SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Inauguration

Texas_Gem
7 years ago

Anyone watching the inauguration this morning?

Comments (264)

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

New Demonstration has been announced for April 15th--Release Your Tax Returns.

Texas_Gem thanked Annegriet
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I don't know why. It's already been proven he hasn't paid taxes in over 10 years. He even said in the debate with Hillary that he took advantage of the tax laws created by the government. He then added, "That makes me smart".

It's also been announced today he won't reveal them anyway. He's already president, so it's a moot point.

I didn't vote for him nor did I support him. All the demonstrations & public outrage isn't going to make him step down.

Am I happy about it? No. It's unfair. But as Joan Crawford said to Christina, "Nobody said life was fair".

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Inaugural Day January 20, 2009

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks for the link, paigect, I missed the performance and figured I'd have to wait until the DVD came out. I forgot about how everything shows up on YouTube. I'm a long-time admirer of Pete Seeger too, and have been a member of the Hudson River Sloop Clearwater organization for years. The member sails were a great experience (no, Pete Seeger wasn't on the boat and I never met him). Did you know that there's a movement to nominate Pete Seeger for a Nobel Peace Prize? Sounds good to me. sooey: I'm afraid I did more shoveling than dancing yesterday. Speaking about the speed of the internet, I read yesterday about how Obama used a shaka hand sign to acknowledge his high school band. I'd never heard of this, so of course I googled it. The Wikipedia entry for "Shaka sign" had already been updated to include Obama's use of it. I just checked again, and it now includes a photo as well (see the footnote). Claire
    ...See More

Informal first attempt at table for Inauguration

Q

Comments (14)
    Printer, what a great idea to do an Inauguration table! That throw really ties it altogether, good use of repurposing something! And I like how you used those appropriate items that belonged to special people in your life. That soup looks delicious! I sure am noticing that red/white/blue decorations have a lot of use for my American friends on this forum! You seem to have so many patriotic occasions to use them especially lately with your election and Inauguration (which by the way, was watched by many in Canada too!) DD
    ...See More

Inauguration Day Parties Anyone?

Q

Comments (34)
    terri, It must have been good...the plate looked like the dog had licked it clean. I didn't get a slice. It was a come & go as you please thing that lasted from 11:00-11:00. I was only there about an hour...wanted to watch at home in case I got all teary-eyed. All in all the food was pretty good. We had the obligatory Mystic Pizza, meatball subs (messy but good!), clam chowder, chili w/toppings, chippy/dippy munchies, several unknown casseroles that were pretty well gone by the time I arrived, a cold sandwich platter, & tons of cookies, brownies, cakes, etc. I don't know what the evening round of food was since I left shortly after the speech (only 3 minute ride home). /tricia
    ...See More

2010 Inaugural Lamp Design Contest

Q

Comments (13)
    I declare Graywings our Champion Lamp Builder 2010! Your grand prize is a no-expenses paid trip to Austin, MN, home of Hormel! Your Porky Pole Lamp lamp will go into production immediately and be available for purchase beginning next week.
    ...See More
  • sleeperblues
    7 years ago

I have my Senator's number in my phone, and have already called to oppose the confirmation of Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education. A woefully unqualified creationist. That's what you do, and then you watch the vote and you hold your Senator accountable for the way they voted. I made sure that Ron Johnson knows I will be watching. You don't spew hate, you use your anger and frustration to make your voice heard.

Texas_Gem thanked sleeperblues
  • User
    7 years ago

Also - it's not Trumps fault he won. Hillary had the majority popular vote.

If anyone is to blame, it's the electoral college. And we know that's not changing either.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • Suzieque
    7 years ago

Prior to the election he said that he would release his tax returns after the election. Now he's announced that he won't. I'm hoping that that's not the only thing he said he'd do that he won't.

What that means is that 1) I believe he should release his tax returns; he said he would, so do it and 2) if he's going to break that promise, maybe there will be other things that he promised he'd do (that I don't want to have happen) that he won't do.

Texas_Gem thanked Suzieque
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

He already did break his promise suzieque. How can he be a president of the people, and sign something that costs American citizens money, giving it to the bank? It doesn't compute.

He's a president for the banks is what that says. Look at his actions people! Already back stabbing.

Texas_Gem thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Chi
    7 years ago

I do remember his comments about not paying taxes and being smart. I also remember getting angry about that. I don't blame him for using the legal loopholes, but as someone who pays nearly 50% taxes between federal and state, it's very frustrating to see that happen. Especially seeing him brag about how smart it makes him! It would be nice if everyone paid their share, especially those who can afford it.

I know Obama was fighting to close those loopholes and see the millionaires and billionaires pay more, but I cannot imagine Trump will continue to fight for that.

Texas_Gem thanked Chi
  • Michael
    7 years ago

Chi,

I can think of many billionaires who use the tax system to increase their wealth daily.

Warren Buffet is best at it, but it seems he's loved by all. He's willing to pay more, but not until it's law.

Did you know?

One of the biggest tax cheats in American history, Marc Rich, whose pardon was facilitated by Bill & Hillary Clinton, and former Obama AG Eric Holder. Probably the most unjust pardon since 1776.

Americans have short memories about their own party when it comes to prosecuting the party they hate.

Texas_Gem thanked Michael
  • lily316
    7 years ago

One of the problems is t's dealings with Russia. The sex tapes that Putin has over t's head are very troubling in the least. The golden shower tape would not be good PR for t. Warren Buffet is beloved because he gives millions and millions away every year as do the Gates. T buys portraits of himself with his foundation's money.

Texas_Gem thanked lily316
  • golfergrrl
    7 years ago

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Texas_Gem thanked golfergrrl
  • Michael
    7 years ago

Lily,

How do you know how much President Trump donates? Have you seen his tax returns?

• User
    7 years ago

I'd rather Trump teach us how "not" to pay taxes like he does.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • lily316
    7 years ago

No, I haven't, Brush. So why do you think that is since every president since Nixon has released them? Putin has damaging evidence of him, and he, Bannon and more of the ALT right movement have ties to Russia. You answer the question. If he has nothing to hide, why doesn't he release like he promised over and over he would?

• golfergrrl
    7 years ago

" If he has nothing to hide, why doesn't he release like he promised over and over he would?" Your logic is flawed. You're assuming he has something to hide. For the sake of argument, I'll assume he has nothing to hide. He does not have to release his tax statements!! Your glass is so half empty while mine is half full, thank you. Your negativity, unverified accusations, doomsday outlook and outright wrong information is downright depressing.

• User
    7 years ago

I don't see him hiding anything either. He made billions & paid no taxes. End of story. What good is seeing it on paper??

Its not like he's going to step down or give into public demand. We've seen that in the past few weeks.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • lily316
    7 years ago

If he has nothing to hide then why not? He said no one wants to know. BS. Most people want to know because he's a shady business man with ties all over the world and will just use the office to get his brand even richer rather than serve the country. It's always been all about him and how he can dupe everyone.

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

Scott, the question you should be asking is what more can be discovered about Trump by seeing his tax returns. I can't answer that since my tax returns don't look anything like his, but I know others here can answer that question. There's more to it than him not paying his fair share to fund our military, VA services, etc.

Texas_Gem thanked mayflowers
  • Suzieque
    7 years ago

He said he'd release them after the election, now he's saying he won't. Whether he has something to hide or not is one concern, but the other is that he's not going to do something that he promised to do.

• golfergrrl
    7 years ago

Politicians make promises.....that's what they do. Don't feign surprise. It's interesting that some of you, while reading the internet, are picking and choosing what you want to believe...totally rejecting any contrary views or opinions. While calling Trump supporters ignorant, you're showing yours with your narrow-mindedness. Some of you don't have a clue how politics work. You know what? The sun will still rise tomorrow.

• User
    7 years ago

May, that's a good question. Maybe he doesn't file any. I don't know how to do a billionaires taxes or the tax laws he's using for 20 years. Maybe there's nothing to show, and that's why it's not shown.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • Suzieque
    7 years ago

Aw, jeez. C'mon. Nobody is feigning surprise. Put away your 'tude. Every "side" on this thread is spewing the same hate, picked-and-chosen talking points, and just trying to stick it to the other. Surprise that he's breaking promises? Surprise that politicians break promises? No - none here. Doesn't mean it's ok.

• chisue
    7 years ago

It's not OK. susieque? Thanks for actually saying it. So...Trump lied to us about releasing his returns. You're OK that he won't, but you're not OK with the lie?

I wish people would stop saying things like 'falsehoods' or 'alternate truths' and just use the three-letter word when it clearly applies.

Texas_Gem thanked chisue
  • Suzieque
    7 years ago

NO, Chisue. Please read. I'm NOT Ok with him not releasing them. I said that in a message further up. I WANT to see his returns. I find it inexcusable that he's not releasing them. My goodness - the boundaries of who is where and what one cares about and yada yada are sure mixing together on this thread. Much like, I'm afraid, in the "real world" of where we are right now. Everyone wants to pick a fight.

And, by the way, in case anyone is keeping score, I didn't vote for him, would never vote for him, and think we're in big, big trouble. But I also hope that he proves me wrong. I doubt it, but I hope.

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

Of course he filed taxes. He's been lying for a year that they're under audit.

Everything Trump said was only a promise because he never put forth any coherent policies. So he was elected based solely on promises, along with his bullying demeanor that some mistake for strength.

Texas_Gem thanked mayflowers
  • Michael
    7 years ago

One thing that's noticeable among devout Democrats is, guilty until proven innocent. Unless of course, it's Hillary.

• chisue
    7 years ago

Brushworks -- You continue to 'paint' anyone who thinks Trump is a phony as a "Democrat". Wrong. Heck, even a lot of Republicans have posted there that *they* see a con man. It's not 'political'. In fact, I suspect Trump would never have been elected had a lot of registered Democrats been taken in by his empty rhetoric.

Texas_Gem thanked chisue
  • Annegriet
    7 years ago

I am concerned about a man who would suggest we have a Muslim Registry and stated that women should be punished for abortion ( I know he walked that one back). We're going to build a wall. Oh wait, no we aren't. I'm going to put all my businesses interests in a blind trust. Oops--my bad-- I'm president now--I don't have to do that. What does he believe? Those are among my biggest concerns. Should he release he tax returns? Yes. Stand by just one thing you've said Donald.

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

One thing that's noticeable among devout Democrats is, guilty until proven innocent. Unless of course, it's Hillary.

One thing that's noticeable among Trump supporters is that they like to over-generalize.

Texas_Gem thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

are y'all still going on about this? Find your happy place people :-) All this stress is not good for you.

Hillary killed people and you are all bitching because Trump lied on his tax returns (or whatever you're saying) . I am shaking my damn head.

Texas_Gem thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

Don't know if she killed anyone, other than by her cocky stare, but the stress and happy place advice is good!

Texas_Gem thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Texas_Gem thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

And ladies, please research Sharia Law if you'd like to feel like your liberties are threatened. Is that really what you want for yourselves? Hillary is all for allowing Sharia Law on US soils. You think that you have it bad now, just do your own research.

• Chi
    7 years ago

And if Hillary had won, there would be upset people too, with different reasons. But she didn't. Not everyone who is against Trump supported Hillary.

Texas_Gem thanked Chi
  • Chi
    7 years ago

PKponder, what's your source for "Hillary is all for allowing Sharia Law on US soils?"

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-sharia-law/

Texas_Gem thanked Chi
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

As far as I know they were the only two choices if you didn't want to just throw your vote away!

He's an ass that can't filter anything and says ugly things about women, but he may be just the ass that we need to get back to the America that I feel allegiance with.

We as women are tough enough to handle some disgusting remarks as long as we aren't actually forced into servitude to men. I would go down in a blaze first. I will fight tooth and nail to keep Sharia Law out of my country. It has no place here, we are equals to men and I like it that way.

I was upset that Barrack Obama was elected in the past two terms, but I sure didn't take to the streets carrying signs, burning cars and smashing windows. He was not the person that I voted for either time and during his Inaugurations, I felt physically ill. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes not.

• sephia_wa
    7 years ago

Scott, you're right. Who cares if he paid taxes or not. I do care though if he paid taxes. What we should care about is who he does business with. Is he doing business with an entity that he can regulate legislation over? Does he do business with Russian companies? Do they have anything on him, that would influence how he runs the U.S.? Etc....the only way to learn of who he does business with is to see his tax returns.

Texas_Gem thanked sephia_wa
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

pk, you need to take some of your own advice. And be a bit more critical (in the sense of thinking/analyzing) and skeptical about what you read and hear.

Texas_Gem thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • e p
    7 years ago

Wow - look it's an alternative fact

aka a falsehood... http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-sharia-law/

I did not watch the inauguration, though not because I oppose Trump, which I do, but rather that I find most pomp and ceremony and self aggrandizement to be quite boring and I don't recall having ever watched one, whether or not the I felt the outcome of the election was good.

I do not find that there is any conflict in opposing a elected official and being a good citizen - in fact I would say it is much, much worse to follow blindly and obediently just because someone holds office. Look at the issues, inform yourself and keep your own mind. To suggest that now that the election has been decided that it would be wrong to continue to support what you believe in and oppose what you don't is frightening.

“It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.”- Benjamin Franklin

Texas_Gem thanked e p
  • e p
    7 years ago

Then again we could simply take Donald Trump's own advice, given on the night of the 2012 election...

"We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!" - why thank you, I think we'll try that one out

"This election is a total sham and a travesty. We are not a democracy!"

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy." - I can't say I disagree - the electoral college is a system developed in a very different time and place and was never even intended to be a democratic process...

“He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!” (this is of course an alternative fact... the outcome was Obama 65,915,795 Romney 60,933,504, but the sentiment is appreciated)

“The phoney electoral college made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one!” -um, er don't you mean won...

OTOH - Clinton 65,845,063 Trump 62,980,160....

now WHO exactly lost the popular vote and won the election???

Texas_Gem thanked e p
  • User
    7 years ago

PK, yup. Still going on. We have a lot to get out and work thru in our heads and that takes time, even if nothing changes.

I don't agree Hillary killed people herself. Like she said in the debate, no decision in this country is made by one person.

Hillary had her issues too. I don't know anyone who's been in the government for 30 years that doesn't have dirt on them, or clean hands.

Sephia, you're right. We know for sure he got his steel from China but his Russian ties...not so sure.

All in all, I want China & Russia on our side. We don't want a nuclear war. I hope Trump can do that & rally the countries together.

Like the song at Disneyland. It's A Small World Afterall.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • lily316
    7 years ago

The egotist in chief said tonight at a dinner the reason he lost the popular vote by three million was there were all illegals voting. Morning Joe said his first days could not have gone worse. He actually went to the CIA and stood before their board honoring their dead and complained about the reporting of the size of his crowd. He even brought people to stand in the hall and clap at his speech. Seasoned CIA people were appalled. This guy has zero class and is certifiably NUTS. Besides he needs to have spell check. He tweeted honer today meaning honor.

• User
    7 years ago

Oh, Bless his heart. As we say down south. Wink wink.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • Annegriet
    7 years ago

I mailed a letter to President Trump last night asking him to not repeal Obamacare. Don't Make America Sick Again!

• Michael
    7 years ago

crl,

I'm not a Trump supporter, I support the American election system.

You might feel better if you start your day off with prayer instead of bitching.

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

Telling someone to start your day off with prayer is out of line.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

brush, annie's right. Rethink it? Please?

Texas_Gem thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Elizabeth
    7 years ago

Brush:

Texas_Gem thanked Elizabeth
  • Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

What exactly have I said here that is "bitching"?

Texas_Gem thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I would just like to thank everyone for being mostly civil on what can most certainly be considered a hot topic. I was bragging to husband last night that I was impressed that this thread is still going and hasn't been removed by moderators. :)

Civil discourse is, I believe, the only way to improve things in this country. At the end of the day, we may still not agree but at least we listened.

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

What Texas_Gem said! I agree.