SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amydyoung48

Has anyone had any experience with the Pottery Barn Performance fabric

Amy
7 years ago
I am considering a slipcovered couch in the light grey basketweave performance fabric, as I've heard they wash better than the sunbrella fabrics. I need something that washes well!
I am open to other brands/ suggestions!

Comments (595)

• Ruth Triglia
    11 months ago

Follow up to my ash stain. We applied Imperial Dry Cleaning Solvent today to a clean white rag and blotted the ash stains had to reapply a few times, but virtually gone. Fingers crossed won’t attract more dirt to that spot. Does not seem sticky at all.

• Barbara Fulgaro
    10 months ago

Can someone tell me if the Ivory Sunbrella material is too yellowish in color. I should have requested fabric swatches but did not, I wanted something more like cream.

• Related Discussions

Has anyone used the performance fabric called Inside Out?

Q

Comments (15)
    Inside Out is a maker of Performance Fabric, there are many content lines within the brand. The wearability is determined by the rub value, not the brand (this applies to any manufacturer). All man-made fabrics will pill over time. The rub value varies and that determines when you will see that wear begin to occur. Cheap fabrics are 100% Polyester, and we all know that pills as it ages. The more natural fiber content as a rule, the less the pilling. However natural fibers tend to be more costly than synthetics. Performance fabrics do not necessarily last longer, that's a myth. They are basically like having a Scotchguarded fabric except that instead of being topically applied, the chemicals are infused in the fabric during the production of the materia;. They are easy to clean, and in the case of SunBrella they have a UV inhibitor added. Durability is altogether different. Duane Collie
    ...See More

Pottery Barn Sunbrella Performance Boss Herringbone

Q

Comments (9)
    @J Mc_2 I ended up getting the Townsend in Sunbrella Performance Chenille. I've had the sofa for about 4 months now and I'm happy with it so far. I did initially think the fabric wasn't quite as soft as I had hoped but it's softening with wear.
    ...See More

Pottery Barn fabrics: Premium Performance Basketweave vs Performance

Q

Comments (4)
    We actually saw a new fabric this weekend….performance midland tweed in stone i ordered a yard of it ….its such a big investment that i figured $40 for a larger sample was worth it. It is no as soft as the heathered basket weave but i really like the colors in the tweed.
    ...See More

Pottery Barn “Textured Weave” and “Performance Textured Loop.”

Q

Comments (1)
    I am planning to get the slipcovered sofa
    ...See More
  • harpua728
    10 months ago

@ Cee Pee What was the issue you had with the Premium Performance Basketweave in Ivory? We loved the look. Rich, with subtle texture. However, the low rub count (when compared to their other fabrics) is scaring us away. Thinking about going with the Performance Heathered Basketweave instead. This is for a sectional sofa. Thanks.

• gradyfamily
    10 months ago

Wow. I’m so surprised that pottery barn did not cover the “piling” issues ! I’m thinking about several styles but am going to try and read more reviews. Keep the comments coming !!

• Rita A
    10 months ago

@Dana Ostrenga I’m thinking to buy a same sectional bed. you said you have for 7 years, any bed experience? thnk you

• Rita A
    10 months ago

• Rita A
    10 months ago

After two weeks i bought from PB . it was touching the wall thats why happened, fragile fabric. Performance Brushed Basketweave Oatmeal. they are replacing to a new one, any recomendation pleplease? i like soft but trong fabric to dont happened again

• la_la Girl
    10 months ago

I had so many customer service issues with my sofa order I ended up canceling it - bought 2 sofas (one velvet and one leather) from Cococo Home out of NC - Only thing i will ever buy from PB is throw pillow covers

• M L
    9 months ago

Has anyone had any experience with their Performance Midland Tweed fabric? I am torn between that and the Performance Heathered Tweed for a new sofa, but I have the Heathered Tweed on another piece of furniture and there is some minor pilling even with infrequent use. This sofa will have heavier traffic. I'm also considering the Performance Heathered Basketweave, but my concern there is that even on my small sample, there are always loose threads...

• ckaiser081384 .
    9 months ago

I’m ordered the jake sofa in perdormance hesther tweed- it in fact does pill. it cleans up atains well however

• Rebecca D.
    8 months ago

Hello,

Has anybody ordered a sofa in the Premium Performance Basketweave in Ivory? Very curious to hear how it is holding up!!

• Lauren Assumma
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Supposed to order two slipcovered york sofas in Performance Heathered Tweed in ivory tomorrow. Should i move forward with this fabric? Does it pill, stain, etc?

• Barbara Fulgaro
    7 months ago

I ordered the Sunbrella Sahara Weave performance fabric in Ivory, and I am very happy with it so far. My sister has the performance boucle and it definitely pills.

• ckaiser081384 .
    7 months ago

@lauren my performance heather tweed in pebble pills. i ordered it on the jake sectional. i use a fsbric shaver on it periodicallg. it does wipe down easy however

• Lauren Assumma
    7 months ago

@ckaiser so youre able to get the pilling off with no issues? As long as it can be removed im good with that

• Jen M
    7 months ago

Hi @Adrienne Varady, I love your couches! I am ready to pull the trigger on two slipcovered York slope arm sofas but have been going crazy trying to pick out a fabric. I'm between Performance Heathered Basketweave in Ivory or Alabaster White and Performance Everyday Linen in Ivory. I have a little one with another on the way so I feel crazy going this light but am hoping they are easy to clean! Can you share how yours have been holding up? Do you find they are easy to clean/maintain? Any pilling? Thanks!!

• Adrienne Varady
    7 months ago

Hi Jen M,
    I couldn’t be happier with my couch and fabric choice! I was nervous to get white couches with three kids, but they are great. They are the perfect neutral/warm white color I wanted and very easy to clean. In fact my daughter spilled a red berry smoothie on the couch a couple of weeks ago 😳 and when I wiped it with a wet wash cloth, it came right off. No stain! 🙌🏽

• Adrienne Varady
    7 months ago

Also, the couches haven’t pilled at all. I’m so glad!

• Jen M
    7 months ago

@Adrienne Varady Thank you so much for responding - that is great to hear!! I'm going to go for it and do the Perf Heathered Basketweave in Ivory - it is just absolutely stunning and you're couches sold me on it. Thanks again!

• Lauren Assumma
    7 months ago

@Adrienne Varady which fabric did you do?

• ckaiser081384 .
    7 months ago

@lauren yes the fabric shaver does a good job and i feel like the pilling has become less frequent so maybe its just an initial issue. i do worry about shaving too much as it might degrade the fabric

• ckaiser081384 .
    7 months ago

This is the jake sofa in the performance heathered tweed (pebble color) filling could be better quality in pillows, i feel like i hear a crack every time i sit on the sofa part.Pilling on fabric. going forward i will probably buy Arhaus sofas

• Adrienne Varady
    7 months ago

Hi,
    @Lauren- I ordered the Performance Heathered Basketweave Ivory and they are a warm white and don’t pull yellow. I love them!

• harpua728
    7 months ago

@Adrienne Varady

we ordered the same do you have trouble keeping it clean?

• D Iantorno
    7 months ago

Has anyone tried performance twill? warm white

• K H
    7 months ago

@hollin1 How is the Carmel holding up?

• HU-360707438
    7 months ago

I am considering getting a couch in basketweave slub oatmeal but am concerned because it isn't the performance quality. Has anyone gotten a sofa in the basketweave slub and if so, how has it held up and how does it do in terms of stains?

• HU-588313423
    7 months ago

Received 2 sofas in the Ivory cozy chenille in March, and had horrible pilling. Cleanability was OK. Due to the pilling and an unrelated issue with a popped staple on one side, PB agreed to a return and have issued merchandise credit.

• Ruth Triglia
    7 months ago

Glad they took care of you. We have the same fabric, a few months now, and no pilling.

• mcox0102
    6 months ago

Has anyone had the performance everyday velvet? considering it in fern.

• harpua728
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

@ Adrienne Varady

we ordered a sofa also in performance heathered basketweave ivory. Do you have trouble keeping it clean?

• harpua728
    6 months ago

We have a sofa in performance heathered basketweave - ivory. The fabric is nice and it hasn't pilled yet, but it does "catch" dirt and debris within it's weaves so I'm scared that something could snag on it and cause an issue. The worst problem that I am having is keeping the ivory (which is much whiter than the online picture) clean, especially at the corners and edges. As an everyday sofa, I think it is going to look old quickly. Does anyone have the performance heathered basketweave in Navy? I would love to see a picture of how that looks.

• mspolver
    6 months ago

Does anyone have Performance Midland Tweed? I'm considering it in Oatmeal, and I can't find any reviews of this fabric anywhere. Would love to know about quailty and durability... if it pills or gets dirty, etc. Thank you in advance for input!!

• HU-752254746
    6 months ago

Do cats scratch on the PB Performance Slub Weave?

• HU-752254746
    6 months ago

Exactly my question. Every cat we had tore up our sofas for years. 20 years ago we switched to buying furniture covered only by Ultrasuede and have never again had problems with cats sharpening their claws on our sofas. Not enough resistance, I guess. While we like one of Pottery Barn's sofas, it offers Ultrasuede in very few colors, none of which we like. The PB Performance Slub Weave fabric comes in the perfect color, and we like the texture -- but we're worried that cats will, too. The fabric offers a lot of temptation for them to tear up/seriously snag the fabric, given all those little "toeholds" to be had.

Has anyone had experience with this fabric and cats??

• A Kidd
    6 months ago

Has anyone who has ordered “Performance Heathered Basketweave” experienced pilling?

Considering ordering the PB Comfort Roll Arm in that fabric.

Photo is of a small swatch in “Oatmeal”.

Thank you in advance!

• harpua728
    6 months ago

I have the Performace Heathered Basketweave in Ivory is seems very resistant to pilling. See my additional comments below.

• A Kidd
    6 months ago

@harpua728, thank you!

• Megan Rhey
    5 months ago

Reading all these reviews of PB fabrics has been so helpful! While chatting with a PB rep, she suggested that the Performance Boucle fabric would be the best (out of the fabric options I gave her) for a household with pets and kids. Has anyone had any experience/problems with the Performance Boucle fabric?

Also, we are looking at the Tyler Recliner, color Pebble. Pebble looks like it would work well with warm/beige/cream decor OR cooler/gray/black decor. I would really like to order soon (so I don't want to wait for a sample swatch to be delivered). Any thoughts on the color Pebble?

• Ruth Triglia
    5 months ago

I highly suggest you wait for swatches. Even with them, it is challenging, but relying on other’s opinions is so subjective and could be very disappointing for such an expensive purchase. If possible, see if you can ‘borrow’ the larger swatches for a day.

• Leslie Morton
    5 months ago

@Megan Rhey, We have a couch in the Performance Boucle. We've had it for over a year with no problems whatsoever. We have a cat who sometimes stretches on it and gets her claws stuck. It sometimes snags it a bit, but my husband cleans it up with a fabric shaver and good as new. We have the ivory so can't speak to the Pebble color, but the ivory has held up very well. Our grandson got a little blood on it, and it cleaned up very easily with a dab of Woolite on a barely moist washcloth. No pilling and is wearing nicely.

• C&N
    3 months ago

We are considering heathered chenille white for a slip covered sofa from PB does anyone have experience with this particular fabric it's not a performance fabric?

• Christian Decor
    3 months ago

Wow? this stuff looks like it’s made of kryptonite!

• Anne Smith
    3 months ago

I’ve had the performance everyday velvet for 8 years now. The cushions look new when I wash them! (And I think they are supposed to be dry clean only) The arms and piping get pretty dirty, but my upholstery cleaner takes care of the arms and back. I have 7 children and my sofas are right up against the dining table, so they get abused. I'm moving these to the basement and replacing the sofas. Does anyone have experience with the charcoal regular heathered chenille? Or performance heathered basketweave?

• dhusband
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I have looked for reviews everywhere!! I really wanted to find a review before making my choice, but most of them were geared towards the York Slipcovered sofa. I chose the 95" York Slope Arm Deep Seat Upholstered sofa with the Performance Everyday Velvet. I was caught between that and leather. I bought it to replace an 11 year old Bernhardt leather sofa and I decided to try something different. Delivery was speedy. I received it in 4 weeks! I love the depth of the seats both with and without the lumbar cushions, but the lumbar cushions are nicely supportive. I have already accidentally "spill tested" the fabric when I tripped and dropped a hot chocolate chip cookie on it. A damp white cloth made melted chocolate completely disappear (thank goodness)! The Everyday Velvet fabric is super soft, and the cushions are comfortable so far. I know that they'll become even more comfortable as they're broken in...especially given that they're down. It's definitely a departure from what I'm used to, but it looks beautiful and I'm happy with my choice. I'll definitely come back in a few months to give an updated review as there seem to be almost none that speak specifically to this fabric.

• dippitydoppitydoo
    2 months ago

This is performance midland tweed oatmeal, it is lighter than some of the other oatmeal fabrics, something between ivory and beige. The background is a warm bright white. Beautiful, and it is a performance fabric that it says can be machine washed in cold/bleached (if slipcovered). I recommend upgrading to the down material if you’re not allergic btw. I didn’t do that and I have this feeling things are going to deflate in a few years. You can fluff feathers, but not the poly fill so much. I cannot say how anything is going to hold up as it’s new and I keep my furniture covered usually- young kids.

My slipcovered sofa was originally in the performance heathered tweed, but the slipcover came out frumpy (amongst another issue) and they agreed to exchange it (unofficially so far) and am waiting for things to be fully resolved. It feels nice, but with others posting with the pilling etc, it’s probably best to avoid unless you are ok with grooming it. I’m just going to probably match the chair I have.

I also would avoid the performance slub weave. I saw the mocha in store and it looks beautiful far away (and in the pic I took), but it looked like the fabric was pilling or shedding idk, just looked like it was aging horribly. I’m surprised they had it in the showroom. Well, at least they weren’t hiding what it turns into.

• M L
    2 months ago

@mspolver I ended up ordering the Midland Tweed in Stone and the pilling was out of control within 2 months. Perhaps it would not be as noticeable in a lighter color, though. I have had to contact Customer Service many times in search of a resolution.

• A Kidd
    2 months ago

@harpua728, is the performance heathered basketweave still holding up well? Any pilling? Thank you in advance for your reply!

• mspolver
    2 months ago

@ML - thanks for letting me know. I ended up going with the performance bouchle in oatmeal for my ultra lounger and am so happy with that decision, especially given all the issues with my other fabric choices. Sofa looks great and no issues so far, two months in!

• dippitydoppitydoo
    2 months ago

beautifully done