SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mawizz

taking a survey: where do you like a microwave best in a kitchen?

MaWizz
7 years ago

please tell me where you like the microwave best in a kitchen.

Comments (50)

• practigal
    7 years ago

I want it to be on or just below the counter. I don't like them at shoulder or head height. I prefer on the counter because then there is a convenient landing spot...but you need adequate prep space before you can use up countertop on a microwave.

MaWizz thanked practigal
  • kim k
    7 years ago

I prefer the microwave over the stove (gasp!) mostly because I've only had it that way. Definitely not on the counter. If I had room maybe above a wall oven? I cannot wrap my head around the drawer mw- reaching down to use it seems so awkward. Maybe just because I've never had it that way? I do like the idea of having it hidden away though.

MaWizz thanked kim k
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen hutch designs - which do you like best?

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks everybody. There are so many talented people out there. Bmore, that's a very good point about the center doors not opening as far in option 1. We had not considered that. Originally, we did have something akin to a corbel. I worried about it getting too cute. DH will post that later. Country smile, my main reasons for this "hutch" are for a large expanse of counter space plus additional storage. The need for counter space is one reason I do not want to bring any part of it to the lower cabinetry, as several people have suggested, though I agree it would look attractive. DH and I refer to this section of the kitchen as a hutch, as a way to differentiate it from the other sections. But it does not have to be furniture like, just attractive, proportional, and functional. I agree with others here that the all glass option opens up the space, and is a good contrast to the large floor to ceiling wall pantry, which will hold a small microwave, food, etc. Though this kitchen will have far more storage than my current kitchen, it is not huge. I am just not certain if I can afford to give up this space that I might need for practical items and don't want to end up adding fabric down the road. I too am a dish freak, though they don't all go together. So, I want practical and at the same time pretty, hence, trying to combine the glass and closed doors. LWO, a good point about not making the whole thing so wide. The architect suggested we could do that and I also felt it was crowded. DH is working on getting the final plans drawn up for the cabinet maker, but will play will all of your ideas later. Many many thanks to all of you. GW is becoming our KD.
    ...See More

what type of dishes do you like to use in microwave

Q

Comments (20)
    BE CAREFUL!! You should never heat water in Pyrex in the microwave without a disturber in the water. A bamboo skewer is a good choice. If you don't have something with an irregular surface that the bubbles can form on, the water can look like it's not boiling at all, and can get superheated. The superheated water can explode out of the cup. Pyrex is too smooth. Fine for pie or even soup, but put something tall enough to go from the bottom to the top of the cup in it, if you're going to heat water, or put a spoon in it before doing anything else with it, to let the bubbles out. Pyrex used to be borosilicate glass. You can still get Pyrex branded borosilicate in other countries, with the name licensed by the makers. In the U.S. (PA), it's now made by a separate company from Corning, and is tempered soda-lime glass, which is supposed to be harder to break but less heat resistant. It's not inferior in quality, just different in properties, and Corning was also selling tempered soda-lime glass, besides the borosilicate, for decades before they spun off Pyrex, so age doesn't tell the whole story.
    ...See More

where do you like your microwave?

Q

Comments (36)
    We're putting ours on a built-in shelf right next to the frig, within the work area yet still on the "periphery" of the kitchen. Don't think we'll both with a "garage door," but we're still toying with that. It'll be low enough for our almost 10-yr-old but high enough that I don't have to bend over to peer/reach in. tullamore - I know it's somewhat off-topic, but as a biologist, I just have to say that what you read/saw/learned simply isn't true. Every process of cooking alters the original structure of the molecules in our food - if it didn't, the food would remain completely unchanged through the cooking process (and thus there would be no need to cook anything...). However, that alteration simply changes the "shape" of the molecules (so proteins unfold a bit, for example) - but the nutrients our bodies need are still perfectly usable by our bodies (it's the building blocks IN the proteins that we need, not the proteins themselves). As proof - each nutrient has a specific "transporter" (i.e. doorway, if you will) through the stomach and intestinal lining. If they are altered, they will not be absorbed (i.e. can't pass through the proper transporter), and thus will go straight through you and come out as waste. That doesn't happen when we eat microwaved foods - our bodies absorb just as much as if we had cooked it on the stove or in the oven. For maximum nutritional value, raw is always best (i.e. veggies and fruits, etc) - but as for cooking in the oven versus the microwave, I promise there is no difference as far as our bodies are concerned. Sorry for the hijack - I just couldn't help but share that information. Professors are obnoxious that way...we always need to share information... :-) AP
    ...See More

Kitchen Reno: Which of these color combos do you like best?

Q

Comments (139)
    Sheeisback, I like the Fallen Leaf as well, but it's a pain because it's a CSP color, which means it's patented and protected by BM, so you can't buy samples in the stores, and you have to buy it in Aura paint. You can get a sample directly from BM, for $10 plus shipping, then the $60 for the gallon of Aura...not worth it to me. Emmarene, the kitchen also has the hand hewn pine beams on the ceiling and the shiplap chalet ceiling, painting in BM White Dove. Have to go back and really go over cabinet options and colors. Thinking about a green or an ivory now since I'm concerned the plain maple will clash with the pine beams. I don't want any cabs with orange in them, and I don't want dark cabs.
    ...See More
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

I also do not like reaching over my head. Mine is on a cart:)

If I was doing a kitchen I would like something like these pics.

MaWizz thanked jhmarie
  • kim k
    7 years ago

If it was built in like that I'd like it. I just don't like when they're stuck on the counter taking up space like an afterthought.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

OTR, without a doubt. Tried it the other ways, did not like it.

MaWizz thanked MDLN
  • Shelby
    7 years ago

Not below counter top level because my littles would have fun with that, not on counter (too big!), and I don't love it over the stove because my husband and I cook together and I feel like we are always having to open it in each other's faces. I'm opting for over a built

in stove when we build.

MaWizz thanked Shelby
  • Stan B
    7 years ago

Eye level (above oven, in a pantry, or over the counter but not over the range).

MaWizz thanked Stan B
  • lisadlu16
    7 years ago

I have had countertop all my life and just got a microwave drawer 5 months ago and love it best!

MaWizz thanked lisadlu16
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

we had it built in in an opening over the oven. pretty convenient

now we put it still over the oven, but behind the doors. looks very pretty since i can't see it lol

a tad too high I'd say. we really wanted as many deep drawers as possible, and that put the oven a bit higher than where we had it at our last place. but not as high as if it was over the range.

if given more choices-I'd do something similar to jhmarie's pictures

MaWizz thanked aprilneverends
  • bpath
    7 years ago

It takes up counterspace. For using the microwave, it is the most convenient. But at least it's using countertop that is out of the work U, that would only be used for storage anyway, like for the KitchenAid mixer. We don't use it much for cooking, just heating coffee and cocoa, making popcorn, and cooking vegetables, so it's in a great spot for that.

MaWizz thanked bpath
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Yes, mine is not smack in the middle of my 3 most used work zones. It's on a short run of countertop between the refrig and a wall, which also holds the KA mixer. I got rid of a larger one yo get a small one - does everything my larger one foes but takes up a lot less space.

MaWizz thanked Anglophilia
  • Buehl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Either a MW drawer (have that now and it's great) -or- built-in no higher than lower-chest height (just above counter-height, but not much higher).

Over the head or any height you have to reach up to access is dangerous - especially for children and older people.

I've used all kinds (counter, OTR, cart, built-in, drawer, on a chair - equivalent to being under the counter), and the one I thought was the worst was the OTR MW.

• It was noisy, a lousy hood, and a mediocre MW.
    • It was too high and it was annoying to have to get out of the way if I was cooking and someone needed to get to the MW. I didn't let my kids use it b/c it was too high and I was concerned about spills on their heads and down the bodies b/c of the need to reach up to use it - and my kids were not exactly short at the time, but they were shorter than the bottom of the MW.
    • It couldn't even vent steam effectively! (If you're someone who doesn't like to stand in front of a MW while it's cooking - think about it being at head/brain level!)

MW drawers are easy to use and they work well for people of all ages/heights.

Regarding your children playing with the MW - first, there's a child lock; second, it's no different than an oven or stove or any other appliance. At least with a MW if it's opened it stops; not so with an oven!

MaWizz thanked Buehl
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

Mine is built it. With a trim kit installed around it, just about chest high - I'm 5'2". It's a functional height, but the nearest landing zone is to the left and the door opens to the left - I find myself shutting it with my shoulder when hands are full.

My SIL just had one built into her new island. I haven't used it enough to know how convenient, but it looks nice ;0) I've a feeling it may be a little low for what most of us are used to.

MaWizz thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Counter height or just above a wall oven at shoulder height. Also out of the way of the main cooking,prep and clean-up area.

MaWizz thanked wildchild2x2
  • mushcreek
    7 years ago

Ours is a counter top model, but it's in the DR (a few steps from the kitchen). We had an OTR (Over The Range), and consistently hated it. Ours is currently housed in an old Hoosier cabinet. I originally planned to build in a DR cabinet with a dedicated spot for the MW so that it could be closed up and out of sight. If I do that, though, then we would have no place for our beloved old Hoosier, so I *think* it's going to stay as-is.

Why the DR? We use the MW 98% of the time for reheating, and only rarely for cooking chores, such as melting butter. The fridge is only a few feet away, so it's fridge-MW-dining table for those quick week-night meals.

You didn't ask, but we LOVE our Panasonic MW! It's an inverter type, and is by far the best MW I've ever used. Instead of cycling on/off for lower power settings, it actually uses a lower power setting.

MaWizz thanked mushcreek
  • herbflavor
    7 years ago

the best spot is relative to type of use..kitchen configuration..size of microwave. Small microwaves are actually best on counters...but you want to be sure you have the counterspace for this. In a kitchen where the cook uses the microwave for actual cooking, then whatever is conducive to that person's needs...not too far from cooking zone, with a good landing spot adjacent to take out things out and stir, do the " add ins" involved in the cooking process...this would be a larger more full function model..is best at shoulder height . If the microwave is for kids/snacks/warmup beverages and left overs then even a cart, or outside the work triangle can be preferable. Microwave cooking is efficient, healthy, versatile and placement is relative to examination of how/who uses and zones available in your remodel.

MaWizz thanked herbflavor
  • dcward89
    7 years ago

When we remodeled our kitchen, the microwave went to the basement. We realized how very little we use it and it is still, 2 years after the reno was completed, in the basement. Literally the only time we use it is for microwave popcorn for my husband which is maybe twice a year at most...not worth taking up any space in the kitchen for us. I realize it doesn't fit into your survey but it never hurts to re-evaluate what most consider must-haves to be sure it's something we really use.

MaWizz thanked dcward89
  • sas95
    7 years ago

We had an opening built into our island just under the counter. It works well for us there, but we only really use it to cook frozen vegetables and reheat the cup of coffee I let grow cold.

MaWizz thanked sas95
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Near the fridge, whatever level one prefers. Mine is beside the fridge, in a cabinet box on the counter, but it sits a couple of inches off the counter. I really like the idea of a MW on a deep shelf beside the fridge--off the counter, but not too high. Images--MW beside fridge

MaWizz thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • wekick
    7 years ago

Ours is next to the frig too. We mostly use it for reheating. It has a nook cabinet level because I like it off the countertop.

MaWizz thanked wekick
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Wherever it will fit and be out of the way is my favorite location.

Where there's room I prefer a countertop to an OTR, but it's always been kind of interesting to me that with all the strong prejudice against OTRs here--they're so high they're dangerous!--that nobody has ever once said that about the built-in microwave over oven combos, which mostly put the micro at about the same level.

MaWizz thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • caligirl5
    7 years ago

Mine is going next to the fridge in a deep upper cabinet above an appliance garage. It'll be in a corner, so a bit out of view. I thought off the counter would be a little better since the door clearance wouldn't take up counterspace.

MaWizz thanked caligirl5
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

Mine is on the counter, in a space very similar to Anglophilia's, with my stand mixer as its neighbor. Even though my kitchen is small (10x10), it is G-shaped and has plenty of counter for its size. This is a small stretch that wouldn't be used for anything else. It still affords landing space.

MaWizz thanked Bunny
  • prideofownermichigan5b
    7 years ago

Mine is on the counter to make it easy for the kids to use. As soon as they leave for college, it's going behind pantry doors!

MaWizz thanked prideofownermichigan5b
  • akrogirl32
    7 years ago

Mine is on the counter in the breakfast bar in our current house, though I agree with writerslock. We had an OTR in our previous house, because that was the only logical place for it, and never had a problem with it.

MaWizz thanked akrogirl32
  • Renee Texas
    7 years ago

Ideally, in a "stack" where it's neither too high or low. I do not like it so low younger children can reach it easily, but as a short person, I HATE it above the range. Real-world preference is usually over a wall oven.

MaWizz thanked Renee Texas
  • mrspete
    7 years ago

I've put some real thought into where to place the microwave, and I'm convinced a GOOD choice does not exist:

On-the-counter:

- Cheapest option, easy to change to another unit.

- Sits in the way, eating up your counter space, and isn't easy to clean around /under.

Over-the-range:

- Reaching up isn't always safe (especially with hot liquids); and, being short, I can't see what's going on with the food while it's cooking.

- Requires installation and can't easily be changed out.

- The hood vent it provides is inferior to larger units.

Microwave drawer:

- The most expensive choice, and if it breaks you're limited to that same size.

- Reaching down into a drawer doesn't seem to be a great option, and small children have more access to the microwave than you might like.

In the pantry (or another room):

- Another cheap option, easy to change out the model.

- Lacks convenience

We're going with hidden in a pantry cabinet outside the main kitchen area. We're going to place it next to the refrigerator for warming of left-overs, and we're going to downsize to a SMALL microwave. I'm not saying I love it, but I think it's the best option for us.

MaWizz thanked mrspete
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Anywhere eye level. Never on or below counter

MaWizz thanked bossyvossy
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

ours is next to the fridge too. and out of the active cook zone(we use it mostly to heat up stuff. but we use it a lot). and it's a free standing model one-we've just put it on the shelf rather than on the countertop

but i wouldn't say we had a lot of choice as per where to put it, and chose very deliberately..we have so few uppers it really was the only thing making sense

MaWizz thanked aprilneverends
  • autumn.4
    7 years ago

mine is like mjoceans. I like it eye level and near the fridge. I also didn't want a true built in so we can easily swap it out if/when it fails. Mush more cost efficient that way. Our uppers are a bit deeper to be sure it didn't stick out and would accommodate most.

Old pic (seriously I wish my counters were always this clear) mid-backsplash install - fridge is to the right:

And I think you were concerned about the fridge showing from the living room in your layout thread. If you have a full panel it doesn't. We pulled the above cabinets out 6" and our fridge looks built-in but it's not. Sorry it's so grainy. Eww.

MaWizz thanked autumn.4
  • nhbaskets
    7 years ago

After paying an outrageous amount for a built in convection micro in our previous home, I opted for a small counter microwave in our new home. It sits on the counter above our raised DW. Would prefer this closer to the fridge, but it's worked well for us.

MaWizz thanked nhbaskets
  • H202
    7 years ago

Ours is hidden in a tall wall pantry/cabinet, right at eye level. I love it there. We use it maybe once a week or less. Every time i open the cupboard to get to it, i revel in how hidden it is and how i don't have to look at it for the other 23 hours and 59 minutes.

MaWizz thanked H202
  • zippity1
    7 years ago

3 years ago, while building our retirement home, we discovered that microwave doors open (at that time) only from right to left or from top to bottom or vice versa

my spot for the microwave required it to open (preferably) from left to right so after a week or so of "thinkin" about it, we put the microwave in the appliance pantry-which is ok with us cause we don't use it very much....

MaWizz thanked zippity1
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

I had a microwave drawer in my condo and we'll be putting one in in our new build. I think they are the best option.

It's like putting your dishes in a drawer vs putting them in an upper cabinet. So much easier to reach down to lift hot food out and up or put food in, than reaching up and pulling the hot food down. Those who now use drawers for your dishes, why is it ok for the dishes but you can't see it for the MW?

Microwave drawer:

- The most expensive choice, and if it breaks you're limited to that same size.

All microwave drawers are made by Sharp and are 24" wide. The only difference is the larger ones have a trim kit to make it larger.

- Reaching down into a drawer doesn't seem to be a great option,

(See above) It's much easier to reach down and realize that you most likely (especially since you're short) won't even have to bend over to reach into the drawer. I know I don't.

and small children have more access to the microwave than you might like.

Our microwave was under the counter when our kids were growing up (before mw drawers). My kids were taught not to use the mw until they were 5-6 years old. Once they were that age, they were taught how to make "scrambled" eggs in the MW so they could make their own breakfast in the morning.

I also believe most MW's now have a childproof lock.

My MW drawer will be next to my fridge between the prep sink and the fridge.

MaWizz thanked cpartist
  • ldstarr
    7 years ago

We have a small microwave on the counter in our walk-in pantry. Perfect place for a cheap microwave, yet ready accessible.

MaWizz thanked ldstarr
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your feedback and pics! I knew there would be a lot differences of opinions on this topic and thank you for explaining why you like the mw best or why not. So from what I read thru the thread is that the majority best like the shoulder/eye level/built in type most and either next to fridge over or over built in ovens.

herbflavor i like your response:)

the best spot is relative to type of use..kitchen configuration..size of microwave. Small microwaves are actually best on counters...but you want to be sure you have the counterspace for this. In a kitchen where the cook uses the microwave for actual cooking, then whatever is conducive to that person's needs...not too far from cooking zone, with a good landing spot adjacent to take out things out and stir, do the " add ins" involved in the cooking process...this would be a larger more full function model..is best at shoulder height . If the microwave is for kids/snacks/warmup beverages and left overs then even a cart, or outside the work triangle can be preferable. Microwave cooking is efficient, healthy, versatile and placement is relative to examination of how/who uses and zones available in your remodel.

dcward i had to laugh when i read your response in the basement. that's a new place! lol guess that's not an option for me since i'm on a slab :)

mjocean that looks really nice, clean, and simple. do you happen to know the size of that micro?

mrspete how bout built in next to fridge

autumn4 very nice! yes very similar to mjocean. i do like the panel on side of fridge looks very nice and pretty kitchen great job!

nhbaskets thanks for pic, another pretty kitchen! interesting about the raised dishwasher!

ok so i have gone thru all those options in my mind since i'm getting ready for my kitchen reno and have my opinions too. these are just my opinions and i think it all depends on the individual.

For me the OTR i have now and have had twice is convenient, don't mind how it looks, doesn't perform well, don't like to run because it's so loud i can't hear anyone. Under the counter my mom just put there in her new home and advised me against it, hates it. Says she has to bend over and can't see. Undercounter drawer expensive and just seems awkward again you can't see in without bending over. on the counter takes up space. in pantry not real convenient, but might be a good option if i had a walk in pantry. behind doors don't care for the 2 door thing, my people would most likely leave door standing open. soooo i thought i try a built in eye level mw somewhat out of sight next to fridge. seems like a lot of you like that too! glad to hear :) thanks for the feedback!

• bemocked
    7 years ago

Either on the countertop, or just slightly higher, in the "cooking" work area of my kitchen, reasonable close proximity to the cooktop.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

H202 can i see a pic of yours?

• Miss TKO 2015
    7 years ago

I have mine in upper wall cabinet. I love it there, I love not having to look at the microwave.

Cabinet closed:

• H202
    7 years ago

Here's mine hidden in the cabinet. Sorry the pic is a little dark but it's early and grey here in the city.... as said, we only use it every week or so usually for less than thirty seconds. We have a toaster oven that's integrated into our open shelving that we use for almost all of our quick cooking and leftovers.

• mjocean
    7 years ago

MaWizz,

Happy you requested the measurements as I have just learned they no longer manufacture our model and the new model is a tiny bit larger. The new model is GE #PEM31FSS and the dimensions are 12 1/8" H X 24" W X 12 7/8" D. It is a smaller size microwave but it has turn table and meets our needs.

MJ

MaWizz thanked mjocean
  • Pamela K
    7 years ago

I like mine on the counter top. I have a little nook beside the fridge just for it and drawers below to store microwavable containers. I use the island as a prep center. It works well.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mjocean thank you! That's the one I'm most likely going with.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

"...small children have more access to the microwave [drawer] than you might like..."

As I mentioned before and CPArtist also mentioned - they have child locks. Once children do start using the MW, the drawer is a much safer option than any location that requires them to use a chair (or stool) to access the MW.

"Reaching down into a drawer doesn't seem to be a great option..."

Actually, it's a much safer option if you have limited mobility (even just stiff joints) or balance issues. You don't have to reach up and pull down hot food (especially from at or over your head level) you just reach down.

My 81-year old mother really likes our MW drawer b/c it's so easy to use - and she does not have mobility or other issues.

"...nobody has ever once said that about the built-in microwave over oven combos, which mostly put the micro at about the same level..."

Most MWs mounted in an oven stack are lower than an OTR - unless it's a double oven stack. If it is a double-oven stack, I always caution against that when someone comes here with that idea - for the same reasons.

The other thing about non-OTR MWs is that you don't have to reach over a flame (if gas) or cooking food (think billowing steam or splattering grease) like you do when try to use an OTR.

HerbFlavor is right...location is the first thing to think about when considering a MW! It should be:

• On the periphery so it's easily accessed by both those preparing & cooking a meal and someone who wants to use it for a quick snack or cook frozen vegetables for the meal - all without anyone getting in the way of the other.
      -- It should not be located where there's a barrier b/w the MW and the primary Prep Zone b/c the MW is sometimes used as part of preparing a meal (e.g., melting butter). So, for example, do not make an island a barrier b/w the MW and the primary Prep Zone - wherever it might be.
    • Near landing zone -
      -- Undercounter MWs (drawer or other) -- immediately above
      -- Countertop -- on the side opposite the MW's door hinge (or either side if the MW door opens from the top)
      -- Overhead -- immediately below the MW
    • Near the refrigerator and a water source b/c most MW'd food comes from the refrigerator or freezer and needs water added to it.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    7 years ago

We opted for a microwave drawer and we are loving it. We've been using it for close to a month now. The kids love it. It's easy to use and much safer than a mw that is up high.

• Terri_PacNW
    7 years ago

I put it under the counter in a "microwave" cabinet. It's beside the fridge, under the coffee station.

My 6'3" 16.5 yr old isn't impressed. My 2 yr old grand daughter is thrilled with it there. (Thankfully she hasn't figured out how to run it yet.) just push a button that makes it beep.

I explained to the "kids" that dad and I don't use it much and once they are all only visitors, we'll continue to appreciate the counter space it gave back. :)

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Silly me originally posted this in the wrong thread: Message to self, COFFEE first, then, post!!!:

My MW is currently on the counter in an inconvenient spot since the door opens the wrong way. But it is in the least inconvenient spot in order to maximize what remains of my counter space for everything else. It would be even more inconvenient to put it anywhere else in my kitchen - under counter for me at six foot one is a total non-starter - my dishes wouldn't go there, either. And there'd be only one space to attach it under an upper cabinet (other than OTR), which would be as inconvenient as its current location - since the builder of this kitchen was enamored with 12-inch wide uppers.

In my future kitchen, the MW (bought for $60 on sale at HD a couple years ago) will sit out on the counter at the right end of the countertop depicted below. I will have plenty of territory for it, and for the George Foreman and the toaster oven, which will space themselves out on this counter as well. I don't mind seeing appliances of this nature out where they can be useful. (I am, however, sick of seeing my oils, vinegars, and soy sauces out on my counters, which where I am now, I am seriously stuck with seeing due to lack of space inside anything.)

Anyhow, while the MW will not be near the fridge, this will fit with the way I use my MW. I use it for heating tea water, re-heating coffee or leftovers, and occasionally I use it for one of the several ways I prepare asparagus. I never use it to melt butter or to COOK with (even frozen veggies - I toss those into a pot of hot water and go to town on the range, and now that I will be using an induction cooktop, this will be even faster...), other than that occasional asparagus prep. I don't like popcorn, so I don't even do that.

Plates are immediately above where the MW will be (on the right there), and silverware in the drawer immediately below. (All one step from the DW on the peninsula you can't see.) I'll nuke, grab, and step around the peninsula to sit at the dining table to consume. (Or take it outside if the weather permits.)

So, basically, where you put it depends entirely on how you plan to use it, how many people might be needing it, and occupant / user heights. I figure countertop is good if I ever get wheelchair bound, as for now under-counter for me will NOT be efficient. Those drawer, top loading ones are too pricy considering I use mine on the average of once, maybe twice, a week. Due to my usage style, keeping mine OUT of the primary prep zone is essential.

PS: clutter present in the photo is GC stuff. He's allowed to do that right now... :)

• jaimeeap
    7 years ago

Our new build will have a small micro on a shelf in a appliance type pantry with retractable doors.

• the_veg
    7 years ago

My kitchen has two wall-oven spaces but only the lower one has an oven in it, in this case the original 1972 GE unit that still works quite well! A previous owner painted the upper space black and mounted a socket in there, and even left me a crappy, dirty old countertop MW in that space. I tossed that one and put my much nicer, cleaner, newer countertop model in there that I brought from my previous place. I'm 6'4", my SO is 5'5", and we have no kids- so it's an ideal height for ease of use. It's also across from the refrigerator and the sink and right between the stove and the pantry, so the location really couldn't be better (the kitchen is what I'd call a 'wide galley' type, so nothing is really inconveniently far away from anything else). I may consider a built-in someday if the oven ever dies, in which case a matching set might be nice. But for now, this will do rather nicely. :)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville