Anything emerging yet where you are?

WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

We've had some warm temps recently and I've been looking closely for signs of life in the garden. I've got a number of things that have had some green on them all winter -- a couple of Heuchera species, Penn sedge, golden ragwort, prairie pussytoes (if you look under the grayish top growth) -- but nothing truly emergent yet. I have some pics from March 5 last year of bloodroot, shooting star, bluebells starting to come up. Curious to see whether they will be earlier or later this year.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have been weeding grasses like crazy in my cactus garden. They are everywhere. Some winter wheat grasses are realy growing . The Texas Praie partly is sprouting out both new seedlings and returned ones. I think that I willl move these around, and put some in some 4" pots for sharing with friends.

I passed by the patch of damienita and they are slowly getting green tips and smelling very pungent. It took years for the seeds t of the Texas Prairie parsley to sprout, or to get the right conditions for sprouting.

I am seeing bluebonnets, Delphinium carolinianum, and Gailardia rosettes. I am seeing buds on the Texas Mountain Laurel.

1 Like Save    
Campanula UK Z8

Obviously, bulbs and tubers but aconitum, lunaria, hellebores, ox-eye daisies, poppies are perking up.

1 Like Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Greek wind flowers, jonquil, 4 nerve daisy, sugar snaps and my darn greens are bolting.

Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

I've had to have the A/C on in the truck a couple times. 80° here in Denver a couple weeks ago, shattering the record by ten degrees and several other days have seen record breakers as well.

Did some clean up around the gardens yesterday when it was at around 70°. All the penstemons are fully awake, agastaches have a couple inches of new groth, irises are getting green and monarda is putting out runners. On the West Slope all the fruit growers are bracing themselves for a crop failure. Warm temperatures in February prompts budding and flowering with two and a half months of winter left.

Tomorrow the weather is making a dramatic shift, from lows only going down to the 40's to a low of 13 tomorrow night. I hope it also brings in enough snow with it to cover the new growth I found yesterday, and also to deliver some much needed moisture, we're under a red flag warning and have seen several grass and brush fires pop up here on the Front Range. Definately been a winter for people who dont like winter around here.

1 Like Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

I've got the usual early stuff emerging now -- bluebells (Mertensia virginica) and midland shooting star (Dodecatheon meadia), but they are probably 10-14 days ahead of last year:

I spoke with my meteorologist neighbor just now. She says tree pollens, especially juniper and elm, are spiking a good 3-4 weeks early. Looks like flower buds on my Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler' too:

1 Like Save    
Louis Napier

echinacea purpurea, chelone obliqua, hydrophyllum, podophyllum, phlox divaricatus , monarda didyma&fistullosa

Silene vulgaris, dicentra eximia, tradescantia ohiensis, lobeliacardinalis & siphilitica to name a few

1 Like Save    
Louis Napier

Erythronium americanum yesterday

1 Like Save    
sam_md

I'm calling this Silene caroliniana, what would you call it? I'm in Maryland.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Exteriors Home Noir: Black Exteriors Emerge From the Shadows
People are darkening their doorsteps more and more around the U.S. — but is the trend a bright idea?
Full Story
Disaster Prep & Recovery Houzz Tour: Modern Farmhouse Emerges From Hurricane Sandy Devastation
A homeowner loses her cottage but gains a new energy-efficient, low-maintenance home
Full Story
Decorating Guides My Houzz: Light Emerges in a Dark Victorian House
A designer freshens up her family’s period home by opening rooms to sunlight and decorating it in light, bright colors
Full Story