SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thaasjr

kitchen design help needed

Tom
7 years ago

I need to get this kitchen layout nailed down so I can start electrical and plumbing. I've had a general idea of how I thought things should be laid out from the beginning home design phase. I am not a kitchen designer nor a cook so keep that in mind. I met with a custom cabinet company the other night and they suggested that I put the refrigerator in the back corner at an angle. We have given this consideration but have concerns of doors not opening all the way, crisper drawers being hard to access, etc. It seems that no one puts them at an angle in the corner and most don't recommend it. I also believe that putting it on the end as I had originally proposed keeps the traffic (3 small kids) out of the heart of the kitchen. I see lots of trips to the fridge from the dinette and deck area. Immediately behind this kitchen area is the family entrance from the garage. I am putting a bench and some shelves along the whole length of this. I can build a double wall to recess the refrigerator some. I could even design the bench and cabinets around a deeper recess area. I would like to not push the island any further than 4 ft from the counter as it will start encroaching on the living room. I drew up a pic but not sure it will upload. Here goes...

Comments (50)

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK, what's the trick? I scanned it and saved as a PDF. When I go to attach it through the photo button it won't attach. I've put a pic on here before so just need a memory jog! thanks

• jmarino19
    7 years ago

I don't think pdf works, at least it used to not work. I think there is a FAQ pape that should help.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Design Help Needed - my Mom's Kitchen

Q

Comments (39)
    I can't imagine that putting a door to the DR would be very expensive--it's a DIY project if ANYONE in the family could do it in a weekend. The two houses I've dealt with that had pass thrus to the DR drove me nuts. It would be so much nicer to have a door there! That, and having a 1/2 bath would be absolutely top priorities for me, but the 1/2 bath could add more cost than she might be able to pay for. If you use a small corner sink, the pocket door will be fine. Since she wants electric, I would STRONGLY encourage her to look at the positives of induction, and get a range with an induction top. It is SO much better than regular electric--easier to clean, much safer, absolute and immediate control of temperature, boils water faster, doesn't heat up kitchen, it's energy efficient, etc. My induction cooktop is by far our favorite feature of our kitchen! Even though it cost more than we'd planned on, it was definitely worth it. It's not that difficult to learn how to use. (I'm only a few years younger than she is, and I don't usually like learning how to use new stuff, but this was easy.) Of course, that might mean new pans, but maybe the family could go together for a present of one of the more inexpensive sets that works with induction. Also, you may have the extra expense of running electrical to accommodate the induction, but from a safety standpoint alone, it might be worth it to have the induction. It seems like plan #8 might work best, especially if you switch the double sink with the prep sink. That way, your mother could also use the prep sink (make it a large one) to work with her plants easily, since it would be right by the back door. Also, this end of the kitchen could have her tea materials, beverage cups and glasses for the rest of the family, the MW, toaster oven, and she'd have the large window view and lots of natural light to do these pleasant daily tasks. The double sink under the smaller window would put it, the DW, and the dishes closer to the DR. If she wants more storage, I'd get rid of the curved upper shelves (in one of your plans) by the smaller window, and add 3-6" to each upper cabinet, unless she has lots of knick-knacks that she wants to reach up and dust as she gets older. Obviously, an island would give her more storage than a table. If you make the island 36" w x 48" l, you could have two 24" wide cabinets opposite the range, and a 12" deep "table" overhang on the dog dish side. Anne
    ...See More

Kitchen Design Help Needed

Q

Comments (5)
    What are you doing with the cabinetry? Can be hard to match whites, to each other or to cabinetry, which could mean that stainless will give you more choice. Also better for resale, which might or might not matter to you. No strict right answer here. Meantime: no hood over that giant gas stove? you trying to off your family?
    ...See More

Kitchen design help needed please!

Q

Comments (5)
    A pantry where people sit makes no sense at all.Could we see some pics of the space and if you are going to post a floor plan it needs to be scaled .I think if you need storage that could easily be accomplished if you just eat in the DR or add a couple of stools to the island.FYI cabinet stores just want to sell cabinets you need an actual KD to get the best out of this space.
    ...See More

Kitchen design help needed

Q

Comments (4)
    My idea, on a grid: If you don't want to cover the vent beside the door, you can use open shelves there, too. If you use a microwave, it could be housed on an open shelf or incorporated into one of the shallow pantry cabs. Narrow pull-out pantry/instructables for DIY You might consider pulling the cabinets on the fridge wall out to make the full-depth fridge look built in (unless you plan to replace it with a counter-depth model). That would give you deeper counters, but would make the short run of cabinets 6" shorter. GW discussions--deeper counters ETA plan with fridge on the opposite wall, sink centered on window. I like the clean-up zone and dish storage outside the prep triangle:
    ...See More
  • ck_squared
    7 years ago

save it as a jpeg

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. I like the layout but there are a few things that we know that we want, don't want. We do not want the sink on the perimeter counter facing a wall with no windows. I've already hashed this one out and we've concluded that it will go in the island. I don't think I can get away with an island much deeper than 40-41 inches. I want to maintain a 4 ft walkway between the back of the island and where the living room would technically begin. I asked the cabinet maker about putting the microwave in a drawer and he said that code won't allow it. I don't think that I would want a bar stool at the far end of the island as this will be a walkway. The island will be all one level. I was also told that we can't do more than a 12 inch overhang with a granite top. I don't know if I believe that. We are not opposed to putting the microwave over the range if need be. Just kind of thought it looks a little nicer built in somewhere. thx again.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Perhaps you and the cabinet maker aren't familiar with the Sharp Microwave Drawer? It should pass code pretty much everywhere.

Keep in mind that by placing the cleanup sink in the island, this will force you to either prep with your backs to the rest of the house most of the time, or to squish your work to one side of the sink while trying to chop, mix, etc. (and hopefully you don't have to clear any dishes out of the way because they landed next to the sink.)

Before committing to a double sink, please do some research on GW about single bowl sinks. Many of us have switched and strongly prefer their versatility. A Koehler Stages sink might work well in this case, but they are spendy.

Yes, you can do a deeper than 12" overhang. It will need supports, and there are a few different ways of approaching that; you'll find valuable info in the archives on the options.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I never thought of a single sink. I like the idea and it frees up a little more counter space. We could off set the sink to one side or the other to give a little more prep space on one given side of the sink. As it stands now we would have about 3 ft per side with the sink centered.

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

Over the range is about the worst place for a MW, and a last resort for folks who have tiny kitchens, and no other options. Not only is it difficult to use a MW so high up (especially if you're short, like me), it's tough to use it if someone else is cooking at the stove. Second, exhaust fans in MWs are pretty pitiful. Putting the MW elsewhere allows you to have a functional exhaust fan - and if you've never had one, you don't know the joy you are missing!

Drawer MWs are expensive, and I didn't have room for it. I got a cute little Whirlpool unit that has a curved back, so it tucks neatly into the corner (on the counter). It serves our purposes just fine.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We could off set the sink to one side or the other to give a little more prep space on one given side of the sink. As it stands now we would have about 3 ft per side with the sink centered.

Centered sinks look really nice from a symmetry standpoint, but you'll get much better function with an offset sink. In the kitchen of our previous home, I had the "luxury" of having a 7' island with no sink in it for a while before we put in the (prep) sink hole. I used painters tape to mark off where I thought I wanted the sink. I ended up being really glad for the sink installation delay. At first, I thought I wanted the sink centered so that we would have work space on either side, but that "divider" in the middle of my island made me batty. One day I ripped off the tape, offset the sink outline over to the right, and suddenly my island was useful and functional. That delay saved me from ruining a nice big work surface with a hole in the middle.

Do you use a drainer to air dry dishes? Some use them, other use the microfiber or silicone mats, and still others throw everything in the DW. You might want to get a built in soap dispenser, and maybe a Never MT soap dispenser kit so that you don't have to refill the soap as often. You could have tilt down trays on the front of the sink cabinet to hold scrub brushes, etc. Try to plan for how to keep the island clearer. Sinks are collectors.

I got a cute little Whirlpool unit that has a curved back, so it tucks neatly into the corner (on the counter). It serves our purposes just fine.

AnnKH, could you share a picture of this? I've been considering this MW for our kitchen! The online review pictures seem to be super closeup, but I'd like to see a picture from a little farther back. Where did you get yours?

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

I bought it from a local appliance store in 2013. It's small, so I brought a plate with me to the store to make sure it would fit inside (it did). We use the MW mostly for reheating leftovers or steaming veggies, so we didn't need anything bigger or more powerful.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Thank you, AnnKH. That's very helpful. : )

Back to the OP's thread...

• Buehl
    7 years ago

While 36" is the bare minimum for workspace, in reality, 42" is much, much better - unless you don't cook much, then the 36" will be fine.

I guess if you're OK with all your dirty dishes on display/a focal point and constantly being in the way when you need to prepare a meal or snack, then ok...I know it would drive me crazy to never have enough workspace where it's needed most.

Be aware that all that counterspace on the perimeter is going to be wasted since there's no water available to make it useful.

You're GC either doesn't really understand what a "drawer MW" is or he doesn't want to do it. (That's one of their tactics when they don't want to do something. The other is to grossly overprice it to get you to say no.)

You can definitely do a 15" overhang. Yes, you will need support for the overhang, but you will need it for a 12" overhang as well. (With 3cm stone, you will need it for anything over 10"; 2cm needs out for anything over 6".)

The minimum recommended overhang for counter-height seating is 15". 12" is for bar-height.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll be honest, I don't cook much. My wife does the cooking and although she does prepare some nice meals, its not exactly her passion. I don't see dirty dishes being piled in the sink with a dish washer but maybe I'm wrong. I've never had a dishwasher so we do occasionally have dishes in the sink now. I figured once we get a dishwasher dirty dishes would be put in that. I could be wrong. It seems like a lot of people put the sinks in the island but maybe its not the best place for it. I am my general contractor and I did not know what a microwave drawer was. Now that I do I will look into them a little more. I think the cabinet guy I spoke to said that they can not be enclosed in a cupboard. I may have misunderstood him all together. I will talk to a counter top company about the overhang. If I need support either way I should probably go to 15 inch. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A couple questions before I nail this down. I may center the sink in the island and go with a 30 inch wide single sink. I would put the dishwasher to the left of this. The range would then go on the opposite counter.

Would you put the range directly behind the dishwasher or slide it down further so the doors wouldn't interfere if they were both opened at the same time?

Would you put the trash next to the dishwasher or on the other side across from the refigerator?

Would doing a double wall allowing an extra 3.5 inches of depth behind the refrigerator be enough to give me a built in look?

Thank you

• cpartist
    7 years ago

You're missing the point of what buehl did.

She put the cleanup sink on the perimeter. You spend only about 10% of your time at the cleanup sink.

You'll spend the majority of your time (70%) at the prep sink which she put on the island. Having two sinks means you won't have someone cleaning up and bumping into someone trying to prep. So do you really need the cleanup sink where you'll spend very little time in front of the window?

Plus if you have kids, you'll now have multiple work zones as she shows.

Lastly, in your layout, you'll be prepping in a small area because to prep, you need a water source. All that extra counter space will not be used, whereas in buehl's layout, all the counters will be utilized with those two generous prep zones.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

One last thought. You said you don't cook and your wife doesn't have a passion for it. Maybe if you design and build her a kitchen that functions as well as the design buehl came up with for you, she would discover she enjoys cooking more. Or maybe you'll decide you might like to try cooking yourself? Or maybe the two of you will cook together more since you'll then have two prep areas.

There is nothing more frustrating than having to cook in a dysfunctional kitchen.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Everything cpartist just said are thoughts I've had about this plan, too. Beuhl has designed a kitchen for you that will work like a well oiled machine, it's a dream design. You have the space and the opportunity to make a phenomenally functional kitchen, and we hope you'll use it to the best advantage. So many on here have to work with some form of dysfunctional layout woe in their spaces, but you don't have to have that issue.

I know it seems strange to not have a window over the sink, but there are nice ways of dealing with this. It's been discussed on here in past threads, and people have come up with good looking solutions.

Most dishes get tossed in the dishwasher, which means you are bent over and not really looking out the window while doing this task. If you want to look out at the room while washing the hand washable items, you could still do this at the island prep sink, if you'd like.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree that the kitchen design Beuhl laid out for me is very nice. I have spent some time considering it. Unfortunately I don't think I have the space for it. Under this layout the island chairs stick out to within 2 feet of where I may have living furniture. I would like to keep a 4 ft walk way behind the island.

I just don't see the value of the added cost of having to plumb and purchase 2 sinks for us. I know that some people love them but I don't think it is necessary for us.

I looked into the drawer microwaves and those are slick. They are significantly more expensive than a cabinet mount unit and it doesnt fit in our budget.

We rediscussed where to put the sink and just feel that it will work best for us in the island. I do think we will do a single sink after looking into someones suggestion on here.

So knowing that I will keep the refrigerator in current proposed location and have a 30ish inch wide single sink in the island how would you suggest I lay out the rest of the appliances? For spacing issues I will not have any more than a 48 inch space between back counter and island and I don't think I can accommodate an island wider than 41 inches. I believe this would give me a 15 inch overhang.

Again, I hope you don't feel I am not considering your suggestions. I do value them but ultimately need to come up with something that we both agree on and works for the space we have.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

Where does your LR furniture start? It looks like you have plenty of space b/f the LR furniture would start. I'm assuming your furniture is not in front of the stairs...

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

hopefully this gives a better idea of my layout. The furniture may be able to be shoved forward some but it just made sense to keep the natural walkway in the kitchen.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I'm not following how your layout will differ except that you have a large sink centered on the island which will cut the amount of prep space you have. You will have lots and lots of perimeter counter space which I can promise will not be used. Why? Because you don't have a water source. We work from taking food out of the fridge, bringing it to our water source to clean, then prepping next to the sink before finally bringing it to where we cook.

BTW: You can buy a quality prep sink for about $200. Add in a faucet and for under $500 you have a second prep zone. If you have children, you'll be happy to have the dual spaces.

And based on your drawing, your living room furniture should be closer to the TV.

Frankly with the kitchen you are proposing, you could save a fortune by instead just having the island and the perimeter counter along the back wall. Forget the L part because it won't be used and you'll save on counters and cabinets. Then at least you could make your island a bit longer so you have a bit more prep space on the island.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The more I look at the proposed layout the more I like it. I would need to make a few changes to it to fit better I believe.

If I were to not use a microwave drawer in the island where would you propose putting it in this layout? By removing this drawer I would be able to put more seats along the back of the island? Would this allow me to shrink up the depth of the island a little bit and still have it function well?

Why are the cabinet 31.5 inch deep along the one wall. I thought most are around 25 inches to the front of the counter.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

As buehl said, "The deeper counters provide more workspace as well as gives you space behind the sink for cleaning and any faucet you want (some faucets have handles and/or spouts that can be too big for a sink against a wall.)"

If you prefer to only make them 25" deep, you can cut them back and do so. Either will be fine. It's personal preference.

I'd move the chair on the side to the rear, and then put the MW opposite the fridge.

I didn't do it but if you're concerned about the depth of the island, with the chairs in back you can now go back to a 42" deep island. (24" cabinet + 15" overhang for seating = 39" + 1 1/2" overhang on sink side = 42")

Honestly, I think you'll find this layout a joy to cook in. I'm one who personally doesn't love to cook, but the one kitchen I had many years ago that was well laid out was actually fun to cook in.

• caligirl5
    7 years ago

I like cpartist's option. If you don't want the MW drawer, I think it would be fine most anywhere in the uppers or on the counter. I use mine all the time in cooking and reheating food, so I would put it on a shelf on the range/fridge wall. But I think other areas would work depending on your storage plan and how often you use the microwave.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

"42" deep island. (24" cabinet + 15" overhang for seating = 39" + 1 1/2" overhang on sink side = 42")"

Actually, it's:

1.5" overhang on the sink side +

24" deep cabinets +

1" decorative door or end panel on the backs of the cabinets +

15" seating overhang

===================

41.5" ... rounded up to 42"

(Just commenting in case Tom wondered why it didn't add up to 42")

The reason I put the MW where I did was to get it out of the Prep Zone. But, it could very easily go where CPArtist put it...but I would probably face it out to the side so someone using it does not get in the way of someone working at the island.

If you eliminate the 12" deep cabinets in the back, you gain another foot b/w the Living Room and island.

Standard counter depths are 25.5"

• 24" deep base cabinet + 1.5" counter overhang = 25.5"

Note that cabinet depth only includes the cabinet box, not the doors/drawer fronts. Doors and drawer fronts are 3/4" to 1" thick and when they're placed on the cabinets or drawer boxes, they sit 1/4" or so in front of the cabinet and drawer boxes - so figure 25" for cabinet + door/drawer box. Then, there's the hardware - knobs & pulls stick out another inch or so.

Counter overhangs are designed to cover the doors & drawer fronts + most, if not all, of the hardware. This prevents spills from dripping into the inside of the cabinets & drawers and/or down the outside of the doors & drawer fronts.

Inset are an exception - the doors & drawer fronts are inset into the box, so you lose some storage space but the overhang probably only needs to be 1" or so.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

You have several options for the microwave. You could put a standard MW on a shelf in the island. This works, but it is rather low, especially if you are tall.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

It could go in an upper between the fridge and range, or in an upper on the right end of the run on the sink wall. MW on shelves, pictures The trick is finding a shallow microwave since most are deeper than 12".

It could set it on the counter at the far end from the sink. Or, it could go in the corner like the one upthread.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

how deep of an island would I need to have in order to put an overhang and position a chair at the end?

I laid some things out today and decided that I don't want the island sticking out beyond 8 ft of the rear counter. This would give me a 4 ft walk way, 4 ft deep island, or any combination of to come up to 8.

Also think that if I am going to have potential seating at the end I wouldn't want the island to protrude all the way out to even with the refrigerator cabinet end. Might want to bring it in a foot or so to give some room for traffic. I think the original drawing I put on here was slightly more generous on space in this area than I actually have after measuring today. I could shorten the island some or steal some space out of the 31.5 inch deep counters/ walkway.

thoughts?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Can we get exact measurements?

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

there is 1 foot less space between the end of the fridge and pantry wall. Looks like I had an extra block in there. every thing else is correct. The wall behind the fridge is not built yet. I can build that to whatever length I need once I nail down my design.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

Like this?

(See end of post for the entire Dinette side.)

What did I change?

• I cut & pasted to fix the width/length of the bottom wall by 12".
    • I reduced the sink wall by 3" to make those counters 28.5" deep. They're still 3" deeper than standard (they were 6" deeper). You still have a bit of extra depth for room behind the sink (for cleaning and faucet) and for room in front of your face while standing at the sink.
    • I reduced the aisles overall:
      -- Between island and range, the aisle is 45". I would have rather had 3 more inches for a two or more person work aisle, but you put on the constraints that the back edge of the island could not be more than 8' from the counter edge -AND- you wanted a seat on the end -AND- you not only had a mis-measurement on the length of the bottom wall, but you also didn't want the island to extend all the way to the end of the refrigerator. This forced the shallower aisle b/w the range & counter and a much shorter island overall - I think the island is a bit small for the scale of the Kitchen, but to meet all your constraints, that's what you have.
      Note that this resulted in an aisle over 8' wide b/w the island and table in the Dinette and over a 7' aisle b/w the corner of the island and the wall corner b/w the Dinette and Living Room - assuming your other measurements are correct. That is a rather excessive aisle width, even with the Mudroom door. You could add another foot or two to the island to improve the scale of the island.
      -- Between the sink wall and the island, the aisle is 48". This is sufficient for a two-person work aisle and now that the MW is out of that aisle, I think it's fine.
    • The MW was moved to the end of the island. Because the aisle b/w the refrigerator and island is now only 39" (even with the refrigerator recessed into the back wall), you don't have room for the refrigerator and MW to open into each other - so it's facing out the end. This is so you don't have a bottleneck in front of the refrigerator and to keep outsiders out from underfoot when someone is trying to prep at the island. You have more than enough room for it to face that direction!

Dinette end:

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks buehl! The wall behind the refrigerator is not constructed so I can leave that at its prior length if you see a reason to. That will still leave a good 4 foot walk way from the rear mud room area into the kitchen. If I pull the microwave out of the island will that allow me to narrow the island depth some? I could utilize this room for isle width. I do agree that I want the island to be at least 8 feet. I know it is not a fan favorite, but I am leaning towards just putting the microwave above the stove. It seems like a logical spot for it to work with the flow of things and will help off set some of the cost of these other add ons by eliminating an expensive hood. Thanks again.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

No, the reason the island is the depth it is is b/c of the seat on the end.

1.5" counter overhang on the front of the island +

24" deep cabinets +

1" decorative door/end panel on the back of the cabinet +

24" for the seat

============

50.5" depth island (rounded to 51")

The above is based on the constraints posed for Layout #2.

Now that one constraint has been relaxed - the bottom/refrigerator wall can be longer/wider - the island can be changed to still allow the MW drawer and one seat on the end and the shallower island.

The island is now 9" shallower.

I added 3" to the aisle b/w the island and range wall and offset the MW drawer and refrigerator so someone can now use the MW without creating a bottleneck in front of the refrigerator.

The net effect of these changes is that the island is now inside the Kitchen another 6". I wouldn't do any more than that. You have plenty of room b/w the island and the LR furniture it looks to be around 5'.

(You might take CPArtist's advice and be sure you arrange your LR furniture for optimal use - visiting/conversation, viewing TV, etc. When furniture is too spread out, it tends to encourage isolation, not family bonding or community - the opposite of what a Living/Family Room is all about.)

The island & seating still do not extend past the refrigerator and you still have generous aisles b/w the Dinette table & island and b/w the LR/Dinette corner & island. [In these situations, the minimum I recommend is 60" (5') b/w table & island and 48" b/w corner and island - both aisles are much more than those minimums!]

Zone Map:

Dinette End:

Regarding the OTR MW - that's something that should ONLY be used in a tiny Kitchen that absolutely does not have any room for a MW anywhere else - and that's a rare Kitchen. Your Kitchen is far, far from that, it's actually bordering on large! OTR MWs are lousy hoods and only marginal MWs!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Buehl, this is even better. Tom you couldn't have paid for better advice. I highly recommend this layout and once you execute it and start cooking in it, please come back and let us know how you both like it. ;)

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My wife and I like it a lot. Thanks for the time to put it together. We will work with some cabinet builders in the next couple weeks and hopefully get something locked in.

Just a slightly off topic question, but I noticed the dinette table is not centered in the dinette space in buehls layouts. The reason Im asking is I mounted my electrical box in the center of the ceiling for the chandelier. Would it be better to not center the table in this space? I assume the chandelier should go over the table? or stay centered with the room and 108 inch window I have in there?

• Buehl
    7 years ago

The table is not centered b/c you need aisle/walking space around the table.

Top aisle is 48" b/c there is a door to the deck there. I actually would have preferred another 3 to 6 inches, but you don't have the length in the room.

Bottom aisle is 39" - the bare minimum is 32" to squeeze by - and I do mean squeeze! 44" is considered "walk by" when there's not much traffic in the aisle. Since it's just one seat on that end, I compromised with 39".

The right aisle is 48" - a more comfortable aisle overall. Since there are two seats on that side, I put 4" more than the "walk by" aisle width so there won't be any need to squeeze and to accommodate kids/teens - they have a tendency to "need" a bit more space to move around (ask me how I know! I have two who have just hit their 20s - they're more active and need more space!) It would also accommodate a high chair - if any of your children are still at that stage - without getting in the way of general traffic in the left aisle. You could reduce it to 45", but I wouldn't go any shallower.

Regarding the overhead light - yes, ideally it should be centered over the table, especially if you or any of your family is (or will be) tall.

When we redid our Kitchen & DR, I forgot to account for the move of the table based on needed aisles. Now we have a choice b/w centering the table on the light or leaving a semi-decent aisle b/w the table and the peninsula. Since we are a tall family, we center the table during mealtimes and then move it back other times. My DS is 6'7" & DH is 6'5", so they would hit their heads on the light getting up/down form a chair if the light wasn't centered!

You have the opportunity to fix it now, so I recommend fixing it! Determine the size of your table and go from there. I put in a 42-inch wide table, but you might have a narrower one. - they can range from 36" to 42" or more in width - but I recommend no less than 39". 42" is nice b/c it gives you plenty of room for legs w/o the constant "mom, his/her foot is touching my foot!" Plus a 42" table gives you enough room for place settings on each side and room in the middle for serving dishes.

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

I wonder if a 60 inch round table would work in the dinette area?

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was hoping to have the table and light centered on the large triple window i have there. Our current table is a square 54 by 54. I think my wife wants to replace it with a round table. I ll have to play around with it a bit. I would hate to center a chandelier on a table I may be using today that very well may change over the years. We wouldnt necessarily have to have seating around all sides of the table as we will have the island seating as well. Ill have to play around with it a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I met with another cabinet maker last week and think I know whom I am going to work with. I am going to meet with him this week but want to have this laid out as close as possible before I meet with him.

Ive decided not to do the microwave drawer. I have seen some pictures with the microwave sitting on a shelf next to the refrigerator. Not really built in. Just slid in to the opening. Would this be a good spot in my layout for the microwave? Is there enough room to put it there or do I need to move the oven down more. Not sure if moving it down would crowd the sink. thoughts???

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I assume you'd be using beuhl's last layout? If so, I think having the MW on a shelf next to the fridge would be fine. I don't think you'd need to move the oven down assuming you're not getting a huge MW.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yes, we do like beuhls last layout. I'm thinking it would be a 24 inch microwave.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i could stick it around the corner maybe next to the dishwasher. What would make most sense to you?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

What are you planning on putting in the upper cabinets next to the fridge? I personally like having the MW near the fridge and close to the stove since many times I'll take something like butter out (as an example), melt it in the MW and then use it when cooking.

Next to your DW and sink I'd think you'd want to put your dishes and glasses.

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I'll just put it by the fridge. I was also looking at under cabinet mount exhaust hoods. The ones I've seen exhaust from the top. Is my thinking correct that I'd have to exhaust it through the upper cabinet and then into the wall? If that's correct I may be better off with an exposed hood that exhaust straight up.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Regarding the exhaust hood question, I would ask in the appliance forum because they really know their appliances in that forum.

Here's a photo of a MW next to the fridge in an upper cabinet. Notice there's still room for a cabinet above for storing lesser used things. (Ignore the cooktop on the peninsula though)

Bend Bungalow · More Info

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks

• Tom
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Met with cabinet guy today and made alot of headway. I do however have some more questions!

I didn't realize that putting the microwave next to the refrigerator would require an extra deep cabinet here if I don't want it to jet out from the cabinet facia. Can I make this work with a standard 12 inch depth cabinet? Also, how wide should I make the microwave shelf cabinet? I believe most of the shelf microwaves are 24 inches but I need room for the door to open next to the refrigerator.

I did eliminate the coffee center as I needed some extra wall space on that end of the run. Planning on ending with the dish hutch. My wife wanted to do staggered tops across the cabinets. To make this work with his crown molding he had to bump out several cabinets which ended up making the dish hutch 18 inches deep. This leaves only 9 inches of counter in front of it. Is this going to be strange looking? Things are starting to look a little busy with all the ups and downs and jog outs. Thinking of just doing everything at one level or maybe just bumping up the fridge cabinet and the plate rack. Thoughts???

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

You could try this Microwave Link. It's still more $ than most countertop models, but it's less expensive than drawer ones. It's shallower than other microwaves and is a good candidate for that spot between the fridge and stove.

Doing different height cabinets is a personal choice. Sometimes all that up and down business reminds me of horses on a carousel, but ymmv. : ) I wouldn't want my dish hutch sticking out 18", but 15" would be tolerable.

Glad you're making progress!

• Tom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know this is a very late follow up but wanted to thank everyone who helped me out through this kitchen thread. I ended up using Buehls layout for the most part and after utilizing it for 7 months it works very well!

I love having an overhang on the end of the island for an additional seat. I use it a lot when we have guest over or just for dinners when I want to be able to face my kids who are lined up at the island. We ended up putting a prep sink in the island and a large one bin sink in the main cabinet run. It works very well. We did the microwave next to the refrigerator. We are not big time cooks but coming from our prior home this kitchen has an abundance of storage and cook/prep space. The walk ways around the island and counters are plenty wide enough and my concern for the spacing between the dining table and the island were a non issue. We did center the table and light on the room and I feel we have plenty of space on all sides of the table.

I would have followed up earlier but I wanted to include a couple pics and finally got around to doing my backsplash last week. I still have my crown molding that needs installed but Im 99% done! Thanks again for all the good advice, especially Buehl if your still here!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Wow it came out beautifully Tom. How wonderful and so glad it works well for you and your family.