SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

So, what's everybody got coming this spring??

bethnorcal9
7 years ago

I went over my list of outstanding rose orders, and I can't believe I ordered so many. I said I wasn't going to do so. But... I lost soooo many roses last yr for who-knows-what reason?? I have lots more room, plus I'm still working on several of the new beds. So... this probably will be my last big ordering season... (yeah how many times have I said that before??)

Anyway... here's my list of pending orders (so far):

Hortico:

CARDINAL SONG - had this one yrs ago

DIE WELT - replacement for my old one that died

GINGER - replacement...

GRAND IMPRESSION (MONET) - hopefully it'll be the right one this time...

GOOD LIFE

OVER THE MOON - replacement...

POLAR STAR

ROTARY SUNRISE - also hoping it'll be the right one this time...

------------------------------

Edmunds:

COLOR MAGIC - replacement for the previous replacement...

FRUITY PETALS

LOUISE HAY - replacement..

NEIL DIAMOND - replacement...

PEACH SWIRL

PRINCESS CHARLENE DE MONACO

VIOLET'S PRIDE

--------------------------------------

J&P:

FLAMENCO

ROYAL WELCOME

SRIRACHA

SURREAL

--------------------------------

Wisconsin Roses:

KRISTIN SINGER

MOHANA

SHEER JOY

SHUG

-------------------------------------

Roses Unlimited (may be adding to this one):

HEADLINER - replacement...

LIOLA

OSIRIA - replacement...

PINK MASTERPIECE - replacement...

TANYA - replacement....

-------------------------------

Rogue Valley Roses (backordered 2yrs now):

PAPI DELBARD

VICTORIANA - replacement

------------------------------------------

Ok then... I still haven't decided if I'm going to place an order with David Austin Roses. I lost a couple from last yr, but I just dunno if I really want to spend any more money or not. I also would love to try ordering from K&M Roses to see how theirs do here. Just haven't gotten the nerve up to do so yet. I'm afraid of the shipping cost!

So, what so you guys have on order this time around??

Comments (175)

• marymm2
    7 years ago

Sheila you might check Long Ago Roses. They have it on their rose list but I don't know if they have it in stock. Wondering if Cool Roses in Florida might have it.

Here are the best pictures I have seen of it. Mine look a lot like this.

http://sherryocala.blogspot.com/2011/12/general-gallieni.html

• altorama Ray
    7 years ago

I only have one new rose, New Dawn. But I did move some unhappy roses to different spots, Rosarium Utersen, Westerland, Captain Kid, Mary Rose, a species rose, CDC, Gerbe Rose, and a Geschwind rambler. So I am considering those as new roses so I don't feel left out.

• Related Discussions

What roses do you have coming this spring?

Q

Comments (61)
    I ordered to many, but it will be alright. I will say what I've just received from Burlington looking awesome! Smith parish denise cassegrain lullaby margo's baby mrs. charles bell mrs. herbert stevens souv. de brod sunshine tip top yvonne rabier calpoly carmela gourmet popcorn grace seward scarlet moss stars and stripes x-rated capitaine basroger mme. abel chatney mutabilis If anyone would like to comment on how any of these do for you I would love top hear it! High Country roses Minnie Pearl Mountain Mignonette Goethe Ferdinand Pichard Varieta di Bologna Hope everyone's orders are doing well!!! Still to receive From Linda at Long Ago roses I will be receiving next month or so Cardinal de Richelieu Indigo William Lobb Henri Martin Rogue Valley, which I believe ships out next week Duchesse de Montebello Louis Gimard Dainty Bess Pandemonium Plus my mystery and free rose which I chose Incantation a Paul Barden rose. I also have three coming from Roses Unlimited, maybe more, if I have the resource's to order more, she's rooting two for me, and one wouldn't be ready until August. They were: Occhi di Fata Edith de Murat ( ready in August) and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the other I will have to call :)
    ...See More

So where is everybody!!!

Q

Comments (20)
    I havae been so busy lately I had a terrible cold then midterms and my daughter was having an emotional crises (her favorite teacher at school passed away unexpectedly) my apologies Kylie, I missed that your sister ill. I will keep yall and gramsharon both in my prayers. I hope that everything gets semi-normal for everyone soon. Mary
    ...See More

thanks everybody!! I got it to work!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Great , sew up a storm, you are probably on the road to being a sewing addict! so glad you didn't have any problems getting the matter settled. best wishes rene
    ...See More

So, what's Spring springing on you now?

Q

Comments (19)
    @jim I cut it down because I've planted it in the wrong spot and it's been taking over my patio. It used to climb up the pillar but those canes seemed spent...so I'm trying to give it another shot. Hopefully I can train it back up the support for the patio and it will be glorious! It has a "mate" on the opposite side of the patio with a similar pillar, but it gets a little less sun. (And doesn't do as well) I've debated pulling the pair of them and giving them somewhere else to thrive...Hence the massive cut back! @straw Thank you so much for the compliments! I've really enjoyed your show-and-tells on fertilizer options!
    ...See More
  • countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    7 years ago

I am ordering things that have been on my wish list which is getting very short. I am only adding very very special roses to me. From Roses Unlimited: 2 Abracadabra, 2 Red Intuition ( saw these two on here and thought I would never find them locally) Plus Fragrant Memory and La Marne to replaced two that were very special to me. Of course I will be going to RU for Mother's Day Fest to pick them up and no telling what else may jump onto my cart.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Welcome back countrygirl! :-)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

So sorry Long Ago Roses doesn't ship to Oregon. Boo hoo! Marymm.

• marymm2
    7 years ago

Sheila I kind of got the feeling that she might. She said she would root some General Galieni. She said inner email that the concern is rose rosette disease which we don't have out here and also she has to do a lot of insecticide dipping for our western states. I would be willing to isolate a rose I really wanted. I think the chances are slim that it would have it. She is real quick to email back. I'm thinking of getting a second one and a coulee of other rare things she has.

• romogen
    7 years ago

Please don't bring Rose Rosette Disease into Oregon. It's not worth destroying your entire collection for one rose, as well as every body else's! Some might say the disease will eventually reach the West on its own. Perhaps, but by the time it takes to get here we might have found a cure.

General Gallieni is NOT a rare rose on the West Coast. It's in many collections, gardens, and cemeteries. Please ask around, I'm sure you can find one locally, or get cuttings.

7 years ago

Not disagreeing with anything else you said romogen, but General Gallieni is really impossible for me to find. I'm new to the area and Tea rose gardeners are not a dime a dozen that I know of. Obviously, I would never want to spread RRD.

• romogen
    7 years ago

Hmm, I'll keep an eye out for it for you. If worst comes to worst I will try rooting one if I run across it, but I can't promise it will strike.

Also, stating the obvious, but have you tried posting in the propagation forum?

7 years ago

No, I've never known that was an option for getting a rare rose. I just knew of buying them from nurseries. Do please keep your eye out, romogen. Thank you.

• marymm2
    7 years ago

I'd be happy to send you a cutting if I weren't breaking any rules about sending plant materials from Cali to Oregon. Googled it but didn't find anything. I'm active in my rose society so I could ask around. Don't know how successful that would be. My plant is in pretty great shape but I'm not a propagation expert.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    7 years ago

My order at ARE is:

Lafter

Quietness (Conrad Ferdinand Meyer sold out, and I had many subs listed)

Autumn Damask (Reine des Violettes sold out too)

My DAR order is supposed to arrive Monday, April 24.

Some of y'all's orders are very impressive! Woo!

I love when my roses arrive. It's better than Christmas!

Steven

7 years ago

Success! I called Roses Unlimited and they had General Gallieni! Thank you marymm for your kindness and generosity, and romegen also for same and for the disbelief of it being unavailable. I guess I'm not good at asking for help, because it was right here all the time. I really didn't realize what the propagation section of the Garden Web had to offer. I also don't really know any OGR people other than here on the web. RVR lists it , but it is never in stock. The RU website was such that a phone call was needed, because I was looking at the old website, which is not yet linked.

• marymm2
    7 years ago

Thank you Sheila. I too want to keep our nor-cal area free of RRD. I may add another General Gallieni to my garden so it's good to know RU has it. Mine is a little bit of a sprawly grower but it flowers all the time, even in the winter. Glad you found it. Hope you like it.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

I had kept true to my self-promise not to order any roses this year--because I'm out of good spots for roses and I really have more roses than I can easily take care of these days. So when a couple roses I love didn't survive the winter, I said it was fate and looked the other way.

Then yesterday I read this thread, and twenty-four hours later I have suddenly ordered two replacement Molineuxs and one replacement Mrs. John Laing. Wow--the prices for shipping are higher than for the roses! But suddenly, I just couldn't live with those empty spots in the garden from my lost roses--just had to replace them.

And I'm feeling so happy at finally having ordered a few roses. After all, a few is definitely better than none! LOL

Kate

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Kate - Yes! A few is better than none!! :) Those must be super roses, since you want to replace them. Any pictures??

Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

Here is Mrs. John Laing--a hybrid perpetual. So pretty when she blooms--quite vertical and narrow growing.

I'm quite partial to my Molineux, but they don't seem to survive my winters very well (though they are supposed to be hardy to Zone 5--and I'm 6). This is the second time I've had to replace 2 of them. They are kind of narrow also, so I usually plant 2 or 3 of them together to make one bigger and fuller bush.

I'm getting quite excited now that I broke down and ordered replacements.

Kate

7 years ago

Beauties, Kate! Great photography too.

• romogen
    7 years ago

@Kelly Tregaskis Collova That's a great Hortico order, mine just came in today. I'm envious of your windfall with THE REEVE!

@Sheila I'm glad you found General Gallieni locally. It's terrifying seeing all the new RRD posts popping up on these forums. May it never cross the Grand Canyon!

7 years ago

romogen, Roses Unlimited is in S.C. sadly, not local. I do hope it can make it OK through the long trip over here. I could only find it at the one place. It seems more nurseries would carry it. I think they grow in greenhouses there so that should be protective against RRD. I agree, let's never let RRD cross the Rockies or the Grand Canyon.

• marymm2
    7 years ago

Sheila I ordered three Heaven on Earth Roses about two years ago from RU. They were perfectly packed, actually stapled into compartments, and very well leafed out and completely healthy.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Kate!!! - Your Mrs. John Laing is gorgeous!!!! Does it repeat bloom and smell great? Maybe I should get that one next year. Wowza!!

Carol

• romogen
    7 years ago

Oh that's right, they're on the other coast. I ordered roses from RU last year around summer time, they arrived perfectly fine with a phytosanitary certificate. I have another order coming from them in a few months. The soil in the pot might arrive a bit loose, just tamp it down or top it off with more potting mix and water deeply. Unless it has a firm rootball and lifts cleanly from the pot, I leave it alone; I allowed my last order to grow a whole year in the original RU pots before repotting to minimize stress.

I am very glad you tracked down GG, but also a little saddened that once common roses are now so difficult to find.

If you haven't got one already, may I suggest a copy of The Combined Rose List. An invaluable resource that I use almost as often as HMF:

http://www.combinedroselist.com/

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

rosecanadian, with my allergies, my nose doesn't work too well so I'm not the best judge of fragrance, but HMF says this about Mrs. John Laing: "Strong, centifolia, tea fragrance." I have no idea what that means.

One word of warning--I hate spraying for BS and usually tolerate only roses that are at least above average BS resistant. Mrs. John Laing has more BS problems than I'm usually willing to put up with, --major reason I hesitated on replacing her when she didn't survive last winter. But I did. She's not the worst BSer I ever encountered in the past in my gardens. Just wish she were a bit better. : (

Repeat bloom is about average--there is a pause after each blooming cycle. Heaviest blooming in the spring, of course.

Kate

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

Yay, today my 3 reds get their new home today

My husband built me 3 4x4 planter boxes. Today we are bringing in a couple of yards of soil. Out of Rosenheim, Rock and Roll and Florentina get to start thriving.

Mrs John Laing is one pretty color

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Kate - thanks for the info! I thought that MJL would have a sumptuous old rose fragrance - yet it has a tea fragrance. Meh. :)

Carol

• romogen
    6 years ago

I picked up five MISS AMBER and a PERFUME TIGER at Safeway today. #2 gallon potted $14.99. I was looking for MA this spring during bodybag season but Coiners didn't have any.

@bethNorCal9 As promised, here's the first bloom of your gorgeous SUNSET CELEBRATION!

6 years ago

I miss my Sunset Celebration

Yours is beautiful. I always loved that yummy peachy color

• marymm2
    6 years ago

Beautiful pics of Sunset Celebration. That rose is such a winner.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Potted roses at Safeway?? Wow. Ours never gets anything like that. SC is gorgeous Benaminh!! I'm not sure if any of the SUMMER SONGs have made it. I'm down to 2, and they're both lookin' kinda "iffy." I may have to try rooting some more stems after it gets done blooming...

• romogen
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No worries, I can wait on SS. Sunset Celebration is surprisingly blackspot resistant, but not immune, beautiful dark green foliage, and the fragrance is a medium strong fruity blend. Beth, you better find a spot in your garden, because I'm shipping you the above plant this Autumn!

• Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    6 years ago

I picked up Oklahoma, Eden, and Chicago Peace. I've been trying to decide the best spot to plant each one. I might have to take out more grass in my yard to make room for more flowers

• romogen
    6 years ago

J'adore Oklahoma, be sure to plant it somewhere near a path where you can stick your nose in the flowers, the perfume is intoxicating.

Today I received my J&P bareroots after 7 days in transit via UPS ground. They look good. I decided to skip Daring Spirit & Summer Nights because they were tiny own-root quarts.

Wildfire

Sundance

Hypnotized!

6 years ago

I just ordered a dark desire from Jackson and Perkins how do you think that will come . Will it be a band or do you think it will still be bare root?

6 years ago

Romogen, you got some nice roses. I have been tempted to get Wildfire for a while now. I look forward to your pictures and your review on that particular Rose . Hope you got in on the great sales are having

• zz top Northern Illinois 6a
    6 years ago

Sigh, I ordered too many and my garden is only 20 ' x 20'

tiddly winks

creme de la creme

coffee bean

Ghislaine de Feligonde

souvenir de doctor jamain

popcorn drift

twilight zone

koko loko

snow pavement

pat austin

dakota redwing

Joyce Barden

Beautiful Anne

Distant Drums

There were 3 others which I gave away.

I need some sort of rose rehab.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

zztop - Don't we all!!! LOL I ordered too many too...sheesh...when will I ever learn. But I had success yesterday - I was at Walmart and they had beautiful rose bushes - they must have just come in. I was thinking of getting Maria Callas and Electron...but I decided that I only want to get roses that curl my toes because I have such little room left for my pots (overwinter in the garage - only so much room) :) Yay for me...wish they had had something I wanted more....bad Carol!! Bad!!

Carol :)

• zz top Northern Illinois 6a
    6 years ago

In my climate I fully expect a few to not survive. Then I won't buy anymore next year. Yeah.

• marymm2
    6 years ago

I'm looking forward to picture shares of all these great selections. Some of these I have never seen in gardens in my town. Some I don't even know about.

• romogen
    6 years ago

@Kristine Thank you. What Dark Desire size did you select from J&P When you placed the order? Regardless, the good news is DD grows perfectly well on its own roots. I just picked up two 1yr field grown DD from Newflora at Lowe's.

I've been wanting Wildfire for some time and serendipitously got all three @ 50% off.

6 years ago

It looks like it will be 2 qt.

• romogen
    6 years ago

I missed out on General Gallieni, but to console myself, I instead picked these up at The Celebration of Old Roses:

--VINTAGE GARDENS--

Alexander

Baronne Henriette de Snoy

Belle Isis

Cary Grant

Gribaldo Nicola

Marina VID

Mme E Souffrain

Mme Lucien Duranthon

Old Master VID

Orange Velvet

--TOM LIGGETT--

Beautiful Blanche

"Fay Wolfe"

Happenstance

Parfum de Blanche

Patty Click

Red Planet (Precious Platinum ?)

--HERITAGE ROSE GROUP--

Arcata Pink Globe

Excellenz von Schubert

Jude the Obscure

Lady Hillingdon, CL

Lordly Oberon

Mlle Franziska Kruger

Miriam Wilkins

Rush

Sally Holmes

Souvenir d'un Ami

R. californica X R. eglanteria

R. banksia normalis 'single white'

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Can't wait for pictures! :) I'm especially interested in your Cary Grant.

Carol

• romogen
    6 years ago

Cary Grant is the same as Bushveld Dawn (from Ludwig's). I have both, so there's a good chance of flowers. In the interim, here's a picture from last year:

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Oh my !!! I had the chance to order that once...I should have!!! That's beautiful!!! Do you like the fragrance? Does it give lots of flowers?

Carol

6 years ago

So many roses that I have never heard of . I can't wait for pictures.

Cary Grant is a beautiful color

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

@romogen - I have also never heard of half of those on your list. You will be doing a lot of planting! Can't wait to see pics of all of these.

Well I have completed my spring rose shopping for the year. Plus, I'm completely out of garden space. So this year I planted:

Pat Austin × 3

Molineaux × 2

Canadian Shield

Arizona

Carding Mill

Scepter'd isle

Strawberry Hill

Ebb tide

Rainbow Niagara

Wild blue yonder

Bolero

Eden

Royal jubilee

Crocus rose

About Face

Rosanna

Benjamin Britten

Singing in the rain

Cherry lady (Fiji)

Can't wait to see the blooms, they are all starting to bud up!

6 years ago

Wow, Blondie, you have a great variety yourself. I can't wait for pictures

• romogen
    6 years ago

My final rose order of the season is shipping on Monday. I actually placed this order with Roses Unlimited back in January, but shipping was postponed due to holidays, and one of the roses not being big enough to ship.

Antico Amore

Golden Zest

Ivory Tower (replacement)

Jesse Hildreth

Natasha Monet

Osiria

Pat Henry

Summer Memories

Tempi Moderni

Uwe Seeler

I'm a bit worried that 7 days in transit cross country during a heat wave will damage the plants.

So far I've lost a handful of Hortico bareroots, most of the ones with waxed canes died. I need to mention that to them....

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Romogen - Golden Zest is the only one I recognize. You have a lot of interesting and uncommon roses coming!!

I've got some bands in transit from Rogue Valley Roses:
    - Granada

- Geranium Red

- Friend's Forever

- Gruss an Coburg

- Hoag House Cream.

Hopefully they'll be great roses!!

Carol