SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamereone

Aphid control: drastic pruning, where to cut?

kamereone
7 years ago

Taken in three sad pepper plants.

only natural light via eastern window since they came in for winter.

inconsistent watering

likely some nutrient deficiencies

and a hefty case of aphids

supposedly past attempts at eradication using a pepper/garlic/soap mixture after rinsing with a showerhead were relatively successful, but failure to keep up with treatments allowed them to resurge, eventually leading to declaration of defeat shortly before the holidays, and they've been ignored since.

I'm a bit more stubborn, so the (now quite dehydrated) pots went straight to the showers for an aggressive rinsing and removal of the dead leaves.

Less than 24 hours later, and the little buggers are back with a vengeance, in better health than before!

while I'd live to play cat and mouse and resume spraying every other day (eh, not really!), I'm leaving the country in less than three weeks and can't expect the house-sitter to continue the routine for the two weeks I'm gone.

plan is to trim all the worst infested (primarily new) growth and do daily showers and spraying with a soapy MG mixture seasoned with garlic oil and powdered hot pepper for good measure. Low fan at all times for circulation and to dry foliage.

after a week, stop treatments, and see if / how quickly the population recovers, which I suspect it will.

so, I'm considering an alternate route: Drastic pruning, and repotting with fresh potting soil.

I've seen some aggressive cut backs by folks making bonsai peppers (bonchi a la fatalii) and would like some advice on where would be the best places for pruning cuts should I have to go this route.

thanks!

- K

Comments (15)

Sponsored