... Maybe we can keep the mirror and find capiz knobs/pulls...? I really want to repeat the capiz *somewhere*.

Edited to add: Sorry, I got carried away and temporarily forgot about the husband, lol.... Maybe show him your top 3 and have him pick?

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am temped to buy the dang mirror and put it somewhere else if he won't let me put it in the bathroom. lol. They also have a rectangle one that is even cheaper.

It's not capiz but it is mosaic... so sort of the same.

Closer Pictures

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I am betting on a melt down.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You are probably right Mark! lol.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

What about a hexagon mirror?

Tubular III Decorative Mirror, 33.5"x29" · More Info

GDF Studio Gerard Hexagonal Wall Mirror · More Info

I have to admit... Seeing all of the hexagons makes me want to add honeybees to create a bit of a garden feel.

Honey soap, honeycomb beeswax candles, bumblebee suncatcher/stained glass....

(All of which complement flowers nicely.)

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Husband says no way on most of the mirrors.... He said he hates round mirrors.

He does like the wood chevon one okay, but I am worried it is too big for the space. I might have to cut out a piece of cardboard and see how it fits.

He would be okay with a hexagon mirror, so maybe we will go that way. I think bee decor would be cute and the yellow/orange would certainly pop with the navy.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

I have a husband similar to yours -- Definitely a man who knows what he likes! :-D

You know what, though, sometimes the most satisfying designs come out of strict limitations. Your bathroom is gonna be so darn cute.

I was getting so excited about the bee theme; I was really hoping you'd go that direction! Honey shades of yellow, gold, and orange will all look great with the navy, like you said.

Looking forward to more pictures as it all fills out. :-D

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I keep going back to these knobs.

They are one of the few capiz knobs
    on the market, husband didn't hate, they are the right finish, and they
    have angles. Although they are octagon not hex. Thoughts?

I am imagining things like this:

I think it could be really cute. How much hex is too much though? lol.

• jturner2urf
    5 years ago
    Following
  • One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Miss Lady, that knob looks like a 3" Liberty pull I found yesterday, lol... I think you'd be good with those, even though they aren't hex -- they're still geometric. And capiz! :-)

I also found quite a few bee knobs (bee shaped as well as round), but I thought that might be a bit too whimsical for most folks, lol. Besides, I couldn't find any capiz bees, so I nixed 'em. :-/

I like that you're using more hexagons, especially since your shower has them. It seems (because it *is*) more well-thought out.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our appraisal came back and we got the exact number we needed! Woohoo!

We are free from deadlines except paperwork.

I haven't shown much of the original house, mostly because it has been the dump pile for all our tools and projects, and also because the furniture and decor is mostly hand me downs and mis-matched.

But here is a little sneak peek. I lovingly call my foyer the fox room.Here is one small wall between living and bedroom.

My desk built out of iron pipe. Still looking for a metal file cabinet to paint orange and replace the plastic one with.

Please excuse the dust. o.O That is only two days after a full ceiling to floor deep clean. I don't think I will ever get rid of it. This is also the place where the hardwood is in the worst shape. An old window was broken out for who knows how long before we purchased.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Our appraisal came back and we got the exact number we needed! Woohoo!

Yay!!!

I lovingly call my foyer the fox room.

Foxy! B-)

Love the fox art on the wall! I don't see a signature on the piece; did you or a friend/family member do it? It's cool.

• lyfia
    5 years ago

Congratulations on the appraisal! I bet that was a huge relief. Also thank you for sharing other photos. I love your desk. What a cool idea.

• Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    5 years ago

ladygibbs, I just spent a couple of days reading your saga. Impressive! I love your chandy over the tub and the navy walls. Wow.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

One Devoted Dame it was a pretty cheap piece purchased from a mall outlet store called Earthbound.

Paperwork is done and we are signing on our new mortgage next week.

The trim in the bedroom is all finished. The only thing missing is the closet door handles and the room is 100% complete.

We will be moving into our new room next week. How exciting!

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi. It's me again. I still can't decide on a mirror. lol.

I have been unable to find a large enough hexagon mirror in a silver color. How about this one? It's octagon, but at least it has angles and I feel like it doesn't crowd the wall as much as a rectangle mirror would.

I went ahead and ordered the capiz octagon knobs as well, so it would tie into those.

I haven't even started on decor/furniture for the bedroom. Ugh. So many choices to make.

• suzyqtexas
    5 years ago

I really like the mirror, the size and shape are just right

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

I think the octagon will be totally fine! It's not like anyone will be counting the sides of your shapes and going, "OhmyGOSH, what was she thinking, mixing octagons and hexagons?!?!?!"

And if you ever *do* get any comments on it, well then, no dessert for *that* guest. ;-)

I wanna see the bee(s), personally, lol.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sweet. Then I think I have finally picked a mirror both husband and I can agree on.

I'm still working on him with the bee decor. Ha.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

New problem.

My closet door pulls came today. I order oil rubbed bronze, the box clearly says oil rubbed bronze.... and the handles are brushed nickel.

Our master bathroom has brushed nickel hardware. For our bedroom we were going to go with oil rubbed bronze finishes to match the black ceiling fan, furniture and door handles.

Now I have to decide if I should send them back and wait about a week to get new ones, or I just keep and use the ones I got. The brushed nickel looks good on the black doors, I'm just not sure if it looks bad with the other choices.

Here is a picture of the closet door, the door handle, and the new pulls.

Should I...
    A.) Keep and use the brushed nickel pulls so I can move into my closet tonight as planned.
    B.) Return them and get the oil rubbed bronze pulls I actually ordered.

If we do keep the pulls then what finish do I use for my nightstand and dresser hardware? Is it okay to have some oil rubbed and some brushed nickel or should I try to keep them all cohesive?

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

B.) Return them and get the oil rubbed bronze pulls I actually ordered.

This is my vote, but I'm not the one *this close* to the finish line. ;-) I also like dark/black pulls/knobs on dark cabinetry for a more harmonious, layered look (instead of a contrast, jewelry look).

The 2 different wood stains you have going, between the door and the cabinet, really really need something (knobs/pulls) to tie them together.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you One Devoted Dame. That was my thought too. I am kinda of eh about the black wood grain with our wood trim. I am still hoping our black furniture will pull it together but we'll see. I think sticking with black/ORB finishes is best.

I contacted the seller and it turned out better than expected. They are letting me keep the current ones and they are also sending me another box of the correct ORB ones. So it looks like I will get to use these in the bathroom. (I needed to purchase some brushed nickel pulls anyway.)

It never ends though. As we were putting together our closet interiors we had a couple screws missing. Now I have to wait 7-10 days before my drawers will be done. Sigh. Oh well. We are going to move in what clothes we can and plan on moving the bed/furniture this weekend. Can't wait!

Mirror is ordered.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our ORB closet pulls are finally on. It is weird how orangey the black closet doors make the trim look. The trim is the same exact color as the bedroom door/other wall trim but especially in pictures this wall looks orange. Maybe it is the angle of the sunlight? Who knows. I still don't like it, but I'm not sure what other colors I could paint the doors. I have some gel door stain. I am temped to try it over the black inside the doors and see if it covers or tones down the black.

We are officially moved in and sleeping in our new bedroom. This new room is much more spacious, better air flow, cleaner, and has more light, I love it! Furniture is still our old stuff from high school days and I stole an end table from the livingroom for my nightstand. lol. We will live with it a while until I find a set I like.

Two steps forward ones back. The vanity pull screws are too short. Also the mirror arrived but it has the hangers in the wrong direction. (vertical hanging instead of horizontal) There is no way I can ship back such a large and breakable piece. Ugh.

UPDATE: I contacted Wayfair and they refunded half of my money. I will have to find a local welder to make the mirror usable.

• Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Following...
  • ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I need some help/opinions for furniture, art, and decor for the bedroom.

Any advice welcome. The black closet doors just continue to drive me crazy and I am going to test stain a spot on the back tonight and cross my fingers. (They are laminate not real wood.)

What color/style of furniture would fit the space best?

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

The black closet doors just continue to drive me crazy and [....] (They are
    laminate not real wood.)

How about painting them? To match your walls, maybe? Slap me if that's a terrible suggestion, lol.

As for decor, I like to design around the bed. Are you starting from scratch here, or do you already have a frame/headboard or quilt/set you'll be using?

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

So, Miss Lady, what did you do with those doors???

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still here plugging away.

The shower and sink are done. We have working plumbing. The tub apron still has to be framed (hopefully tonight) and we are still (ugh) waiting on a welder to tweak my mirror. After that the bathroom will be 100% complete. Can't really use it right now without a mirror.

For a total tile newbie I am happy with the way everything turned out. We definitely had/have some mirror issues but nothing that isn't livable. I think the pattern and corners are spot on. Lots of math and thinking to get all the pieces to align and not have slivers.

Capiz knobs tie nicely with the chandelier and the mirror. I will get a whole vanity shot once the mirror is hung.

Bedroom is a work in progress too. I purchased two dressers but found out they are not real wood like I was expecting. They are currently just sitting in the bedroom until I decide if I like them or if I'm going to find new ones.

We have went with a mountain/adventure/wilderness theme. We both love the outdoors and traveling so it fits us well. I don't mind the black closet doors anymore I think they ground the black bed.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We got the tub apron framed out and I'm dropping off the mirror at the welder today so we are soo close to being done. Already purchased a rug, shower curtain, and towels, but need to pick a curtain rod and soap dispenser/tooth brush holder.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I got to take a bath!! And it was glorious.

Now here are two photoshop mockups of some of the pieces I am considering for my bedroom. The dresser on the right is the dresser I purchased but I am unsure if I like it/will keep it. Again it looks more orangey that it really is. (must be the light of my pictures) I would switch out it's hardware for regular ORB bar pulls. It has a matching long dresser which would be used on the wall opposite the bed as a media center.

Two different choices. One with black nightstands and one with stained nightstands.

Thoughts? Does the rug go with the duvet?

I really like the simple lamps. They do have another color option which I like better but I am unsure if all the blues will match or if it will be too blue?

Spa Blue Color

We would have some art on the right wall as well but pieces to be determined. Nightstands are not picked either, just a generic simple choice for the mockups. I will probably build them myself.

Curtains are also an option but again not sure what color/style.

Help!?

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

I got to take a bath!! And it was glorious.

Yay!!! Oh, man, I love a nice hot soak.... <3

Two different choices. One with black nightstands and one with stained nightstands.

I like how the dark nightstands repeat the color of the closet door, and how your dresser pulls from the window trim.

Does the rug go with the duvet?

Yep. Geometric + Geometric = Win. Put some beige in the art to reflect the rug (if you don't already have some beige, and if your rug is, in fact, beige, lol).

I really like the simple lamps. They do have another color option which I like better but I am unsure if all the blues will match or if it will be too blue?

Blue and green are two colors that play so nicely with themselves... Seems you can throw together different hues, in a monochromatic scheme accenting with neutrals, and it all looks awesome. I really like your room as you've mocked it up here, and it's not even my style. :-D

Curtains are also an option but again not sure what color/style.

To visually maximize your windows, it's best to extend rods 8"-12" on each side of the window. I'm not sure you have the space. If you really want to do curtains, though (I looooove curtains), then I'd stick with simple white sheers. Will you be keeping the blinds/shades?

*I am not a pro, though, so take my opinion with a grain or a pound of salt, lol.*

ladygibbs thanked One Devoted Dame
  • ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you One Devoted Dame.

Funnily I got almost the exact opposite advice on my other thread specially about my master bedroom design choices...

They said the black nightstands were too dark and the rug did not match. Now I am super confused. lol.

I think looking at my space that curtains would be too squished so I think I will stick with the blinds. I hadn't even thought about much extra space you would need on each side of the window.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Funnily I got almost the exact opposite advice on my other thread specially about my master bedroom design choices...

If any of them are interior designers, listen to them and not me, lol.

I would be curious to know *why* they said what they said, if they gave any reasons! I always want to learn. :-)

They said the black nightstands were too dark and the rug did not match. Now I am super confused. lol.

Did they recommend another way to add black? The nightstands are small enough to compliment the closet door without being overwhelming. I also like how they fade into the background (they don't compete with your bed for attention).

What about the rug didn't they like? Was it the pattern? The color? On my monitor, the rug looks very, very light beige with beige lines, so it doesn't look strange to me. Did they recommend a powder/spa blue rug? I can see powder blue, too, in that space.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay now I am needing help with my master bathroom design choices....

Husband said no yellow or bees like i originally planned.
    I found a shower curtain and towels I liked that seems to look okay. They are listed as gray and aqua, so I have been searching and searching for aqua accessories to go along with it.

First I bought some cheap ones from Walmart. But they looked way too light blue not the more greenish or muted aqua I was hoping for. So then I purchased new ones online at about 4 times the price. They arrived today and honestly they are only the slightest hint more muted, not like their online picture at all. Now I am unsure what to do. Do the expensive ones look any better? Or do I need to return all of them and go a whole new direction. I really can't find anymore aqua ones. So if these look horrible then I will need to return the shower curtain and towels I like too unless I just go with white accessories or something neutral. Help!

Towels.

Both sets. New ones on right.

It is cloudy today so I'm having trouble capturing the true colors... But thoughts?

Here is the vanity during daytime hours.

I do like the iridescent shine on the top of the new ones. The curtain has some shine to it too, and I think it it picks up the capiz in the chandelier and the cabinet knobs.

Is it awful?

• lyfia
    5 years ago

From the pictures they both looks nice to me. I like the more expensive ones though as their shape is more unusual and the shine on the top is cool.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So you don't think the blues clash too badly then?

• lyfia
    5 years ago

I don't see clash in the pictures. They seem to be good accents to me and making it less matchy matchy.

BTW edited to say the reason I say I don't see it in the pictures is because each screen/monitor may make it look slightly different. That said I would think the colors would skew somewhat similar so I would think clashing would show up.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Green is my favorite "neutral." Blue is my second favorite "neutral." :-D Navy is *definitely* a neutral... Like a pair of jeans!

My kids' bath has navy, turquoise, and dark lime accent colors. It looks awesome together. In my opinion, you would know if something clashed... It would jump out at you and yell, "Um, NO!" Very, very, very hard to clash with shades of blue or green. Very, very, very easy to clash with shades of red or orange. :-D

The only thing I *personally* would change in your bathroom is the clear shower curtain (only because I dislike cleaning clear curtains, and I prefer a fabric look to a plastic one, lol). I'd go with navy or white.

How do you feel about "layering" your towels? Using the striped ones you currently have as accents, but putting white ones behind them on the towel bar/ring/counter?

Oh, and I like the square accessories better than the round, but only because of the glazing on the rim/top third of the pieces. Both sets look nice, as far as shape and color go, from what I see on my monitor.

:-D

Honestly, I think you have much more decor sense than confidence -- You make nice selections, absolutely nothing "awful." :-)

ladygibbs thanked One Devoted Dame
  • ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the vote of confidence. :) Blue and green are definitely my go-tos. My wardrobe is 95% blue/green. lol.

I'll be keeping the square ones. I like the shimmer on the top too.

I do have a cloth shower curtain already. I just didn't want to hang it until I was sure I was keeping the accessories. The curtain matches the towels. White, gray, and aqua striped. I've got it up now.

Husband said no white towels since we already use white for cleaning towels and we don't want to mix them up. Will probably go with either gray or aqua.

Everything is coming along swimmingly. For the bathroom I really just need to get the towel hooks/bars, toilet paper holder, etc.

I have so much storage in that linen cabinet I'm not even sure what i'm going to put in there. Ha.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Husband said no white towels since we already use white for cleaning
    towels and we don't want to mix them up. Will probably go with either
    gray or aqua.

Ooooh, do aqua!!! :-)

I have so much storage in that linen cabinet I'm not even sure what i'm going to put in there. Ha.

Isn't this one of the greatest "problems" in the world to have? lol It's like having too many flowers in a garden... Just not possible. :-D

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I did a thing...

I found a matching set of Kincaid Furniture nightstands for $50. The only thing wrong with them is they both have a little bit of paint peeled off on top, which is easy enough to fix. Otherwise they are perfect. It was a deal I couldn't pass up since Kincaid nightstands easily go for several hundred dollars a piece and these were the size I wanted. Sooo I guess we are going with black. lol.

Here is a picture of one of the dressers. They will work for now, but we will likely keep an eye out for new ones. Husband is liking the black furniture. But we are going to have to work on brightening up the space if we do get black dressers too.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Which color lamp? Keeping in mind this is the duvet I will be purchasing.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Are you planning on using the beige rug, upthread? If so, I'd get the white lamps and paint them beige (or whichever color is the rug's primary hue).

What do you think?

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well husband is saying no rug for now. He likes the bare floor...

So I'm not sure. The blue lamp gives better interest against the white window blinds, but I am worried it will be too much/many different blues once I get the duvet. Might wait and get the duvet first and then revisit.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

If you get the spa blue and it doesn't look quite right, you can always paint over it. :-)

My husband is a no-rug kind of guy, so I'm completely rugless, much to my dismay, lol. Rugs always seem to finish a space, you know?

• Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    5 years ago

I like the blue lamp, even if you do get the beige rug. That's assuming it's actually a buer shade rather than a greenish blue, Then I think the blues wouldn't really go together. Hard to tell from the photo on my pc.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow. I can't believe it has been so long since I've posted.

We are still chugging along. Husband got a new job and works 7 days a week and nights, so progress has been much slower. We still love our new master suite. It has really increased our quality of life tenfold. We call it our oasis. :)

We ended up going with light blue lamps and I'm still not 100% on them. I've purchased and returned multiple lamp shades that didn't look right. We just got a new set yesterday and I'm trying them out. I think/hope they might be keepers, but I'm still deciding.

We've been picking away at the trim throughout the house. It's very time consuming to cut, sand, stain, hang, and poly every piece. But I am happy to report we are sooo close to being done for now. We are actually having an open house party this month, so we are really really trying to finish most of the projects up.

That of course doesn't account for the major kitchen remodel, and the new duct work and floors we would like in the original house. Those large projects will be several years down the road.

Right now we are focusing on the new hallway. After unsuccessfully looking online for weeks to find a statement piece of furniture I decided to design and build a narrow shelf myself. I LOVE it. It matches and fits perfectly, and it so simple. Just our style. Plain. lol. Yesterday we went shopping and got some decor for it. The room is so small but it's fun to see something finished and styled. I can't wait to go room by room and pick out furniture and decor we actually like rather than hand me downs.

I will try to get some pictures soon.

• ladygibbs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A couple pictures of the hallway shelf.

It's not all finished. We have a ton more pictures to print and hang around the map. We are covering the walls of the hallway in basically a frame collage of husband's amateur landscape photography and pictures of our vacations.

Shelf is super simple but I custom ordered metal U legs for it, and they look really nice with my pipe/wood industrial desk a few feet away. On top is a bottle of sand from the desert and a yellow rock from the Yellowstone area.