SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustang_guy

Update on 2016 plantings mid-Ohio valley

I live in Parkersburg, WV, USA. Last spring, I planted 8 David Austin roses in my yard. You can look at the above pics for details on the planting success and failures. Without question, the Gertrude Jekyll did the best. Not only that, it had the best fragrance by a mile.

The 6 plants I put by the fence were planted in deep holes with manure, topsoil, and a red clay mix. They got morning sun and evening shade. I tried to keep them watered, but the water just seemed to never fill up in the holes. The trees seemed to not let rain water hit them, and the surrounding soil seemed to pull away from the soil I planted the roses in. There were big gaps which my hose could not fill up with water It perked out I believe through a shale layer and then out the bank behind them. This spring, I plan on partially excavating the surrounding soil so I can add some water retention crystals, and pure planters soil. I think this will make a huge difference. The Jude the Obscure was obviously RMV infected. David Austin is sending a replacement this spring.

The two plants in back by the deck were interesting. The holes back there weren't quite as deep due to hard pan, but they were planted in 100% planter's top soil. They took water well, and got a lot more natural rain water than the 6 plants by the fence. The Teasing Georgia indeed teased me. It was a hardy plant, but I never saw a bud or bloom! I am hopeful to see one this year. What else can I say about it. It's a big plant with no roses on it. :( The Gertrude Jekyll was by far the hardiest plant I put in the ground. It was the first one to bloom, and provided roses all summer. What's more, the aroma of these roses is to die for. It is not only the best smelling rose I planted last spring, but the best smelling I can remember in my life. I have already ordered 9 more for this coming season.

I will provide an update when the buds start this spring. I will share how winter affects all these plants. All except the Gentle Hermione which never bloomed, and just died in late-spring. Too "gentle" I suppose...

Comments (6)