SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

WWYD - unhappy purchase from Louis Vuitton

MtnRdRedux
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

A number of you have seen me post in the past about my annual tradition of giving my girls (who have birthdays so close to xmas) a piece of jewelry every year on their birthday (since year 1), which goes in a jewelry box that they will get when they turn 16.

I have never bought costume jewelry (that they get at other times). The idea was sort of a starter on a young adult jewelry wardrobe. I have certain items, like a good watch, I plan to give them at 18, etc.

Well this year I was flummoxed. Heretofore I have tried to stay around $1000 or so. I know the things they really want, and they cost more. Some of their classmates wear these things, but we all have our own lines to cross and I just think they are too young for things that cost thousands.

So, I did find some things I thought they would like. It is costume jewelry by Louis Vuitton. I gave DD1 a necklace from them, and she loved it. It is here - http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/flower-full-necklace-011888

But she wore it once and it broke. I know her, and she is ultra-responsible. I do not blame her.

I contacted LV right away (I had bought all of this online). First, they wanted to see a photo of it. Then, they took a week to get back to me. The response was:

Upon assessment we are delighted to confirm that your Flower Full Necklace can be repaired. However, due to the nature of the damage, regrettably, we cannot provide complementary repair services. A repair cost will be provided upon the intake of your item.

I cannot tell you how livid I am, and how much this "service" has diminished my pleasure in gift giving (not to mention my DD's disappointment). This is a very overpriced piece of jewelry, and not high quality. It broke immediately. I would like to march into their store, return it (and the other piece I bought for DD2) and tell them what they can do with it! I frequently buy overpriced luxury items. IMHO, part of the deal when you are a luxury customer is they treat you very well. It assuages the unpleasantness of being ripped off. Most luxury brands know this and would never treat a customer this way. Not even an apology!

I think if I had bought a bauble from Macy's, and come back to say it broke the first time I wore it, they would apologize and replace it. I can't believe a luxury brand would be so cheap! I believe, IIRC, that any item sold has an "implicit warrant of merchantability" ... meaning, essentially, if I sell you a necklace, you can use it as such without it breaking immediately. If so, I think it is de facto returnable. I suppose they could claim we damaged it through our own neglect somehow, but that is pretty much saying the customer is lying. But TBH I don't know why I am even having to put on my "armchair lawyer hat" for this transaction.

So.... what would you do? My DD loves the necklace, but who's to say if I suck it up it won't break again? I am thinking of having a local jeweler look at it and tell me what they would do (as in this is such a piece of junk you should march right back with it, or it's ok for what it is and we can fix it here, now).

TIA

Comments (70)