SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_covacci

Shallow, rocky soil for fruit trees; Class VII -- bad choice?

Steve Covacci
7 years ago

Hi,

Bellow is a description of a site I've been looking at. If you don't mind, please tell whether you'd guess it might be good for growing persimmons, paw paws, native plums, and sour cherries, etc. - in light of these updated details.

Soil Series: RnfD -- Farmington/Galway Complex.

This is a complex of shallow, well-drained, loamy slightly acidic soils that are shallow; only about 20" to bedrock. Bedrock is calcareous (dolomite limestone), with fissures.

Around the clearing, there are many somewhat mature trees, for some reason; poplars, ash, etc. The soil series there is described (NRCS soil survey) as being Class 7-s. The soil has rocky outcroppings scattered around, but not everywhere. The water capacity is about 6 to 7 centimeters. There are spots as shallow as 16" and spots as deep as 40" also.The soil has rocky outcroppings scattered around, but not everywhere. The water capacity is about 6 to 7 centimeters. There are spots as shallow as 16" and spots as deep as 40" also.

"Class VII (7) soils have very severe limitations that make them unsuited to cultivation and that restrict their use mainly to grazing, forestland, or wildlife." "Subclass s is made up of soils that have soil limitations within the rooting zone, such as shallowness of the rooting zone, stones, low moisture-holding capacity, low fertility that is difficult to correct, and salinity or sodium content."

The surficial rock has been cleared from much of the surface, and these maps are not 100% accurate, so perhaps Class 6-s can be applied here instead of 7-s; the near by site is a slated as 7-s, and a variant of this series.

I'd plant trees as small seedlings, and I won't need to be doing a lot of tilling. I'd put mulch on the surface.

Due to rockiness, irrigation might be difficult -- but I'm considering putting in a series of channels to divert water though out, starting with a retention pond I'd create, if I purchased this property.

Please let me know what you think -- thanks,

S

Comments (2)