SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loreleicomal

San Antonio Spring Plant Swap, April 8, 9 am, Rogiers Park

loreleicomal
7 years ago

It's official, reservation has been made. Start making you plant lists (if anything survived our freezes!).

Comments (156)

• castro_gardener
    7 years ago

All of you who start from seeds.... do you want some six-packs ? I have the large ones, and I think the regular smaller ones as well.

• phoenix7801
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ok so far this is what I have down. Let me know if I missed something:

Sabalmatt: 1 Chocolate Cherry Tomato, a pair of Golden Sunset epi cuttings and a pair of Autumn Shadow cuttings

LeapingFrog: 1 genovese basil, 1 cucumber and 1 squash. The cactus and yucca would be nice :-)

Gardenlover: Sungold Tomato, 2 brandywine tomatoes and 1 cucumber

Sewnmom: Cactus Soil and Grace Ann epi cuttings

Haves:

10 Basil

1g Sungold Tomato

2 1g Cherokee Purple Tomato

4 1g Chocolate Cherry Tomato

4 1g Yellow Cherry Tomato

2 1g Black Cherry Tomato

5 4" Tatuma Squash

6 Jalafuego jalapeno

A pair of Autumn Shadow epi cuttings

A pair of Sonic Bloom epi cuttings

A pair of Madine epi cuttings

cactus soil

loreleicomal thanked phoenix7801
  • Related Discussions

have: san antonio plant swap 10/18/14 rogier's park 9:00 am ...

Q

Comments (148)
    Yes, that must have been it, Omar. It was pixies playing tricks on us or else it was me who was somewhat "pixilated' after all the talking and trading ... LOL I have a question: someone brought a jar for the door prize table containing something brown that looked like preserves of some kind, but it had a picture of a cleaning woman on it. I asked the contributor and she told me that if was for cleaning your hands after gardening and contained brown sugar. I'm fascinated, but can't remember what else the cleaning compound contained. Anybody remember who brought it and what else it contained besides brown sugar? The dates for both SAPS next year will be announced by Lorelei soon ... :-)
    ...See More

San Antonio Spring Swap April 6, 2013

Q

Comments (8)
    We'll keep bumping this up until we're pretty sure everyone in the area has seen it and active pre-trading gets underway on the Exchange Forum. However, not all trades will be prearranged. Many will take place on the day of the swap.
    ...See More

Spring San Antonio Swap Date: April 2

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you Gina! It was fun meeting and chatting with you and everyone else there, not to mention the great plants and other things everybody brought, traded, or even gave away. Incidentally, we have to set a date for the swaps months in advance to reserve a pavilion. They go quickly.
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap, Saturday, April 9, 2016, Rogiers Park

Q

Comments (153)
    Patty dear, there were only enough rainlilies for me. I think they're pink. Okay, actually, there are lots & I'll set ya some aside when I plant them. He says they grow like crazy. Keep an eye on that Matthew guy--he's got some amazing stuff. He likes roses & citrus & natives. Ditto on the salvias. I have another incredible looking one from Tash (Lovesblooms) that you, et. al., need--S. clarea turkestanica, I think. Grows up to a really majestic size with an astonishing bloom stalk. Threw lots of babies that are coming up now. Meant to dig a bunch but these past couple of months got ridiculously busy & I barely even made it to bring what I'd promised. Thank you for the tip re. washing the blinds first. I don't recall for sure, but I likely stuck that oxalis in with some stuff I took to Ragna's house last time--asked for or not--you know I do that sort of thing. I will see that you get some fer sure, because it's obviously so necessary to your happiness. I didn't think a person could kill oxalis, but I've done very well with that beautiful thing & am ashamed. I see a couple of pitiful leaves poking up, though, so there's hope.
    ...See More
  • sewnmom7
    7 years ago

phoenix, if you have any epi s left, I'd love a couple,and cactus soil. molly

• loreleicomal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Phoenix, I'll take an epi cutting as well, golden sunset if still available!

• chargreen
    7 years ago

Sadly I am going to have to miss this swap. Still dealing with tornado damage. Hopefully everything will be back together by fall. If anyone wants any Maximilian sunflowers or Gulf Penstemon or random native plants. I always have lots to share if you are up my way near Kyle. Enjoy the swap and hope to see you in the fall.

• phoenix7801
    7 years ago

Lorelei and Sewnmom I set aside yalls requests as well. I also edited the above list

loreleicomal thanked phoenix7801
  • gardenlover1
    7 years ago

phoenix7801: I would love to have 2 Brandywine tomatoes. Will get you some pecans.

• phoenix7801
    7 years ago

Cool I'd love some. Set aside your tomatoes

• gardenlover1
    7 years ago

Does anyone have a rooted lemon plant?

dstartz: I can have more malabar spinach if you want to spare. Do you still have Primrose Jasmine and Rutgers?

• castro_gardener
    7 years ago

Is anyone interested in this planter ? It is 2-part which kinda snaps together. Perfect for herbs. I've had it for years, then Roselee (who painted it purple) had it for awhile, now it's time for someone else to enjoy it. Let me know and I'll throw it in the truck.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    7 years ago

Pheonix I have your yucca and some cactus.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    7 years ago

Bluegirl, I have your yellow water iris and water fern.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

update to what I'm bringing:

Ichang Lemon seedlings (4)- these are a very cold hardy citrus to 10* and will produce fruit the size of a grapefruit; Wedelia (3)- a tough, yellow blooming ground cover that really spreads; Bauhinia forficata aka Brazillian orchid tree or Pata de Vaca (2)- it's nice in that it blooms all summer through fall and is cold hardy; Agave lophanta type (1); Cordia bosseri aka Texas Olive (2); green tradescantia w/ white spots on leaves aka wandering j** (2); salvia farinacea aka mealy cup sage (1); Texas or Mexican sabal palm seedlings; Date palm seedlings 'black sphinx' and many 5 gal and 15 gal black plastic pots.

• loreleicomal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just a reminder please: do not park in front of people's driveways and /or their mailboxes. You might get a traffic ticket if you do! Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!

• phoenix7801
    7 years ago

Can I have one of those Ichang Lemon seedlings Matt? Sounds interesting

• gardenlover1
    7 years ago

sabalmatt: One Ichang Lemon seedling for me too. Thanks.

• mamachile
    7 years ago
    See you guys. Mike is bringing some Shipley donuts and coffees to share with all.
  • Vulture61
    7 years ago

sabalmatt, why, why do you do this to me? :p I've wanted Bauhinia forficata for years. Ragna and Irene gave me a white bauhinia but I don't think is forficata and it died back during the last winter even though it is planted 2' from the house which makes me think it is not that hardy. Does your BF has thorns? Ragna has not been able to propagated by seed. How did you propagate yours?

Omar

• briaustex
    7 years ago

Looks like it was awesome! I'm hoping to make the fall swap this year.

• shellshok
    7 years ago

Nice seeing everyone again & meeting some for the first time. Many many thanks to all who took & shared plants with me.

• castro_gardener
    7 years ago

Long-time friends and attendees, Linda and Sheila. Linda always has great native plants, while Sheila always brings unique edibles.

Matt speaking to Karen (Bluegirl), who came with her dad from Kerrville area.

Lauren and Joey helping Rochelle (shellshok) pick out the best tomato and squash.

Linda and Sheila discussing something while Valerie (right) listens in. (Matt and Bettina in background)

Mike and Karen, with her dad Rudy, seated.

Lisa with friend Miriam, who hopes to travel to Costa Rica -- where I imagine she will see some very awesome plants! Pat (LeapingFrogLady) is in the background checking to see what she has left over.

Tally tells Rose (Pat's cousin) that she really needs that plant!

Somehow I missed getting a picture of GardenLover, Anu. I think she was hiding from the camera. I also did not get the latecomers, Molly (Sewnmom) and her friend.

We missed seeing Donna (dstartz), Ragna (Roselee) and Mara (Wantonamara) who were unable to attend. We missed you!

loreleicomal thanked castro_gardener
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago

Patty, thank you for the excellent photos! I really enjoyed see all y'all having such a great time!!! Maybe I can make the fall swap.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the plants and and conversation! I look forward to the fall meet & swap.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

Omar/Vulture61- RE: Bauhinia forficata. I've grown this for years and got my original plant from a seed from a (late) friend in Houston who got the seed from a (late) friend of his that obtained his seed in Brazil. It is forficata (w/ thorns) and is cold hardy. I've grown it in Dallas for years, although it froze back in 2011 & 2013, then quickly regrew in the spring. I like that it blooms from May until we get a hard freeze. The seed has been easy to germinate.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    7 years ago

Thanks for everything. So glad to see familiar and new faces. Looking forward to planting everything tomorrow. Hope to see everyone in the fall.

• bluegirl_gw
    7 years ago

Great to see you all on such a nice day!

Lorelei, thank you for securing the park another year--it's perfect, isn't it? and thank you for the liatris seedling, native blue aster & for the water celery. It's a great plant for keeping water clean for the goldies.

Mamachile & Mike--ah, refreshments--thank you ;-) My Dad loved visiting with you.

Yvette & family--thank you for the purple bearded iris. Heck, I didn't read your shirts--sounds like a neat place.

Leapingfrog--love the hornwort & yellow Louisiana iris--please remind me next fall & I'll bring you some of the purple & a lovely plum colored one that were given to me.

Patty--always enjoy your pics & commentary, along with the visiting. Thank you for the alstroemeria--wow, what a huge bucket full.

Sheila--always a pleasure to share your enthusiasm. Thank you for the lamb's quarters. I know I'll never run out :-D I never noticed that the blush part on top will rub off to make a natural rouge.

Tally--thank you for the crinums & "African hoya"--you always have the neatest things. Hope y'all's trip is lots of fun.

Matt--thank you for the neat Ichang lemon & hardy Bauhinia & historic Cramoisi Superieur. Oh, & the very unusual tradescantia--how cool! And the hard Dicksia (how is that spelled? I know that's not right) Ya SEE Omar? this is what happens when you don't come. That'll larn ya, yukyuk. I have you a bucket of Ragna's Country Girl mums.

HoneyBunny--happy Birthday! so good to see you! And Ragna, dear! Happy Anniversary! You get well & come in October, even if just to visit.

I'm surely leaving things & people out, but so happy to see you all again & thank you for the great plants & fellowship. Happy planting tomorrow :-D

loreleicomal thanked bluegirl_gw
  • bluegirl_gw
    7 years ago

Mike, Dad discussing schooldays, Miriam

Kirt, Yvette & Matt--wow, that's dedication, coming to a swap & hauling all that stuff with your arm in a sling! Get well soon, Matt.

Hmmm, looks like Lorelei's back, Bettina & little Buster, Elisa, Tally, (with Keith behind), Sheila & Jim.

Tally & Jim, Lauren & Joey, Matt.

• mamachile
    7 years ago
    Another beautiful Saturday at the swap. Thank you Lorelei for securing the venue and thank you all for the stuff we brought home.

Patty, those metal stuff are awesome. I love them. Yay. And yes that lovely grass, Alisa's gem! Thank you.

See you guys in the fall.
  • loreleicomal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A wonderful time and I'm exhausted planting everything I swore I wasn't going to come home with! Barbara's the one who makes the reservations! I just make sure she has the money and the date. Nice meeting some of the newcomers and the old timers and thank you to those who come from such a long way away from home! And we missed some of you regulars, too!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    7 years ago

Great to see the pictures. I missed all of you and I will hopefully be at the fall swap. I am a planting fool with a bunch of natives that I am growing from seed. ... so any extra will be there in the fall if I don't kill them over the summer.

• mamachile
    7 years ago
    Yes, thank you Barbara and happy birthday!
  • Vulture61
    7 years ago

Bluegirl, so where are my Country Girl mums? So you ended up with MY BF? Not fair. :p

Matt, thank you for the info. Didn't I get some oxalis from you last fall?

Omar

• bluegirl_gw
    7 years ago

DYCKIA. DYCKIA. DYCKIA.

Omar, I brought them home, as I wasn't sure who to leave them with. If you come through SA or whatever, I'll meet you. Or I can bare-root them & mail, if you'd like.

YOUR Bauhinia? I beg to differ, sir. If you ask me nicely, I'll plant seeds, first time it blooms. You've been around enough to KNOW not to miss swaps, as something cool you've always wanted can just show up!

• Vulture61
    7 years ago

:( My bad. I forgot to follow up on that. Yeah, I know, but I also know I would have come back home with a zillions of plants I don't need. Oh, well!

Omar

• sewnmom7
    7 years ago

to all the wonderful "plant people", my first time there ,and of course I was late , but it was a wonderful 10 min...Thanks for the pics, maybe I can put faces to the people.. I did come home with a tree, kinda bushey,do not remember the name of the tree or person, or anything about it but its makin me happy does anyone know what it is??? I live in an apt right now and their already unhappy w/ me my patio is covered . I have to take my plants to daughters, Taking the chance on not getting 'em back ....Just saying my sister {Mary from Odessa] & I so enjoyed the new experience, will for sure be back......molly -sewnmom

sister just called has a new lady to come in Sept ..

• castro_gardener
    7 years ago

Molly, could you put a picture of the tree here and we can ID it for you ? Yes, please do come back. Over the years we seem to have gotten all the swapping down to a short period of time and those who come a little late miss out on so much. Our swaps used to be longer when we shared lunch and prizes.

• gardenlover1
    7 years ago

It was good seeing you all. Thank you for the wonderful plants. Hmmm..... Patty, How come I missed to be in your pictures.... May be next time.

dstartz: I missed your malabar spinach. If we can meet some where, please send me a message.

• sewnmom7
    7 years ago

gardenlover, me too, I really wanted that Malabar...or mail is ok if plants can survive trip...molly ps. found name of tree{?} a jasmine thanks tho...mp

• darlenegalindo
    7 years ago

Looks like everyone had a great time. I wish I could have gone. Matt, whereabouts in Dallas are you located? I'm in Mesquite. Maybe we could trade sometime.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    7 years ago

Hi Darlene- my place in Dallas is located in North Oakcliff. I live in San Marcos full time and I'm in Dallas occasionally. I'd be glad to meet up w/ you sometime when I'm there. My yard, er property in Dallas is stuffed full of plants.

• darlenegalindo
    7 years ago

Matt, let me know the next time you are in town and maybe we can get together and trade.

• castro_gardener
    7 years ago

Not that it matters, but wanted to correct the fact that Tally comes from Galveston, not Beaumont. don't know why I typed Beaumont.

• sewnmom7
    6 years ago

Anyone, can someone tell me who had the grass that looked like big hair.. Thanks so much....molly

• castro_gardener
    6 years ago

Going through the lists above it looks like Lisa (SouthofSA) brought Mexican feather grass, if that's what you mean, Molly.

• southofsa
    6 years ago

It does kind of look like big Texas hair, doesn't it Molly? lol. If anyone ever wants some, I have plenty.

Lisa

• shellshok
    6 years ago

Happy to say mine is still alive probably just jinxed myself lol

• southofsa
    6 years ago

Awesome Shell! I was just looking at mine this weekend and wondering if yours had survived. When it gets super hot, it'll get mostly brown, but that's when it sends out seeds for the next go round. After that, you'll always have some.

Lisa

• sewnmom7
    6 years ago

southofsa, well if you have plenty, will you share ....again? I just loved the look but mine looks dead. I don't mind coming to get it, if ya'll share..molly

• southofsa
    6 years ago

Sure, happy to. I'm out of town for a week, but will be back by next weekend. Email me at pinkyandbrutus at gmail dot com and we can figure out when.

Lisa