SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pagan_

Calling all haworthians

Pagan
7 years ago

It's their time of the year, so I'll start...

Haworthia magnifica var nova aff splendens

Pagan

Comments (451)

• breton2
    7 years ago

Wow Jeff.........was this in Canada (guessing not) or have you been travelling?

And I have to ask, what plants did you eat???

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes, Jeff... do share your exploits and your gastronomic feast! And, do you plan on feeding me, too?!?!?!

• Related Discussions

Wally World "haul"

Q

Comments (10)
    The cactus pieces in the last picture are likely Mammillaria gracilis var. fragilis. The little knobblies break off the mother plant very easily, and are extremely easy to root. Just place them broken-side down on some barely moist gritty-type mix and wait. I misted mine about every two weeks, but I live in a very dry climate. They rooted in less than a month.
    ...See More

Calling all haworthians....continued

Q

Comments (307)
    One thing I can say about akadama: it talks! When it's dry, it screams it. When the top looks visibly dry, wait one day and it will be dry two inches down. This one on the left is another one of those that stays green even two inches from the bulbs (H. turgida var pallidifolia AL). On the right, Haworthia pygmaea var. pygmaea (JDV 8415 AL), turns reddish in about two weeks. Ooh, nice clump there, Miniotoro Ranimal.
    ...See More

Calling all haworthians....P3

Q

Comments (257)
    Ooof, that looks serious, Doc. I haven't seen that before. This is from indoor light straight into sun? I mean, what conditions can do this to a haworthia? I've scorched some before but never quite that badly. BTW, Conny! I want #9. These wimiis are something else. Someone else will have to chime in for you, Michael. I've never bought haworthia seeds. They take too long to show proof of provenance, I'm not sure I'll want anyone's seeds unless I know them personally, as well as their pollinating practice. But Mesa Garden sells some! And you're one of those people whose haworthias look like dessert! I want that~ It's getting long so let us continue here:
    ...See More

Haworthians Page 7

Q

Comments (304)
    In_awe - My 2xT5HO were 4" away from my plants. They did very well with 10000 lumens at that height. I do agree that lumens aren't a very good measure, lux/fc are better, and PAR is the best. One problem I find with a single number for measuring output is that light distribution with T5HO and LED lights is not uniform. Light distribution end to end and from center to sides is quite important to me because I have a limited grow area. My target light level is 24 PAR DLI for my high light succulents and 10 PAR DLI for my Haworthia. Roughly that's 1200-3000 fc, depending on the plant. Some of my Haworthia only need 250-500 fc. Required light levels differs significantly. In general, I've found truncata/emelyae/hard-leaved species to be quite resilient and take a lot of light. Obtusa/retusa are middlish. Picta and springbok don't like it too bright and marxii pretty much stay in the shade. I'm curious to hear other's experience with this! If you're looking to increase your light levels to get more colourful Haworthia, the two easiest ways are decreasing fixture height slightly or increasing the duration the are on. Pagan - Good luck with your experiment! If you don't already have a fc/lux meter, $10 on ebay is well worth it for purely relative light measurements. Nil - I already have a PAR meter and two lux meters (one is owned by my work), but for curiosity's sake I've contacted my local Apogee dealer to see how much they are charging for the SQ-520. Hopefully will hear back from them tomorrow. Think I need to do some more overtime to pay for all these toys!
    ...See More
  • breton2
    7 years ago

Thanks Kevin, that looks like a match!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Beth, I was thinking the same. Haworthia accumulate variegata.

• breton2
    7 years ago

Thanks Howard! I've a few more Haws needing ID confirmation, perhaps I'll post them here tonight. Or would people prefer I start a new thread?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

I like one stop shopping.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Me too. I think houzz is having a seizure though so good luck, Beth!

Hey I found out I snagged one of Renny's haworthias! Not one of the fancy ones, just one of the plants with unknown pedigree. I don't care!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Pic please when it arrives.

• breton2
    7 years ago

Ah, so I am not the only one having posting issues? Tried to post several photos, several times last night, to no avail and much frustration. Yet this one posted without any issues...

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Jeff - That's a pretty incredible collection. See lots of nice Haworthia there and even on the floor too?? The variegates in your second photo - very rare and pricey plants indeed. Maybe one day I will have one, haha.

Would love to see what you ended up getting! Actually, I want to see what everybody is getting. =)

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That was some serious glitch---I missed entire posts.

Jeff!! Whaddjaget! Those are the horse's teethiest truncatas, lined up that way. Some of my haworthias raise their roots too. I thought that was just my growing regimen.

Kevin, that was one of the best books I got last year. It's dense so I read it twice in case I missed anything (I did). I have a whole list if you want it, eh.

Photos when I get my haworthias. I got a few from AridLands as well.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

Beth,

It was in LBC - just west of the Coquitlam border. Just dim sum and camellia leaves from a special farm (tea). But they both asked me back, so I guess I didn't knock over too many plants.

Howard, it was delightful being there, but dim sum are not my thing (sensory disgust being strong). I like many other Chinese cuisines, but that one isn't my first choice, though I politely gagged it down. I had attended Vancouver's Desert Plant Society meeting (ironic for Vancouver, really, to have such a named club) the previous night and the Society's president gave the names of two collectors who share their collection with complete strangers, and the rest is history.

Kevin, even on the floor, indeed. One of the gentleman had added on an informal sun room in the back of his house - the aisle was less than two feet across with shelves on both walls extending up on five levels. His cramming with intense. Here he modestly pulls a Napoleon after Austerlitz. And while he has lots of Haws, his Mesemb and Stap collection are pretty wow, too.

Pagan,

I'm being good, and your help would be appreciated, in doing lots of built-up chores first before I mess around with TPOO. I'll get a pic for y'all soon of the nuggets brought home. And good for you!!! - both of these fellows have got stuff from Renny, and I think they've also both visited her.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

Root offsets ARE a thing.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Gee, thanks, Jeff. You made me brush up on my World History. Knowing how succulent growers tend to be, I bet he is closer to Qin Shi Huang.

Before you post your yummies, I'll just put up this completely non-haworthian photo to reset our palate, as it were.

Saccorhytus coronarious

• ConnyNL (The Netherlands, 8b)
    7 years ago

Right, that's it, I'm changing my schedule and catch a flight to YVR...

• Plantspace (5a)
    7 years ago

Pagan where do you find these things ? lol All I am seeing is rows upon rows of teeth....

Wow Jeff, that growing space is filled to the gills, and so many beautiful plants :)! Cant even imagine how much upkeep a collection of that size requires.

• breton2
    7 years ago

HEre are a few of mine I finally go around to photographing.

#1 H. coarctata

#2 a variegated attenuata

#3 Can't recall this one's name

4 or this one..maybes tortuosa?

5 a robust retusa type..the pup on the backs as been a stressed being jammed against a south facing window

6 this has been ID'd as pumila

7 supposed to be margaritifera, needs a bit more ligh that

8 can't recall this ones name at the moment ... It pups a lot!

9 no name on this one

• breton2
    7 years ago

And 10, one of those fat leaved ones..some kind of cymbiformis maybe . Blanking on its name and too lazy to go find it right now.. I need to updat/ replace myplant tags, a surprising number seem to be missing

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You grow them very well, Beth! I espy some truncatas and gasteria clumps in the background too. That #10 is fantastic! I did not know there were haworthias that grow that way. I hope you rediscover what it is.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Beth

Some amazing plants you have there - not only the new ones, but what is visible in the background too! And I like white pots...Are your plants on windowsills or shelves with lights or?...maybe you mentioned before but I do not remember...

• breton2
    7 years ago

Thanks Pagan! I find these stiff-leaved Haws so easy to grow, these have literally been siting in a west-facing window and watered once a month or so for several years. Some years they get outside for the summer, in the shade. Most started out as small plant sin 1-inch pots. And yes, there are a few truncatas and Gasterias back there! Maybe we should start a Gasteria thread...

Thanks Rina! The pots are the ones from the orchid place than Kevin told us about. I need to order more pots soon! Unfortunately they don't have white in larger than 3.5 inches wide, I think. Most of my Haws grow on windowsills, they are just under the lights for their photo shoot! I have 2 4-ft T5HOs running in winter for higher-light plants, giving me about 8 square feet of space. The lights really should be closer, but I am trying to maximize space ( there's about 70 plants jammed into those 8 feet). I really live in the wrong climate for this hobby!

happy growing,
    breton

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh man. If I had to live in the right climate for my hobby, I'd need houses in Madagascar, the Great Karoo, Namibia and the Chilean Andes lol

I think I'll just post photos of my four gasterias here since they are so closely related and I only have a few. I was going to suggest that Kevin start a mesembian thread because if I started it, it will have to be "Calling All Mesemburderers". Do I really need a parade of gorgeous plants to give me ideas of what to buy and kill!

• breton2
    7 years ago

haha Pagan, we've all killed a few (or more)!

• Christina Bay Area
    7 years ago

Still... I would love a mesemb thread.... :p

And speaking of starting in 1 in pots... I just received my h. cooperi truncata from Arid Lands Greenhouse. It's the smallest thing ever lol! It's about the size of a quarter.... Hope I don't kill it.

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Jeff - Awesome sunroom. I can see how serious it is because there are lights in addition to the windows. And that top shelf you can't even see!! Is that stepstool even tall enough? Haha. Really I am just jealous. =)

Pagan - Did you ever check the Haworthia Collector's Market? Renny sells many seedlings on there for around $30 USD. Most are unnamed seedlings a couple inches in diameter and some of them look nice.

Beth - Last one is Haworthia cymbiformis var obtusa. Nice mini clumping type. I like the coarctata with small leaves but can never grow them well. One or two leaves dry out and end up looking terrible.

Last week I spent some time correcting my tagging issues. A few got mixed up when I originally combo potted them and most are looking good enough for solid IDs. Good time to take overall progress photos. What do you use for your tags?

Those white pots are looking very good. Kind of wished I had gotten white pots for all of mine, but they hadn't started importing those at the time yet. With the square pots, it's so much easier to fit a large number of plants under lights.

Christina - Maybe we should have a Mesemb thread! Don't worry, many of us have Haworthia worth of 1" pots, haha.

Hmm... I haven't seen many speckled Haworthia yet. What do you all have? Wonder if anyone has any groenewaldii.

Haworthia dekenahii GM 326

Haworthia argenteo-maculosa CCO 138, VA 4538a

• breton2
    7 years ago

Thanks Kevin, that name sounds familiar! Any ideas on the other NOIDS?

I just use piece of old window blind cut to fit, and write on them in pencil with name, date obtained and last repotting date. I also makes the tags quite short so I can pouch them almost entirely into the soil, that way they don't snag each other (my grow area is very cramped) or scratch me. I am also loving the white spots, but wish they had 4 inch ones..

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I'm the only one using dessert cups then lol

The emelyae I have is kind of speckled, though not as visibly as the splendens at the top of this thread. You guys should get that one. It's very nice in person.

I think I'm good with just one of Renny's. Timing the bid was tricky and a game in itself. I had to come in when she had a lot of named plants on offer that the rich crazies can fight over while ignoring the nameless ones that are still unique-looking. So don't be giving me directions to another rabbit hole, Kevin. I'm trying to save for a better drill press!

BTW, Christina, that's the best way to start a cooperi x truncata---with no more than 5 to 7 leaves!

Coarctata is a water fiend! The only way I was able to grow it was to overpot it so it won't have to be watered more often than the others.

• breton2
    7 years ago

Haha Pagan, I've never been able to find suitable desert cups that weren't crazy expensive!

Funny, I haven't noticed that about the H. coarctata, it's potted the same as the others and gets watered when they do... Interesting.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

So we have speckles and groenewaldii today

Haworthia pygmaea argenteo-maculosa JVD 91/38

Haworthia picta v Tricolor GM 256

Haworthia mirabilis v splendens

Haworthia 'Red-Blue Select

Haworthia emelyae comptoniana x herbacae v lupula

Haworthia groenewaldii 'Gloria'

Haworthia groenewaldii 'Vivian Maier'

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That Vivian is glorious, Doc! Are you trying to get me to add more to my list, after I have narrowed it down to the last one?

Jeff! Where did you go? Did you get that toothy mutant one for yourself? I would have been tempted, despite being leery of the added trouble variegates tend to be.

• breton2
    7 years ago

Hi Howard

Nice plants! Any suggestions of what my Haw # 3 above might be?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Beth, I'm not that good at ID's. Do you follow the Facebook group, Succulentophiles? They are nice people and might be very helpful for an ID

• breton2
    7 years ago

No, Howard, but I will check them out! Thanks.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

I'm a member of this group as are many of the STC people. I don't know if I can add you but if you want to join and have a problem let me know.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Jeff, I, too, wonder if, after traveling from the backwoods of BC to the thriving metropolis of Vancouver and recovering from the perils of dim sum, you acquired any lovelies?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

One more speckled for Pagan...

Haworthia magnifica var nova aff splendens GM 320

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm glad I got this one, Doc. It's so speckled!

I got my Renny today, it's huge!! And check out those roots!

And also, for everyone who has done this before: are we pregnant?!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Pagan, you're more than just pregnant!!!!! I don't think I've ever had so many pods on a stem. Your method? Just FYI: You may want to "cover" those pods before they pop and you lose your precious seed. I use clear straws cut into small pieces.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just followed the steps you described in your thread earlier, Howard. Except, instead of clipping the pollen off with tweezers, I plucked the entire filament off from the male donor and then rubbed the anther directly onto the stigma of the female donor. It was mechanically easier than having to use to tweezers as a transfer agent. I had to remove Hodor from the room first, though.

Yay, future seeds! I have to get straws now, then.

• MrBlubs
    7 years ago

Here's another super un-HD camera phone flashed photo!

I believe I have acquired my second Haworthia! I believe it is turdiga.... I got it from a friend's plant and is quite small. I stuck it in with my attenuata for now. Will put it in its own pot when the weather warms up. Can't wait until it gets bigger and starts to pup.

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Pagan - I used to scavenge and beg for free pots. Often I would try to find good ones from the dollar store and drill them, but now I am able to get much higher quality pots for much cheaper and in large quantities. Most of the sturdy clear McDonalds cups I collected are now used for supporting pots or for taking water samples/etc.

Good work on pollination! I use the same technique - pull off the anther with tweezers and then brush them up against the stigma. The longer and more of the anther you pull out the easier it is to manipulate.

Beth - Sorry! I'm not so good at identifying those types. Most of the others I grow, so it makes IDs easier! They have a new set of large/deep white pots with side slits for root zone aeration, should already be in stock. I didn't get a chance to buy them yet myself (I only saw the limited samples) but plan to in the future.

For now I've given up on coarctata... the only really stacked plants I am growing now are the softer leaved Crassulas.

Howard - I knew those groenwaldii would be looking fantastic. Are they growing as slow as expected? They look so simple but have such a pleasing look to them. With the others you are growing too I may need to find more speckled Haworthia.

My magnifica GM 320 lost is roots and now recovering. Just a couple new ones growing in. I'll have to find my pygmaea JDV 91/38, hrm.

Do you tape the bottom of the straws? I would think the seed pods would start to split open and a few seeds may fall through. Or the straw is just small enough that the pod can't split enough to let them fall?

MrBlubs - Interested to see that one grow up. Keep us posted!

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So...how many seeds do you guys typically get from one pod? And how long does it take to mature? If you're not using the straw method, how do you secure your pods, Kevin?

I wouldn't recommend my pots to anyone---too many extra steps. I just happen to enjoy the extra steps. Also, I figured my haworthias are small and will be staying in those pots for years and years, they might as well look the way I want them to look.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Pagan Seed count for me varies and is most probably related to how well I applied the pollen to the stigma. It takes several weeks... maybe a couple of months. I have never really counted time.

If you don't want to use straws, just watch the pods. When the distal tip begins to splay open, you know they are ready to be picked. If you wait much longer, they will open like a pealed banana and your seed will be lost to never never land.

Kevin The groenewaldii are even slower! I am being especially careful watering because I don't know I could replace them. And, you are correct. The diameter of the straw prevents the pod from opening completely. When I see the top splitting , I remove the entire pod and collect the seed

• breton2
    7 years ago

Kevin,

Oooh, that is good to know ! I will likely be ordering more pots this spring. I just wish the shipping wasn't as much as the pots!

Interesting that people have issues with coarctata, mine is probably the lowest-maintenance plant I own, hasn't been repotted in years. Maybe the ID is wrong? I don't think it is tall enough to be reiwardtii. I haven't tried many stacked Crassulas, expect "Springtime" which didn't do well for me...

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Beth

Is yours H. coarcata or reinwardtii? They look alike (IIRC, some difference in thickness of leaves), just wondering...maybe you have photo?

• breton2
    7 years ago

Rina, it is posted above. I am not sure at all anymore.... it came labeled as "Succulent", of course..

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Beth

Thank you, I found it :) This thread is very loooong...mine is likely reinwardtii, photo posted about mid-thread (thinner leaves, more pointy). It pups easily.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beth's is definitely
    a coarctata. Reinwardtii has much more pronounced tubercles in both
    size and color. Coarctata is somewhat softer. In cultivation, the
    coarctata gets even less pronounced tubercles unless it is grown hard
    which, in turn, makes it look less plump and more, well, haggard.

The whole taxonomy is undergoing a bit of upheaval at the moment. Haworthias, haworthiopsis and tulista. I have to say, if it sticks, the change will be good. I already separate the hard and soft-leaf ones in my head anyway.

• breton2
    7 years ago

Rina, this thread is so long I have given up checking it on my phone or tablet!

Thanks Pagan! I am not sure I have ever seen a reinwardtii in person, actually, if this plant is not it!

Regarding the taxonomy, I was reviewing that site last night, and the changes make sense. May have to update some tags in the future!

• Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I guess we'll stop at the Bradbury Point then (which I just made up, there is no such thing lol). It's still only the beginning of spring so let's continue here?