SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Fort Worth spring swap Saturday April 8th Forest Park

sylviatexas1
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Forest Park is directly in front of the Fort Worth Zoo on South University, a few blocks south of I-30. We could not get Trinity Park this year because there is a race or rally or other high traffic event every weekend during the month of April. We start around 9 and are usually finished by noon or so. In addition to whatever you have to swap, you might want to bring folding tables and chairs, bottled water, notebook, pens Etc. Wear comfy clothes and you might want to bring a hat and maybe a light sweater or jacket just in case the weather turns on us LOL. We usually bring some snacks or soft drinks or bottled water to share.

Comments (117)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will put signs up.

• darlenegalindo
    7 years ago

Yes, that's it. The little train depot is on the left side when you turn in. Auggie and I took the train after that one plant swap years ago. There was no way I could get out of it. LOL.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Forest Park Fort Worth swap / trade ?

Q

Comments (41)
    I HOPE that at least some of you can catch this. Sorry I'm so late getting it on the list. If things go well, and I make it to the swap by noon, I will have the following: For Barb -- white datura plants For Cathy C.-- Old Blush + another of her choice Roses: 1 pink mini; 1 red cascade; 1 Chrysler Imperial; 1 Paul Neyron; 1 Monsieur Tillier; 1 Sea Foam; 1 Kordes Perfecta; 1 ? lost the tag; 1 runt Belinda's Dream. Veggie: Heirloom Tomatoes; a few basil, 2 broccoli (all these are small) Flowers: 4 Tx Heritage hollyhocks; 2 lemon balm; 3 yellow columbine; about 6 Tiger eye marigold; lots more datura; 3 cosmos; 5 catchfly WHAT I'D LIKE TO TRADE FOR: Probably not much, could use horse manure, potting soil, 6" and gal. pots. OR if someone has a nice big urn shaped pot. could use time, space and patience. Hope to see you there
    ...See More

Fort Worth Autumn swap Forest Park October 21st 2017

Q

Comments (24)
    Seems like everyone is very busy, so autumn swap is cancelled. I will be at Brown childs Park on Farley Street just south of 287 bypass in Waxahachie on the 14th, was some of the things I already have potted up, hope I won't have to care for them all winter long LOL.
    ...See More

Fort Worth spring swap Saturday April 20th 2019 Forest Park

Q

Comments (8)
    I had just taken my succulents out of the garage LOL. Have to put them back in tomorrow, and the garden looks either festive or like a hobo camp, depending on your point of view, with all the different colors of garage sale blankets over everything else! I have been potting up some of my famous lemon mint and some blue heartleaf skullcap, which is a wonderful butterfly plant. It seeds itself, it has beautiful blue flowers and silvery foliage, once established it cannot be killed, and it grows to about 3 feet high.
    ...See More

Fort Worth spring swap April 18th, 2020 Forest Park

Q

Comments (12)
    I plan to come this year and bring a new friend, my co-worker's mom. Sylvia, I have an abundance of manfreda that thrives in sunny, hot locations. I'll bring some for you. I also have some agave protoamericana pups that like the same conditions. I think that they top out at around 4X4. I have a nice patch of the comfrey that you shared with me some years back. Pretty blue flowers!
    ...See More
  • tejas_ruthie
    7 years ago

@sylvia yes, iris bulbs. I got some 2 years ago. They are so hardy, bright purple, just gorgeous. I just have to plant them where the bunnies don't get them, which is easy enough.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

I'll be bringing the landscape amaryllis and red lycoris too Ruthie if you want some.

• tejas_ruthie
    7 years ago

Hi @PK, those are gorgeous, but I won't be there in person so that is my challenge. Only if it's convenient for you, I can meet you in Granbury or Glen Rose but if it's not then I'll have to pass. This remodel project has overtaken our weekends.

• seamommy
    7 years ago

I'm gonna try to make it this year. Been ages since I've seen y'all! I might just have seeds, cause Ive been filling in my yard a lot this year.

Are we in the pavilion?

• Lav Kon
    7 years ago

Hi all, I am new to gardening, started with planting roses last year and would like to add perennials this year. I am in the Dallas area and plan to make the drive to the ft.worth for plant swap. I have lambs ear, coreopsis, garden mums in pink color. Also have seeds of holy basil, super prolific lemon cucumber, spineless okra, cilantro, fenugreek. would any of you be interested in any of the above ? Would you be willing to swap any of your perennials ? Would love to get irises, day lily, cannas or any other perennials to add to my almost new garden.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Tejas_Ruthie, My hubby works in Granbury. I'll set aside a pot of both and we'll figure out a time for you to meet him. How does that sound? We were just in Glen Rose a couple of weekends ago for a benefit fun run.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Lav Kon, I am bringing Louisiana irises and can bring canna. I have tall (5-6 foot) orange grandiflora type, short (under 3 foot) yellow grandiflora type and tall (5-6 foot) reddish-orange indica type canna. Tell me what you want. I'd like to try a coreopsis please.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Welcome, Lav Kon! I would be happy to share my perennials with you in exchange for vegetable seeds, especially lemon cucumber seeds. I had those years ago and they were wonderful! I have tons of old-fashioned irises, I think I have a few daylilies, definitely Lamb's ears, obedient plant, blue heartleaf Skullcap, and probably some other things and I'm not remembering right now lol. I look forward to seeing you at the swap.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pam if you wouldn't mind transporting some irises 2 Ruthie, I'll bring the box to the swap.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cheryl we are south of 30 this time. We are directly in front of the zoo, in the area to the right as you Head East on the little path. I will put some signs up when I arrive.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Sylvia, that is doable. I'm sure that Jeff won't mind as long as they will fit in the truck cab with his tools. So not a giant box please.

• darlenegalindo
    7 years ago

Lav Kon, I will have several things to share with you if you are interested. I have a variegated canna that you can have. I would love some of your cucumber seeds if you have enough to go around. If not, okra would work as well. Thanks.

• Lav Kon
    7 years ago

darlenegalindo- Thanks, I have ample lemon cuke seeds and okra seeds for you too.

Sylvia - Thanks, I would love to get any of the bearded irises that you may have. I looked up the crimson king you mentioned. What a pretty color it is :). I have packaged up the cucumber seeds for you.

Pkponder- I have a very sunny west facing backyard, Louisiana Irishes may not be the right fit for me ? If you by any chance have more of the red lycoris/ amaryllis left, could you save some. if you are of out of those, I will take anything else you may have. Have the coreopsis potted. Thanks

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Lav Con, done! I do have pots of lycoris and amaryllis that I'll set aside for you. The Louisiana Iris that I grow are in my western exposure. I am bringing them and you can decide later. Did you want cannas? They grow for me right behind the iris (and in shadier areas as well). I would need to dig them as I didn't plan on bringing any without an expressed interest. The regular swappers are bored with my canna :-)

• Lav Kon
    7 years ago

@PKponder- thanks much for being so generous. If you have plenty and its not a hassle to dig it up, please bring it along. If you have ideas on how to companion plant /combinations that worked for you, please share.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Lav Kon, It won't take me long to dig canna, the roots aren't deep. I'll bring a variety and yes, I have plenty as will you next year :-)

• darlenegalindo
    7 years ago

PK, what color are your amaryllis? I might want one if you have any left. LOL. Hopefully I will have something that interests you. Thanks!

• ruthz
    7 years ago

I'm not sure yet if I will make it to the swap tomorrow. I don't have much to bring, but in case I do I wanted to see if these are on anyone's want list.

There is a plant swap in Euless on the 22nd that I would take these to if I don't bring to Fort Worth.

I could dig some pink turk's cap in the morning. It would not be potted up, just in water.

1 - Mango from seeds a lady in Florida sent me. Seeds were planted in August 2016.

She sent two different kinds but I can only find one label. It says banana mango. I don't remember what the other one was. The other name is Kent. Found it on messages we exchanged.

2 named single pink brugmansia's

1 rooted cutting of a named double peachy color brugmansia

1 white morning glory bush

3 rooted cuttings of dragon wing red begonia

Longevity spinach cuttings (original plant from Baker Creek Seeds if you want to google it)

• tejas_ruthie
    7 years ago

@PK and @Sylvia, thank you so much for being so kind! @PK I messaged to you my cell phone number and a few other details. I will be thinking of you guys tomorrow! Have fun!

• lindabuchanan13
    7 years ago

Ruth, I would love to have one of your pink brugs. Hope you can make it tomorrow. Let me know if you want anything that I listed.

• ruthz
    7 years ago

Linda, I have Velvet Rose and Cherry Slush. Do you have a preference?

• darlenegalindo
    7 years ago

Ruth, I would be interested in your Mango plant. Are you looking for anything in particular? Thanks!

• lindabuchanan13
    7 years ago

Ruth, both are beautiful. I'll say the Velvet Rose but doesn't really matter.

• Shan G.
    7 years ago

Hi, Sylvia. I'm sorry for not getting on the boards recently but I've been swamped at work. I can't make the swap tomorrow (have to go in and finish a project I'm working on.) but let me know if you could meet up to get seedlings from me later? I have plenty of tomato varieties and my mom only took 2 plants of the 15 or so I've started.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Here's my list and I'm bringing turkey and pepperjack wraps for a snack, probably some bottled water too.

Sylvia
    John Fanick Plox
    Black Gamecock iris (I hope they are true BG, they grow together but I think the short ones are the true BG)

Linda
    Hidden Ginger
    12 Red Lycoris

Darlene
    Amaryllis or 2
    Black Gamecock iris (same disclaimer as above, they are all mixed together, the real BG and their untrue seedlings)

Lav Kon
    Pot each of red Lycoris and Amaryllis
    short yellow canna and tall reddish orange canna
    maybe some Louisiana Iris if you want.

Who had the Armenian cucumbers? I would love either a few seeds or a seedling.

Up for grabs:
    2-3 Amaryllis
    6 Blue Greggs Mistflower
    5 Lyre Leaf Sage
    assorted pinkish purple Louisiana Iris that are from the black gamecock seeds (they just planted themselves)

Ruthz, I would love to try your longevity spinach if I have something that you might want.

See you folks around 10 tomorrow.

My friend David is coming as well as a lady named Jean that is getting some earthworms from me. It's Jean's first swap!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just got the car loaded! If anyone needs me you can call or text 214-980-5496, just not tonight!.

I'm planning on getting there at 9 o'clock, and I will place a sign at the curb directing everybody to the site.

Shan I hate it that you aren't going to be able to make it, but we'll get together later, thanks.

I did have a list at one time; it may be packed up under all that stuff in the car.

I know I have purple things for Darlene LOL.

Up for grabs Lamb's Ears, tall Mexican petunia, obedient plant, comfrey, giant pots for trees, pigeon Berry, quite a few irises, Goldenrod, mother of millions, donkey ears, a bog plant that I think maybe Arrowhead.

I'm bringing a tray with pickles olives cheese etc.

I'm excited to see everybody again, and I'm really looking forward to the swap.

• Shan G.
    7 years ago

Sounds good, Sylvia. I'll also have bell pepper and possibly some lettuce for you. Remind me what part of the Metroplex you're in and we can figure out when to meet.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Got up at 6 don't know what happened LOL. I am just now leaving Waxahachie, will be there as soon as I can.

• junegreen
    7 years ago

To Ruth, you mentioned a swap in euless, is that an annual affair? I would be interested as it would be close enough for me to drive.

• ruthz
    7 years ago

junegreen, I saw it on City of Euless website. Apparently they have had it before, but I haven't been to one.

Plant Swap

April 22, 2017, 9 - 11 a.m.
    Parks Greenhouse, 1997-C South Pipeline Rd.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

Fun swap ladies! I love all of the plants that I came home with!

• ruthz
    7 years ago

Yes it was fun.

How to pronounce Houzz came up at the swap today. Researched and found this on one of the forums and thought I would share. I've been saying house. I'll have to get used to saying hows.

It is pronounced "howz" like in hows it going. See employees of the company in the following clip at 0:25 and at 0:39 say it this way. Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCpTvLOi3kI

• Jean Kievlan
    7 years ago

I had a great time as well, so nice to meet Pam and the other ladies and gentlemen there. I set up a Facebook group for us Fort Worth and Tarrant County Plant Swap and would encourage everyone to join. It's just another way to keep in touch. Here is the link to the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/258034811326401/

It is a closed group (that way we keep it to just people in Ft. Worth and Tarrant Cty, no one else on Facebook can see it). Just ask to join and I will approve you! Again, thanks everyone, looking forward to more plant and gardening fun with ya'll!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

I had a great time meeting you too Jean! I'm glad that you joined us at the swap. I sent a request to join the Facebook group.

• Phil S.
    7 years ago

Sorry I didn't make it this time. There was a bit of miscommunication between me and my wife. Since I lost the greenhouse and originally wasn't going to go she made a bunch of appointments today. So when I got up this morning and started packing the car, she was like "what are you doing?" So, I got to babysit this morning and afternoon.

Will look forward to attending the fall one though!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wish we had gotten to see you Phil, but we look forward to Autumn.

• darlenegalindo
    7 years ago

Had a great time as usual! Thanks Sylvia for setting it up. I got a lot of stuff planted when I got home. Thanks everyone for the plants. Enjoyed seeing everyone. Can't wait for the fall swap.

• Lav Kon
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful plants. Just finished planting them. I look forward to meeting you again in fall.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

I am so glad that you were pleased with the plants! I am loving my coreopsis. I'll get a picture after they settle into their pot :-)

• Shan G.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@ jean-kievlan I sent a request to join the Facebook page but I was never added. Can you approve my request? Thanks!

• Shana Worrall Mida
    6 years ago

I also just sent a request :)

• ruthz
    6 years ago

Shan, Jean set this up so members could add, so I added you today.

• darlenegalindo
    6 years ago

I wanna join! What is the name of the group on Facebook? Thanks!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Darlene, the group is named Fort Worth and Tarrant County Plant Swap.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/258034811326401/members/

• tejas_ruthie
    6 years ago

I just clicked to join the FB group! Thank you for setting it up! @ jean-kievlan

• Jean Kievlan
    6 years ago

No problem! Hopefully we can get some members to be posting on garden projects they are working on, would love to share photos and chat. @PKPonder, I need to take pics of the canna you gave me! So happy with them, they grew like crazy this simmer & were great for the problem area. Thanks again!

• Shan G.
    6 years ago

Thanks for the add! I'll try to post some photos of my plant swap successes this weekend.

• darlenegalindo
    6 years ago

Thanks PK. I just sent a request to join.