SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markus64

Could use some help with reviewing kitchen design

M
7 years ago

We are starting the process of redesigning our kitchen. Our house is multi-level and built into a hillside. That causes a couple of constraints. For mostly historical reasons, the current kitchen is build into the middle of the floor, has an awkward shape and because of that it has very limited storage. In fact, our current pantry is in a different room and on a different floor.

We'll move the kitchen into the former dining room, which gives a much better overall floorplan, and will result in a more traditional galley kitchen. But we end up having some awkward constraints because of existing windows that cannot be moved and at least one of the windows must remain accessible as a fire escape (fortunately, only half of the window needs to be accessible, we'll partially block the other one.

I came up with a proposed design: https://kitchendesign2017.github.io/kitchendesign/ It shows a 3D model. Not sure how to embed that into this posting. So, I think you'll need to follow the link.

It fits all the appliances that we want (whew!). In particular, we'll gain a steam oven, and the microwave will now be built-in rather than taking up space on the countertop. Also, we should be able to gain a lot more fridge and freezer space, which is important as I don't want to run down two floors to the garage, each time I need something from the freezer.

We'll also gain a much bigger pantry than we have ever had before :-) And we overall have OK amounts of storage, although not lots.

The design that I linked to currently has too few drawers, but I think that can be fixed by swapping the location of the pantry with the location of the microwave and steam oven. And then we can put drawers underneath the ovens.

I don't have access to the computer that I used for editing the mock-up until about three days from now. So, sorry that I haven't updated the model.

Comments (14)