SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aubrey_hahn

Water softener? Filter enough?

7 years ago

We've recently moved to a rural home on well water.

Situation:

2 adults + 1 baby (+ 1-2 more in the next few years)

2,000 sq ft home, 3 bathrooms

Private well & septic

Black staining in toilet tanks, red staining in bowls and in drum of washer and in dishwasher

Strong sulfur smell in both hot and cold water

Test results showed:

9 grains of hardness

1ppm of iron (clear water)

.15ppm of manganese

175 gpg total dissolved solids

Ph: 7.8

Currently the house has 2 20"x4.5" Big Blue filters, which are not really helping much (the filters definitely need to be replaced, but that clearly hasn't been cutting it for quite some time based on the degree of staining in the toilets). All of the plumbing is in the unfinished basement (which does not have a floor drain, so backflush water would need to be routed up).

We spoke with a Kinetico dealer: $6K, Culligan: $3K, then were looking at perhaps purchasing a Fleck water softener for more like $700 and installing it ourselves-- but were recently advised that we might not even need a softener but instead to get something like a Aqualux AIO System to handle the iron, manganese, sulfur content.

I am all for not having to lug salt and deal with all of that if we don't need to install a softener. However, I desperately want the smell and the staining to go away. I'm willing to pay what I need to pay to make sure the water is safe and pleasant (especially with babies in the picture) but hate feeling taken advantage of with some of the salespeople we've encountered.

THANK YOU!

Comment (1)