SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_jennings49

Garlic Leaves Wilting and Turning Yellow- First time growing help

Jason
7 years ago

Hello,

I planted 2 large containers of garlic in late October/Early November. I planted in potting soil in one and coco coir in the second. I wanted to experiment and see how they did side by side with the same general treatment.I mixed in Dr Earth fertilizer in both before planting. It got really cold here in Seattle (one of the coldest Dec-Jan in the last 5 years) so I mulched over the top with leaves from my yard.

Things seemed to be going well. I had shoots come up in both. The shoots in soil based container look pretty good. Here they are:

Now the shoots in the coco coir have started to wilt and turn yellow. See for yourself:

Now, I have not applied any more fertilizer to either container. I think I read you wait until frost is done and spring has started to start feeding it every 3 weeks or so. I am not sure if this is a mistake and if I should start feeding both with some more fertilzier or not.

Also, I wonder if there is something else I need to do specific to coco coir? I did read somewhere that "May need additional supplementation - you may find your plants short on calcium and magnesium when using coconut coir, so supplementing with “Cal-Mag” may be necessary." I actually have some calmag here as well. From the pictures, do it look like a possible calcium or magnesium deficiency?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting