SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicolle_zawacki

Layout Advice - for new kitchen - exciting!

Nic
7 years ago

Hi hi! We are planning a renovation and the kitchen is #1 priority -- I’ve been reading the forum and am excited to hear your thoughts for our home -- THANK YOU!

Scroll down for additional info & images - whew!

***Floor Plan - Preliminary Kitchen Layout - 1 square = 1 foot***

My Mission: Make the kitchen the center of our home, functional for 2+ cooks (and occasional baking), and with:

1. views / easy access to play soccer & grill in the backyard,
  2. space to be enjoyed with family & friends (casual entertaining, cooking with our parents)
  3. a layout that can grow with our family (we have a 2 year old, I see homework at the island in our future)
  4. the ‘feel' of a furnished room - warm, personal, inviting - it will be open to (new) family room. Our home is a 1940s center hall colonial home and while we want to modernize the space, we want it to 'fit'

Reno scope:

• The kitchen is being moved and we are adding at least 5’ to the back wall - so it will be about 12'x20' - we are open to adding more to the 20' if it increases function but the 12' is kinda set due to layout. (I’m sure cuts will come somewhere later in planning!)
  • We do want to keep a formal dining room (and that wall can’t be easily moved - the door can move, but I’d like to keep it in the general area since the dining room is small.)
  • Ceiling is 8’ high; family room area might have higher ceiling / skylights and will have a lot of windows on the back - I want kitchen to feel big and airy but the 2nd story above limits ceiling height.

Function trumps form - and I'd love to have:

1. a beverage / snack / coffee / breakfast area on the edge of the kitchen - possibly with a refrig drawer.

2. baking area

3. Pantry - walk-in with electrical and even a 2nd sink or dishwasher drawer would be amazing, but a pull-out is fine. We have bulk storage and a deep freeze in the basement.

4. island with seating - and perhaps a pull-out on wheels?

5. a 2nd sink … but I don’t think I want to break up the island for one

6. ‘hutches’ - for dishes (and appliances if no walk-in pantry option)

Not opposed to:

1. Sink not being under a window - could also be in a corner
  2. a utility cabinet or cookbook shelves on the end of the cabinets
  3. Putting a wet bar or the ‘utility’ cabinet in the family room built-ins.
  4. A breakfast area in family room - Originally I wanted a breakfast nook, but now think I’ll just put a table near the windows in the family room.
  5. any other suggestions to maximize the function!

Don’t want:

1. to see kitchen from entry
  2. have appliances be prominent in sight lines from living room, or dining room (if possible)

Appliances - specific models are TBD (I’m trying not to get tied to specifics until I understand the ideal layout):

• Rangetop (gas) - could be range if better for space but...

• Double wall ovens (one likely a MW/convection oven - we use toaster oven a lot but microwave minimal. Want wall oven to broil, brown pies, etc.)

• DW - standard + possibly a drawer

• Refrigerator - standard depth, recessed. would prefer single door (freezer on bottom) or all-fridge + freezer drawer (french doors seem hard with bigger platters/one hand/holding a kid - though we’ve never had one)

• Quiet ventilation hood

• Large, single basin sink - we have a 20x18 now and I might go even bigger?

• possibly: ice maker and insta-water

***Floor Plan - 1st Floor***

***Floor Plan - Kitchen Details***

***For Inspiration - I love the appliance/coffee stations + use of (some) glass***

***Kitchen Cabinet / Counter Color Inspiration - we are thinking dark cabinets, light counters and dark wood floors***

***Preliminary Kitchen design without grid***

Thanks again!

Comments (22)