SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyz8bpnw

What's your favorite fragrant rose for a cool mild wet climate?

garyz8bpnw
7 years ago

We have a lot of fine beautiful hydrangea varieties and nice Canna. Wonderful visually, but mostly without fragrance.

I'm looking for a fragrant rose suggestion or two. What can't you live without?

Intense amazing fragrance, nice medium size growth habit, and mildew resistance in a mostly sun location, are key to me. It's a plus if they look a bit exotic or unusual.

Currently, I was considering 'Fragrant Cloud' and 'Double Delights'.

We have just 3 roses currently.

There's a classic 'Zephirine Drouhin' as the climber at our front door entrance area. Strong "old bourbon" class rose fragrance, nearly being thornless, nice intense color, striking red new growth color, decent mildew resistance, partial shade resistance and great trainable habit make this a must. I first learned about this beauty in the early 2000's as this front cover photo from Wayside Gardens catalog. It is the rose growing in New Orleans along Bourbon Street walls on the restaurant district for which gave the Old Bourbon Rose class it's name. This old heirloom is still great.

Next we have 'Secret' in the backyard in an upper yard covered patio setting. It's near a built in table and bench for outdoor entertainment.. Depending on light and weather conditions 'Secret' can be as shown below or mostly white, with less pink edging. As much as I like these two roses we likely have enough pink color now for our roses.

If the wind direction changes 45 degrees, we have a third standout fragrance rose also neaby the upper, which I'll describe below. Fragrance generated from here can also carry to a lower family room, a second lower patio area, and up to a second story bedroom window. We are considering converting the lower patio into a solarium this year. It will still have a window accessible to fragrance.

IF the wind changes 180 degrees, the Gazebo zone gets it.

The mystery third Rose?

During a plant nursery visit last fall I was truely blown away by a standout fruity, warm, complex fragrance of an unknown rose, detected by its "wafting" fragrance. I wanted it no matter what looked like! But I sure was hoping that it wasn't again pink.

In the outdoor scrub area I had tracked the scent to a only one flower ONE end of season flower on a David Austin rose called 'Jude the Obscure'! With your nose right up into the flower is still great. It is not coying and is the kind of fragrance that lures you to carry the flower to a friend or your desk.

Although having a heady pleasant fragrance 'Jude the Obscure' is demure in color. It is "concolor" (of single color hue) with a calming warm light pineapple / mango (rosey / peach) color. Flowers open to form an elegant chalice shape, and then may sometime flatten out over time.

Having limited space now I'm selective about what I get. When I later walked over to the office to inquire about it, the Head Plantsman had cut and brought in the flower I'd seen and the staff was exclaiming about it. I had them set the plant aside a few minutes. Good thing, another person saw the flower and was asking about it. How's that for validation?

This is the last flower my little starter bush put out in 2016 before a strong Nov frost that night hit us. I see leaf buds getting ready for warmer weather.

I can hardly wait for spring!

If ya got striking plants ... why not add striking fragrance plants too!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida