SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_23166783

Bathroom Reveal-From "Hotel" To Swell!

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My long-awaited bathroom renovation has finally come to fruition. After over a dozen years of my "Hilton"-style vanity, rickety wicker drawers, peeling grout and increasingly- worn finishes, we finally pulled the trigger last October.

The undertaking should never be underestimated. If I can tell you anything, it's that. The thought process, decision making and choosing of finishes and fixtures is as involved as redoing a kitchen.

I've learned so much from this forum and consulted it almost daily to try to make right decisions, and avoid wrong ones.

Which brings me to two things that I'll mention specifically. The first is the bathtub. I am eternally grateful for the opinions here on tubs and experiences with installing and wear. I decided on a cast iron tub, but vacillated between that and steel/acrylic/fiberglass for a very long time before deciding to stick to my guns and tell our contractor I was standing firm on the cast iron. I realize it's a pain in the you-know-what to haul that tub and make sure it's supported safely, but I'm not budging.

So darn happy because I feel I have peace of mind with the best material you can choose, if you can.

The second is lighting. In my experience, less is not more and more is good! In our 5x8 bathroom, we installed one recessed light in the tub/shower area, 2 smaller, directional recessed lights in the "main" area, and 2 vanity lights flanking the mirror.

If you have no natural light, put much thought into ambient and task lighting from above, in front and even from the sides. You want to illuminate yourself as best you can, and illuminate the beautiful surface choices you've painstakingly made.

So, here's the old bathroom vanity:

And here's the new bathroom:

Materials:

Countertop- Fantasy Brown quartzite

Custom Vanity- Hagerstown, Cherry with espresso finish

Mirror- Pottery Barn Kensington Pivot Mirror

Pulls and Knobs- Top Knobs Ascendra

Sink- Kohler Ladena

Vanity Sconces- Hinkley Laurel

Faucet- Grohe Essence

Tumbled Glass Mosaic tile- Elegance by Casa Italia

Field and Floor tile- Crossville, Moonstruck Unpolished Gemini